The JCM900slx is the best Marshall 👹👹

• Thread starter Thread starter ChuggNorris
  • Start date Start date
Not what I was expecting to read in this thread. Shit lol. I have one in route, arriving Friday!
A Helios? I wouldn't write it off just yet. I've owned the 50 and the 100. It's no slouch. Vanilla isn't how I'd describe it... At all.. No punch? Please... I think some forget there's a "Bottom" knob right on the back with a "Punch" switch. There's plenty of low end, and adjustability.

Last edited:
I’ve heard plenty of great 900s live too through the years, from what I gather you really gotta push them to get the goods

This was like a decade ago around the last time saw him. Tone was good, performance nowhere near his heyday. God damn they crushed it back in the day though, wish I could’ve seen him at his prime.

Hell skolnick (sp) raves about the mode 4… the amp game is a funny business…that’s for sure….

back when i was in a band, my other guitarist used a 50 watt slx and i had my fja modded 5150. that was our sound for a really long time until we both switched to boogie marks. I sold him some old siemens el34's that really brought that slx to life. I have a lot of experience with those, and i'll agree that they are one of the best marshalls for high gain and i really liked it, but i favored the 5150 overall as well. he bought the thing for peanuts back in the early 2000's. i think 4 or 500.

It's just how I feel.

View attachment 340194

It's so brutal and capable in the right hands. It hangs WITH a diezel herbert in the room. Which may be hard to believe... but it does. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 340185

The Sensativiy + Gain controls on the preamp plus the dual masters. Work so well together and cover early plexi tones all the way PAST hotrodded jcm800 tones with balls to spare. You can make it sound neutered like a current modded marshall or you can dial in some really thick usable bass. I lowered the bias a bit. They run HOT in stock trim. Benefit from being lowered in my opinion.

View attachment 340200

I've officially had this amp longer than any other amp with the Archon 100 being next after that.

View attachment 340188

Whats really funny is how so many used to hate on the amp and claim it had loose low end, not enough low end, not tight, blah blah.

View attachment 340197

These people simply didn't know what the fact they were talking about. It's so heavy and has just the right amount of squish under the fingers. Sounds incredible through Veteran 30's and Avatar/fane H75 speakers. Also greenbacks but I prefer the bass delivery of the others.

The right speakers and dialing, it stands so tall right up to a modern amp that cost 6 times as much.

View attachment 340191

Such an under - rated and badly used classic.

View attachment 340206

I've previously fixed the BR8 and recapped the entire thing (6 years ago) and it's been one of my main amps for years. It just hangs and hangs. Chuggy. Chunky. Heavy as a whaleshark.

View attachment 340212
Custom bricks?

This ain't a common 900 and 900s don't sound thin unless you dial them that way.

You used them wrong bro, it's OK.

I'll put the SLX against any boosted 800 you got and not break a sweat doing it.

The 800 cult always cries when anyone steps on the toes. It's okay and I understand. 😘
Hahaha nice try.

Every 900, including the SLX, which IS a part of the 900 series btw, sounds thinner than any 800, or JMP. Period.

Everyone that has any experience with both amps, knows this to be true.

If you feel the SLX or any 900 sounds as full as a JCM 800 or JMP anything, well that's user error on YOUR part when it comes to however you dial in the 800 or JMP.

And yes, you have to unleash the volume on ALL of these to get the best out of them.

It's ok bro, be happy with your not-quite-as-good SLX.
We won't hold it against you.
Everyone deserves to be happy.
:giggle:

Here you go chugg.

My 98 Bogner XTC. Blue channel boosted. It’s so easy it plays itself on leads and is just jaw dropping when you crank it up.

I like to boost the blue channel over just using the red channel.

I’d sell my coliseum before I sell this Bogner. So many people sell their good sounding one only to get another that doesn’t sound great but the amp is healthy. I’ve seen it countless times on here.

A Helios? I wouldn't write it off just yet. I've owned the 50 and the 100. It's no slouch. Vanilla isn't how I'd describe it... At all.. No punch? Please... I think some forget there's a "Bottom" knob right on the back with a "Punch" switch. There's plenty of low end, and adjustability.
Now that’s what I was hoping for going by specs, reviews and YouTube!

Hahaha nice try.

Every 900, including the SLX, which IS a part of the 900 series btw, sounds thinner than any 800, or JMP. Period.

If you feel the SLX or any 900 sounds as full as a JCM 800 or JMP anything, well that's user error on YOUR part when it comes to however you dial in the 800 or JMP.

And yes, you have to unleash the volume on ALL of these to get the best out of them.

Yes, there are some wonky things in the jcm900 circuits that thin them out. Easily modded though. One of the local shops got a SLX in recently, I need to go check it out. Been awhile since I played a jcm900.,

Hahaha nice try.

Cry somewhere else bro.

My SLX will take a big steaming 💩 on your raggedy boost needing whatever.

I didn't even read the rest of that.
Dillusional people don't interest me.

💀💀

Yes, there are some wonky things in the jcm900 circuits that thin them out. Easily modded though. One of the local shops got a SLX in recently, I need to go check it out. Been awhile since I played a jcm900.,

This is the muddy people opinions that actually allowed the slx to fly under the radar for so long.

This amp is anything but thin.

It's like... telling a brick something with the anti 900 dudes. Doesn't change the fact I switch between that and a HERBERT and the SLX is literally just as thick without being compressed. It fills the room with ease...

Maybe it's these dudes cabs, speakers, or settings.

Can't convince me an amp I have next to one of the thickest amps there is, and I hear it every day in the room... it's anything but thin.

And if you can't make even a dual reverb sound "thick" then it's the player not the amp.

💯💯💯💯💯💯

This was like a decade ago around the last time saw him. Tone was good, performance nowhere near his heyday. God damn they crushed it back in the day though, wish I could’ve seen him at his prime.

im not even into rob zombie but the couple times i caught him at ozzfest he sounded amazing, was not away he used 900s

Absolutely! I don't know who started the "tubes hotter is better sound" thing. In my experience it loosens the lows and makes shit mushy.

I also bias colder. Like 50-55% of dissipation.

I think I'm running 6l6 at 30ma possibly less. Might be 28-29. It came from Diezel running something like 45 after it was on for a while.

I hate power tube breakup. As you play you can watch the Bias jump from 28 idle to 40ish on chunky riffing in real time. People don't realize if you have it up higher at 70% dissipation on idle, when you play it's hopping up into doodoo territory and forcing unpleasant power tube breakup.

It's one of the big misconceptions you see 75% of people still sniffing the cork on. "Hotter bias sounds better"

Definitely not! For what we do anyway 💀
It has no sense to measure bias during riffing, even chunky riffing. Especially not with a digital multimeter.

This is the muddy people opinions that actually allowed the slx to fly under the radar for so long.

This amp is anything but thin.

It's like... telling a brick something with the anti 900 dudes. Doesn't change the fact I switch between that and a HERBERT and the SLX is literally just as thick without being compressed. It fills the room with ease...

Maybe it's these dudes cabs, speakers, or settings.

Can't convince me an amp I have next to one of the thickest amps there is, and I hear it every day in the room... it's anything but thin.

And if you can't make even a dual reverb sound "thick" then it's the player not the amp.

💯💯💯💯💯💯
I ran my SLX through a Boogie Recto 4x12(280w), it was punishingly loud. And, it was anything but “thin” sounding.

I've owned quite a few Marshall and the SL-X was one of them, it was one of the best sounding 900's Marshall put out but still thought the JVM, JCM2000 series sounded far better then it to me, if we are talking high gain. Deferentially built a bit better however.

It has no sense to measure bias during riffing, even chunky riffing. Especially not with a digital multimeter.

Makes no sense to not do it when its my shit and my meters and no damage can occur.

I get my information by actually doing things.

You can keep reading 🤡

I've owned quite a few Marshall and the SL-X was one of them, it was one of the best sounding 900's Marshall put out but still thought the JVM, JCM2000 series sounded far better then it to me, if we are talking high gain. Deferentially built a bit better however.

High gain for sure...

SLX over any jcm2000 and twice on Sundays.

Maybe yall had BR8s going out or needed to bias the things. Who knows. lol

Back