Unique "Heavily Processed" 80s/90s Tones

• Thread starter Thread starter ghosty999
  • Start date Start date
Yeah, I dont think I have ever seen a Slap Chorus preset, and I think I have most of them saved that are available out there. Someone would probably have to write out all the settings and manually enter them. That is actually what I did with the Octopus setting, as I have the Intellifex Online, which doesnt have that preset.
IMG_0661.jpeg

@RevDrucifer @Techdeth You guys didn't like Real Illusions: Reflections? I agree his later work was just meh, but that album sticks out to me.

Same; I like that album a lot. Building the Church is possibly my favorite "modern era" Vai tune

Still a rack guy but quite a bit different from those days-

KL4zMFM9CqhXtdVm966EgU.jpg

Synergy pre’s and the Fractal is all there is at this point. He was cool enough to give Fractal his effects blocks this past Christmas, so anyone with a current gen Fractal unit can use the exact delays and harmony settings he’s using live. There might be a chorus in there, I can’t remember.

I made this little noodle using the delay and harmony settings (harmony comes in towards the end)

I don't get the semantics....It's A RACK lol, he's using AXEFX as just a huge effects processor(Petrucci is using it same way)......doing preamps/power amps... still has his Eventides and more in the studio

This thread needs more notes!

Two of my most favorite tones from back in the day (it doesn't hurt that the compositions and playing are amazing). Honestly could pick any track from these albums but these jumped to mind first when I read the thread title.

If you have any other recommendations for 80s/90s neo-keyboard-driven-prog-rock/metal with soulful high end singers and excellent musicianship... with a commercial spin... let me know haha

"It Bites" might fit the bill....definitely on the more poppy/commercial sounding side but they can definitely rip

I'd even put Tears for Fears "The Seeds of Love" album in that mix.....shit is so good

Two of my most favorite tones from back in the day (it doesn't hurt that the compositions and playing are amazing). Honestly could pick any track from these albums but these jumped to mind first when I read the thread title.

Very nice! Maximum Security especially!

Two of the “shred era” albums I still listen to in the truck.

Give me some of your coolest "heavily processed" tones. The ones used to create texture, atmosphere and wash. Big racks, drenched in reverb and delay etc!

Enchant - The Thirst
(Likely a tri-axis with a bit of a cocked wah? Delay, reverb and chorus as standard)

Rush - Big Money
(I think this was a GK250ML dual mic'd with outboard effects)

Strangeways - Living In The Danger Zone
(Again, could be a GK250ML or similar SS amp? Drenched in Delay)

Maiden - Somewhere In Time
(Again... GK rack version, drenched in layered guitar synth and delays)

Somewhere In Time my fav. Maiden album....love it's spacey production...Eclipse has it too...I often wished Yng would have kept that sound on Fire And Ice(he was on a peak on that album chop wise)....Eclipse has that spacey production and awesome AOR + Metal thing I wish he would have stuck to. Strangeways some good shit too.

Steve never abandoned the rack, even to this day...dug this out of my old guitar mag collection...Probably one of the best issues of all time IMO. SO much more rack goodness in this issue, I'll post more of it.View attachment 241709View attachment 241712

I'm that guy, and you GD Right, betta believe it lol ;) Those heavily delayed/verbed tones fit the bill of this thread and then some.
Cool read :yes:

Cool read :yes:
Yes indeed man...that Guitar mag issue is treasure...I've thought about doing a video of it just flipping through pages...it's got Racer X section, Vai, Marty/Jason article, Zakk when he joined Ozzy, the Shapnel ads, Ads with Shrapnel guys..Racks of the Rich and Famous section. the MP-1 being reviewed and so much more.....
img20230828_11225961.jpg

Last edited:
my last ADA rack before the sell off; from back in the day; I also had 4 of the 2x12 ADA Vertical SplitStacks.

my old SGX-2000 with dual pedal midi controller, and Alesis QuadraVerb were long gone. I still own my #1 MP-2 in this pic:

ADA-Main-Rack.jpg

My ADA bass rig from back in the day:

bass-rig-1.jpg

You might enjoy my playlist I've been working on:

If you have any other recommendations for 80s/90s neo-keyboard-driven-prog-rock/metal with soulful high end singers and excellent musicianship... with a commercial spin... let me know haha

So awesome you put Fade 2 Grey in your playlist, probably in my top 5 songs from enchant, don't hear many people ever talk about them but that had some great tunes.

I don't get the semantics....It's A RACK lol, he's using AXEFX as just a huge effects processor(Petrucci is using it same way)......doing preamps/power amps... still has his Eventides and more in the studio

Hahaha if you were a bigger fan of 80’s rack gear you’d get it. The majority of those guys don’t want an AxeFX anywhere near their TC 1210’s, SDE-3000’s and H3000’s. It’s cheating. :LOL:

Hahaha if you were a bigger fan of 80’s rack gear you’d get it. The majority of those guys don’t want an AxeFX anywhere near their TC 1210’s, SDE-3000’s and H3000’s. It’s cheating. :LOL:
Wrong there, (I've been racking for decades)...but I know why he does it...cost of moving them and maintaining them. He's said himself he barely makes any money from touring any more because of the cost of doing it.

Added: And yes it's kind of cheating.....a lot of the algorithms come right from Eventide units. I've never really got on the the Axefx, but I don't give people shit for doing it any more.

my last ADA rack before the sell off; from back in the day; I also had 4 of the 2x12 ADA Vertical SplitStacks.

my old SGX-2000 with dual pedal midi controller, and Alesis QuadraVerb were long gone. I still own my #1 MP-2 in this pic:

View attachment 241862

My ADA bass rig from back in the day:

View attachment 241865
Nice, I miss my old MP-1(I used to have two of them)...Always wanted an MQ-1, never could find one so I settled on a Rocktron ProQ... MP-2 I never got along with, once you turn that noise gate off it would hiss city..I had that power amp too long ago.

rack2001-2002.JPG

Wrong there, (I've been racking for decades)...but I know why he does it...cost of moving them and maintaining them. He's said himself he barely makes any money from touring any more because of the cost of doing it.

Added: And yes it's kind of cheating.....a lot of the algorithms come right from Eventide units. I've never really got on the the Axefx, but I don't give people shit for doing it any more.

I’m practically 100% Fractal at this point, I get it!

I’m practically 100% Fractal at this point, I get it!
Man whatever works for people go for it...it's in so many high profile people's rack that I respect nowadays....I worry about my out of production rack units failing and not having parts to replace them.....I can see the practicality of using an AXEFX, specifically for effects...I don't think I'll ever abandon real amps though but if it works for people more power to em'/ya, there's some undeniably great tracks people make with them! I'm an old HRI refugee here, didn't get into that shirtless shit though 😅. Italo gonna come in here and give us the word about the axefx 😅My current rack:
IMG_8118.JPG
IMG_8115.JPG

Back