Unique "Heavily Processed" 80s/90s Tones

• Thread starter Thread starter ghosty999
  • Start date Start date
ghosty999
ghosty999
Give me some of your coolest "heavily processed" tones. The ones used to create texture, atmosphere and wash. Big racks, drenched in reverb and delay etc!

Enchant - The Thirst
(Likely a tri-axis with a bit of a cocked wah? Delay, reverb and chorus as standard)

Rush - Big Money
(I think this was a GK250ML dual mic'd with outboard effects)

Strangeways - Living In The Danger Zone
(Again, could be a GK250ML or similar SS amp? Drenched in Delay)

Maiden - Somewhere In Time
(Again... GK rack version, drenched in layered guitar synth and delays)

The GK stuff, especially the 2000cpl pre amp was fantastic. Nice, tight high gain with string clarity, glassy clean tones, a great built in chorus, compression and had a gate. Was my main pre for a few years running through a Boogie 50/50 power amp. Even when I switched to a Langner pre-amp I was still running the GK for cleans. I even had their 2x12 for home practice.

Since EVH did it with the 5150 album, I guess it was OK for others.

But that's when their sound started sucking IMO, including EVH.

Since EVH did it with the 5150 album, I guess it was OK for others.

But that's when their sound started sucking IMO, including EVH.
I totally get why some folks aren't into it, or find it lacking definition. I'm also a keyboard players so I guess it's my own personal appreciation for some of the soundscapes and emotions created from dicking around with delay and chorus.

Reactions: Geo
I totally get why some folks aren't into it, or find it lacking definition. I'm also a keyboard players so I guess it's my own personal appreciation for some of the soundscapes and emotions created from dicking around with delay and chorus.
I guess its the same with the keyboard vs the piano.

The GK stuff, especially the 2000cpl pre amp was fantastic. Nice, tight high gain with string clarity, glassy clean tones, a great built in chorus, compression and had a gate. Was my main pre for a few years running through a Boogie 50/50 power amp. Even when I switched to a Langner pre-amp I was still running the GK for cleans. I even had their 2x12 for home practice.
That's awesome! I really enjoy my 250ML. Went for a full refurb on mine with brand new speakers from GK in California (6 month wait time!). New old stock buttons and installed a kill switch for the internal speakers, so it doesn't run when I'm using a 2x12 at the same time.

I made this video you might be intereted in where I swap out IRs with the GK:

Pretty much the entire Mer De Noms and 13th Step albums from A Perfect Circle. Billy Howerdel went apeshit with plug-ins in the studio and had to figure out how to pull it all off live. He was hauling a couple Digitech 2112’s around for years, not sure if he finally was able to get the sounds out of his Fractal shit or not.

He goes over some of the tones in this rig rundown, but the real treat is when he lets his Marshall rip.

Pretty much the entire Mer De Noms and 13th Step albums from A Perfect Circle. Billy Howerdel went apeshit with plug-ins in the studio and had to figure out how to pull it all off live. He was hauling a couple Digitech 2112’s around for years, not sure if he finally was able to get the sounds out of his Fractal shit or not.

He goes over some of the tones in this rig rundown, but the real treat is when he lets his Marshall rip.

You are a gentleman and scholar, a man of wealth and taste.

How's this for some awesome GK Rush goodness.
15390ef72fb2eb8652b1f7f953800b13.jpg

Type O’s October Rust is the one that comes to mind for standout/high art when it comes to processed 80’s/90’s tone.

Marshal Gallagher of Teenage Wrist is getting some sick tones. These guys are so good that SA from 311 sang on a tune and did the video too.

I thought STPs Core was a cool detune/chorused tone. Not exactly sure what was used though. Lynch's tone on Under Lock and Key was subtle but cool.
Lukather has plenty of great wet tones on the Toto stuff. If you can handle suffering the songs until the leads lol.

Type O’s October Rust is the one that comes to mind for standout/high art when it comes to processed 80’s/90’s tone.

Marshal Gallagher of Teenage Wrist is getting some sick tones. These guys are so good that SA from 311 sang on a tune and did the video too.

love typo....super processed but damn it worked......fuck it...i'm hooking up my art to the ultr plus....and the bigfoot controller....

Back