The JCM900slx is the best Marshall 👹👹

• Thread starter Thread starter ChuggNorris
  • Start date Start date
im not even into rob zombie but the couple times i caught him at ozzfest he sounded amazing, was not away he used 900s

Oh yeah... good example there too slipped my mind but I had known about it a while back on the 900s. They always sound good live 100%

I ran my SLX through a Boogie Recto 4x12(280w), it was punishingly loud. And, it was anything but “thin” sounding.

Fuggin exactly... not sure what brand of paint some of these guys are huffing on. It literally and in real time holds its own EASILY against the diezel herbert sitting next to it here.

💯

Makes no sense to not do it when its my shit and my meters and no damage can occur.

I get my information by actually doing things.

You can keep reading 🤡
I do it when using the Eurotubes Pro One. It's designed to be able to play while adjusting. But I've never seen it jump from 28 to 40-ish. I've only ever seen a jump of 2-4 mA.

I do it when using the Eurotubes Pro One. It's designed to be to be able to play while adjusting. But I've never seen it jump from 28 to 40-ish. I've only ever seen a jump of 2-4 mA.

Oh yeah... I watch it jump up 15ish MA when chunking those big bass heavy palm mutes. Since that's how I play alot I adjust to operate in the range I like while playing.

Works great for me.
Bias probes are the shiznit.

💀

It has no sense to measure bias during riffing, even chunky riffing. Especially not with a digital multimeter.
Just do it as you someone plays the amp just use ears . Trace from voodoo mods does angus young’s this way . So does my tech
It does work

Just do it as you someone plays the amp just use ears . Trace from voodoo mods does angus young’s this way . So does my tech
It does work

Not everyone has somebody else around. It's easy to just do it while playing yourself and the amp open. I like reading the values though because it confirms I like marshalls in the 36ma range Mesas in the 33 range. And Diezels around 29. And it's interesting to see the power amp drive the bias up depending how you have the thing dialed and ad moderate volume.

It's always best to bias the amp at the volume you play most at. Because that can change the outcome...

I guess we all have our own ways 💀

It does work
To clarify. It doesn't make sense to _measure_ the bias current through the power tubes if they under the signal (that is, the sound comes from the speaker). Bias current is a quiescent direct current (DC) and is measured without a signal, it sets the operating point of power tubes. If a signal is present, an AC component is added to the DC current, it is pointless to measure the "bias current" in this case. I am only talking about the measurement and its (zero) informative value under signal/AC conditions. Anyone can connect an oscilloscope instead of a multimeter and see what's really going on there.

Of course, it has a sense to adjust the bias by ear when playing, no doubts. And if someone wants to measure something that doesn't make sense under all circumstances, that's his business...

To clarify. It doesn't make sense to _measure_ the bias current through the power tubes if they under the signal (that is, the sound comes from the speaker). Bias current is a quiescent direct current (DC) and is measured without a signal, it sets the operating point of power tubes. If a signal is present, an AC component is added to the DC current, it is pointless to measure the "bias current" in this case. I am only talking about the measurement and its (zero) informative value under signal/AC conditions. Anyone can connect an oscilloscope instead of a multimeter and see what's really going on there.

Of course, it has a sense to adjust the bias by ear when playing, no doubts. And if someone wants to measure something that doesn't make sense under all circumstances, that's his business...

First of all realize that "sense" is a spectrum.

It's like comparing how I like my coffee to how you like yours. Does it make sense? Doesn't have to because it's not scientific and accomplishes the same shit with no harm coming from either/or when done responsibly.

It doesn't make sense to me when people cut every inch of their yard and groom it like a chic pet when butterflies and bees need some wildflowers.

Some see my patch of wild flower area I leave and probably think "what a lazy fuck, that doesn't make sense".

But the butterflies and the bees are more important than their opinion.

Much like this idea that me measuring bias fluctuations in real time playing situations at volumes I play makes perfect sense to me.

It should not really even warrant a response of senselssness from you. 🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏

2nd of all.... I don't NEED a facting oscilloscope to set my bias and sound great.

But, this is obviously my opinion.
And in my house, it's the one that matters.

😂😂😂

Great fire breathing amps! Sold my JCM 900 SL-X 2500 head a few months back. I've been working with my ole DSL50/DSL100 heads ( Boosted + Red Channel Fan ) and much prefer them. The way I dial in/boost amps always has much crossover, especially when it's a Marshall ..and I have a few!

Last edited:
Not even close, and the SLX was my main high gain amp until this year, for 6 years. Great sounding amp but when compared to a 2203/04 and even a DSL, it doesn't have the balls or cut.

First of all realize that "sense" is a spectrum.

It's like comparing how I like my coffee to how you like yours. Does it make sense? Doesn't have to because it's not scientific and accomplishes the same shit with no harm coming from either/or when done responsibly.

It doesn't make sense to me when people cut every inch of their yard and groom it like a chic pet when butterflies and bees need some wildflowers.

Some see my patch of wild flower area I leave and probably think "what a lazy fuck, that doesn't make sense".

But the butterflies and the bees are more important than their opinion.

Much like this idea that me measuring bias fluctuations in real time playing situations at volumes I play makes perfect sense to me.

It should not really even warrant a response of senselssness from you. 🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏🤏

2nd of all.... I don't NEED a facting oscilloscope to set my bias and sound great.

But, this is obviously my opinion.
And in my house, it's the one that matters.

😂😂😂
OK, I have a similar approach to lawn and insects, so I'll try again :)

Briefly, a very simplified parallel to bias. Imagine that a quiet river flows through your property. The flow is steady. It represents quiescent current, bias. You take a meter and measure the water level without any problems, because it is stable and does not change. You measure, say, 3 feet.

Suddenly a herd of elephants appears and starts playing and jumping in the river. On a steady stream of water, waves corresponding to the size of elephants appear. Some big, some small, depending on how the elephants jump. Sometimes the bottom of the river can be seen in the waves. The elephants create an alternating component that modulates the previously steady flow. Does it has a sense to measure the water level in such conditions? Not much, although let's say yes for you :). Perhaps it is better to observe with the eyes how the water level changes (oscilloscope).

Measuring and adjusting bias is a very controversial topic. Now i know

I'm not sure why me looking at my bias is triggering him so bad and he's explaining it over and over but I stopped reading 2 explanations ago.

😴

Back