Unique "Heavily Processed" 80s/90s Tones

• Thread starter Thread starter ghosty999
  • Start date Start date
@ghosty999 Holdsworth used a custom shop Seymour Duncan which is supposed to be similar to a PAF (Duncan 59) but with two rows of screw polls. His pickups in his Carvins/Kiesels were NOT wax potted and had alnico 5 magnets (his Seymours were supposed to be AlNiCo 5's). Bridge pickup clocks in at Ω 8.8.
Wow, that was me told! I'm getting mixed up with Shawn Lane and Lukather who used them I think!

You might enjoy my playlist I've been working on:

If you have any other recommendations for 80s/90s neo-keyboard-driven-prog-rock/metal with soulful high end singers and excellent musicianship... with a commercial spin... let me know haha

When I get home today I’m going to set my “eighties “ rig up….pics to follow….

I used Leon Todd's H90 vids to create an 80's VH type tone. I'm not a big van Halen or hair metal fan but I couldn't help myself. It was a delay plus a little pitch shifting and suddenly I'm looking for tabs for hair metal

Not a Winger fan but this sounds much better to me than the other samples .
They are by no means my favorite but they had a few songs I thought were really good. Including the Hendrix cover below.

Here are two more that would be more recognizable:

Dean's rack-

View attachment 240002

Friedman posted this pic on HRI back in the day when he convinced DeLeo to stop using the old Rockman MIDIPedal-
View attachment 240008

He uses the CE-1 to split the signal, one side goes to the Demeter, the other into that pre-amp next to the wah then into the AC30. That's been that dude's rig since the start and he hasn't really fucked with it. I think he used most of that rig on Core, he goes over his whole rig history with Dave on this ToneTalk episode, great fuckin' episode, too. I know there's one particular patch on the Intelliflex he cites as being 'the one' in the episode.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of Dean DeLeo's current guitar rig. What kind of preamp pedal next to the wah pedal is Dean using? I've never seen that before, but knew about the AC30 & Demeter TGP-3 preamp/VHT 2100 power amp guitar rig.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of Dean DeLeo's current guitar rig. What kind of preamp pedal next to the wah pedal is Dean using? I've never seen that before, but knew about the AC30 & Demeter TGP-3 preamp/VHT 2100 power amp guitar rig.

An S.I.B. Varidrive-

Dean jokingly adds that he has one great effects pedal "that was made by a friend of mine in San Diego. It's called a 'Varidrive' and it almost gives me another amp at my foot. It's a box with a treble, mid and bass, volume and gain, and it has 12AX7 in it. The company is SIB, Shit I Built."

I found this fansite that has a better gear history than you’d expect for an overall band fanstite. A few of pics of his rigs through the years with quotes and write-ups about each piece of gear.

https://www.belowempty.com/bandinfo.php?s=equipment&p=dean_deleo

Here’s a nice shot of the backline.
IMG_1122.jpeg

surely the greatest "heavily processed" tone is John Sykes 1987?? .. personally I prefer the raw tracks that are out there over the mastered final tone

You can tell Frank wasn't under the influence of anything when he came up with the common names of Moon Unit and Dweezil .

You can tell Frank wasn't under the influence of anything when he came up with the common names of Moon Unit and Dweezil .
I think under the influence would be too kind. :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: ccn
Wow, that was me told! I'm getting mixed up with Shawn Lane and Lukather who used them I think!

You might enjoy my playlist I've been working on:

If you have any other recommendations for 80s/90s neo-keyboard-driven-prog-rock/metal with soulful high end singers and excellent musicianship... with a commercial spin... let me know haha

I assume you've heard of Spock's Beard?

Zep

I love this album. My fav full length . Thise I like the length ep secrets ep better

Same. It was this era when I was introduced to him so the nostalgia plays a part, but even 25 years later and knowing all his albums inside and out, it’s still my favorite full length Vai album, with Alien Love Secrets being my favorite EP.

Fuckin’ dude was 36 when he put out Fire Garden. I remember being a teen and thinking he was an older dude, now I’m 40 and don’t have a single album out. :ROFLMAO:

Back