The I chord in major...scale choices + substitutions.

• Thread starter Thread starter degenaro
  • Start date Start date
Using Adam's right now and you can pick out what works and what does not. Also half and full bends can be worked out once you get the hang of it.

Ok, back to the jam.

Oh yeah, the book I have is Chords, Scales, and Arpeggios by Al Politano.

Digital Jams":b99af said:
Using Adam's right now and you can pick out what works and what does not. Also half and full bends can be worked out once you get the hang of it.

Ok, back to the jam.
Cool Scott...half tone bends rule! :supz:

Just laid something down real quick...plugged direct into computer..I cheated and played a flat 7 once in a while.

We need Ed to show us how it's done. :D

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=21669

Randy Van Sykes":458e5 said:

Just laid something down real quick...plugged direct into computer..I cheated and played a flat 7 once in a while.

I did not see this track, I was using the first one :D Just downloaded it.

Tonight I kept it simple and just ran about 5 different patterns of major scales, tossed in the blues pentatonic with the evil notes, and then looked at them and got some phrasing ideas. Tomorrow will be nailing the chords I hope and getting my recording stuff back on-line.

Yeah, working with the scales and figuring when and how to bend was pretty cool :) I need to stop landing on the 4ths though, ugly :x

YOur take was great, so are you staying within a pattern like just stripping away the first three notes of the C Ionian and starting on G?

Digital Jams":53add said:
I did not see this track, I was using the first one :D Just downloaded it.

Tonight I kept it simple and just ran about 5 different patterns of major scales, tossed in the blues pentatonic with the evil notes, and then looked at them and got some phrasing ideas. Tomorrow will be nailing the chords I hope and getting my recording stuff back on-line.

Yeah, working with the scales and figuring when and how to bend was pretty cool :) I need to stop landing on the 4ths though, ugly :x

YOur take was great, so are you staying within a pattern like just stripping away the first three notes of the C Ionian and starting on G?
I was just playing in C and C lydian kinda randomly, throwing in the odd flat 7 and chromatic.

I've never heard of an 'Ionian'...sounds like something that would clean the air. :D
I know enough about theory to get me by for the gigs and stuff I do...so this stuff can get over my head pretty quickly, but I'd like to learn more.

Ed is the Theory Ninja...I am a humble student. :D

Ionian is another name for the I scale or the Major scale. Just like Aeolian is another name for the vi scale or the Natural minor scale.

If this helps any, here are the modes according to the scale degree they start on (I'll use C major as an example):

C - Ionian
D - Dorian
E - Phrygian
F - Lydian
G - Mixolydian
A - Aeolian
B - Locrian

Now as for modes vs. keycenter...
You guys aren't gonna tell me me i's easier for you to switch between C ionian and C lydian than going C major to G major (but targeting the notes of a C chord)?
Point I'm trying to make is this most everyone knows and can handle a C major scale, now merely shifting to the G major when it comes to the major7#11 chord in RVS piece ought to be easier for intermediate players than going..."lydian...think #11, think #11!!!!"

I'm gonna throw some shit down later today...lets see how my work load is. :) Might do it at work.

Yeah for me the C-G major route would be way easier and yeah it sounded cool over the Cmaj7#11 change.

As for the lydian change, I just told the C maj and stripped the first 3 notes off the pattern......yeah I cheated so sue me.

degenaro":fed0f said:
Now as for modes vs. keycenter...
You guys aren't gonna tell me me i's easier for you to switch between C ionian and C lydian than going C major to G major (but targeting the notes of a C chord)?
Point I'm trying to make is this most everyone knows and can handle a C major scale, now merely shifting to the G major when it comes to the major7#11 chord in RVS piece ought to be easier for intermediate players than going..."lydian...think #11, think #11!!!!"

I'm gonna throw some shit down later today...lets see how my work load is. :) Might do it at work.

I'm confused about which approach is better modes or keycenter :neutral:

Shiny_Surface":4b74d said:
I'm confused about which approach is better modes or keycenter :neutral:

Better? Whatever you prefer, there's no better.
I'm still doing keycenter because with a Rock background it's a;ways easier for me to BS my way through shit I'm not having an easy time with.

Randy Van Sykes":28a29 said:
I was just playing in C and C lydian kinda randomly, throwing in the odd flat 7 and chromatic.

I've never heard of an 'Ionian'...sounds like something that would clean the air. :D
I know enough about theory to get me by for the gigs and stuff I do...so this stuff can get over my head pretty quickly, but I'd like to learn more.

Ed is the Theory Ninja...I am a humble student. :D

Kick ass Adam!!

Randy Van Sykes":9984c said:

Sounds great...however I hear the C as dominant the way you're playing over it. Gotta get more coffee before listening to stuff.

degenaro":62b12 said:
Sounds great...however I hear the C as dominant the way you're playing over it. Gotta get more coffee before listening to stuff.
Yes..sorry, at times it is...little spice, little tension. :D

I didn't see if it was talked about but for that C Major clip, could you also solo in relative A minor?

Code001":b4343 said:
I didn't see if it was talked about but for that C Major clip, could you also solo in relative A minor?
Seeing that A natural minor are the same notes than C major...absolutely. Just you'd make it work against a C chord.

Chubtone":8ab46 said:
Ionian is another name for the I scale or the Major scale. Just like Aeolian is another name for the vi scale or the Natural minor scale.
Thanks Chub... :D

MitchSchaft":6143f said:
You guys can attach mp3's and wavs if you need to.
I tried to upload the 2 backings I made so they'd be around for a long time for people to use...it seemed to upload, but then I got an error message when they were done and they weren't there (didn't upload)

:?:

Back