The I chord in major...scale choices + substitutions.

• Thread starter Thread starter degenaro
  • Start date Start date
Ed,

I'd be willing to record some ii-V-I or any other chord progessions that you can solo over to demonstrate theory or whatever.

:)

degenaro":dee00 said:
Here ya go 2 quickie C major loops...
http://www.eddegenaro.com/theory/Cmajorlloop.mp3

http://www.eddegenaro.com/theory/Cthingloop.mp3

Cool, when I get home tonight I'll lay down some chords over that if you don't mind :)

Shiny_Surface":2cc76 said:
Cool, when I get home tonight I'll lay down some chords over that if you don't mind :)
That's why there up there...for ya'all to have fun with.

Loops helped a lot Ed! In fact, it forced me to memorize the C major scale across the entire neck! Thanks!

Shiny_Surface":d4bfb said:

Excellent, thanks bro!

Of course Ed had to add some funk to the second clip.

Code001":23263 said:
Loops helped a lot Ed! In fact, it forced me to memorize the C major scale across the entire neck! Thanks!
Now play the scale up and down nothing than the g or b string.

Digital Jams":47557 said:
Excellent, thanks bro!

Of course Ed had to add some funk to the second clip.
Actually that one I did first and decided I needed to simplify it more. :)

batotman":7d570 said:
I guess I'm gonna have to wait for the beginners forum. I don't know a single thing you wrote. I just play em. :(

You should take some of this down and use your time better....serious.

Nothing better than learning new ways to express yourself.

Ok, so before I get down to the basement tonight............

Cmaj...so are you saying that you should either play Lydian or a C maj scale only or are there other alternatives? Or are we keeping this simple?

I guess I am going to alternate between the two scales on the two loops and move around the neck, please tell me anything else I have to focus on.

Digital Jams":210a5 said:
Ok, so before I get down to the basement tonight............

Cmaj...so are you saying that you should either play Lydian or a C maj scale only or are there other alternatives? Or are we keeping this simple?

I guess I am going to alternate between the two scales on the two loops and move around the neck, please tell me anything else I have to focus on.
Well two ways of working with that. One start comping out all the chords in the first post over the bass line. preferably record them. The ones you dig play the scales that are up there for them.
So for the basic forms that would be C major pentatonic, C major, C lydian.
Then throw the hip shit on the and make it happen like A melodic minor over a Cmaj9#11#5 or A harmonic minor.

Digital Jams":ef031 said:
Adam, can you bang out a quick loop for us to start with the first lesson??

Did I mention what a sexified man you are btw :)
Looks like Ed already did...you guys are gonna learn alot for that sombitch. 8)

I did bang out a backing quickly as well earlier with a keyboard, so I may as well throw it up to...more to jam with.

...really simple C triad, after about 2 minutes I added in a C#11 chord to alternate every 2 bars (for extra fun playing the C lydian scale over).

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=21664

Randy Van Sykes":d50f7 said:

I did bang out a backing quickly as well earlier with a keyboard, so I may as well throw it up to...more to jam with.

...really simple C triad, after about 2 minutes I added in a C#11 chord to alternate every 2 bars (for extra fun playing the C lydian scale over).

C to Cmaj7#11? Post it already. And then do one with a Cmaj7b5 to Cmaj9#11!!! :)

degenaro":18b20 said:
Well two ways of working with that. One start comping out all the chords in the first post over the bass line. preferably record them. The ones you dig play the scales that are up there for them.
So for the basic forms that would be C major pentatonic, C major, C lydian.
Then throw the hip shit on the and make it happen like A melodic minor over a Cmaj9#11#5 or A harmonic minor.

It is going to take me several days to get the fingering down on several of the chords, time to pull out the LP scaled geetar for easier reach. I do know over half of the chords listed.

I will be loaded with questions tomorrow, have been diving into the link Adam posted to form scales and I need to dive into that theory.

Randy Van Sykes":50995 said:

Thanks!! I could cheat and throw a Govan lick on this, he has something simular and uses the Maj pentatonic and plays it in 4ths accending and decending. 1-4-1-3.......4-1-3-1....etc............ :)

degenaro":13164 said:
C to Cmaj7#11? Post it already. And then do one with a Cmaj7b5 to Cmaj9#11!!! :)
That would be some hippness....I just flatted the 5 in the chord...ala Zeppelin style. ;)

Back