[UPDATED]The neverending search for a good 2203 Metal-Boost-Pedal...

• Thread starter Thread starter Simon Dorn
  • Start date Start date
Simon Dorn
Simon Dorn
needs to come to an end.
Got 2 new Pedals:
The KFK1 MXR Ten-Band-EQ and the T.C. Electronic Booster+ Linedriver and Distortion. I shoot them out with the Duality DX, but i didn't even bother recording the 2. Will do upon request. And the Winner is? Haha.
Cheers, Simon

May i quote myself from YouTube:
"Had a hell lot of fun today and had to record another clip of the same old crap. I was playing today for a while and then i decided to use the TC together with the DX. TC in DX loop wasn't all that great, DX in TC is awesome and TC in DX is instant Chainsaw that retains it's musicality.Very low Volume, Raw Guitars and Bass, a few Mastering Plug-Ins, but you get the idea."

We will see if i find a use for the MXR KFK1 10-Band-EQ...

Last edited:
Not a huge fan of the duality but it's alright.

The TC is a classic for 2203 circuits, Rats as well.

My favorite "out of the box" solutions are boosting a 2203 with a low gain MIAB (or one set to low gain) - my favorites being a LPD 68 and LPD 74 as well as the Guv'nor and Drivemaster

if you want a more banal "classic" sound, a Klone is always a great shout, as well as a tube screamer - bang for the buck I recommend the voodoo labs sparkle drive because of the killer clean blend

most modern overdrives sound pretty bad with a classic 2203, but as far as modern ODS go I think the KSR Eres is by far the best and most versatile

I got a chance to try a Shin-ei/Lee Jackson B1G 1. Adds some sparkle and clarity. Lots of boost. Sure is expensive but it’s fantastic.

Im liking the KHDK No.1 lately. It covers the entire overdrive, boost, distortion range. The EQ works like you would expect. I like the RAT but not usually into distortion pedals. The No.1 just sounds good to me. They just got the voicing right.

If you like the line booster, I’d try a vintage TC Integrated Pre and ‘70’s Boulder/Intersound Notch. I like them even more than the line booster I had

One my favorite boosts is the Thorpy Team Medic. The Fortin TS808 is killer too. Also love my OCD V1.1

Not a huge fan of the duality but it's alright.

The TC is a classic for 2203 circuits, Rats as well.

My favorite "out of the box" solutions are boosting a 2203 with a low gain MIAB (or one set to low gain) - my favorites being a LPD 68 and LPD 74 as well as the Guv'nor and Drivemaster

if you want a more banal "classic" sound, a Klone is always a great shout, as well as a tube screamer - bang for the buck I recommend the voodoo labs sparkle drive because of the killer clean blend

most modern overdrives sound pretty bad with a classic 2203, but as far as modern ODS go I think the KSR Eres is by far the best and most versatile
I like it.
The Duality has a TC in it.
What's "MIAB" and the other stuff?

I know the:
Guv'nor and Drivemaster
Had Maxon 820. TS9, TS808, TS808DX, TS Mini; OD9, OD808, Rats, Amptweaker Tight Metal, DS1, SD1, MT2, HM2, ST9Pro+Super Tube, now the KFK1, TC. Don't know if i remember all i had.

Did you mean the Eros, or the Ceres? I tried the Eros too, but i didn't like it. And one with Eyes on the Front, and 6 Knobs V4, with Treble, Middle, High Middle, Bass...I forgot the Name... :D

I got a chance to try a Shin-ei/Lee Jackson B1G 1. Adds some sparkle and clarity. Lots of boost. Sure is expensive but it’s fantastic.
Watched a Clip. I don't think thats the right pedal for me.

If you like the line booster, I’d try a vintage TC Integrated Pre and ‘70’s Boulder/Intersound Notch. I like them even more than the line booster I had

One my favorite boosts is the Thorpy Team Medic. The Fortin TS808 is killer too. Also love my OCD V1.1
The Line Booster is nice. But not enough on it's own for the 2203. The Distortion side kinda sucks. I tried all possible variations with the 3 Pedals.
The blue mode of the Duality is basically a TC Integrated Pre.
And the MXR is noisy.

Doesn't speak to me.
Why not? Pretty much the iconic JCM800 boost that has been all over hundreds of hard rock/metal recordings. With the bonus of true bypass.

You must be looking for modern metal gain?

Source Audio EQ2, MXR 10-band eq, Boss EQ,...
The MXR is pretty noisy. I don't see much sense in using an external EQ neither in Front of the Amp, nor in the loop.
But i thought i give it at least once a try. Seems i was right, as far as i'm concerned.

Why not? Pretty much the iconic JCM800 boost that has been all over hundreds of hard rock/metal recordings. With the bonus of true bypass.

You must be looking for modern metal gain?
I never in my life heard of it.
Yes, but "Modern" is kinda relative.

I never in my life heard of it.
Yes, but "Modern" is kinda relative.
That would make sense, because you seem to be into an entirely different style of boosting a 2203 than most of us.

A MIAB is a marshall in a box pedal.

Back