Van Halen 1 and 2 gear and racks in HD

• Thread starter Thread starter Amp_chaser
  • Start date Start date
A
Amp_chaser
Hello Guys,

i'm a Brown sound fan and it has been almost 10 years that i'm trying to search threw every rabbit hole to get the tones of VH1 and VH2.

I look for old pictures, testimonies and even books. Soon i'll release a vidéo about this long journey : new findings and a lot of controversies. Some will be debunked while others will still retain some truth. It's impossible to know everything with the amount of disinformation existing about eddie's tone. But in the end you'll see that even the techs we believe to be right cannot be trusted.

guitars.jpeg

Here you have the Ibanez Destroyer during the japanese tour after the first record : You can see one thing. It has not the hexagonal screws on the bridge pickup. First myth debunked the mighty mites humbucker were never used on the VH1 records. When Eddie recorded VH1 the guitar was still painted in white and with 3 fender knobs. It had humbuckers with chrome covers and the guitar was probably stock with the only changes being the painting and the knobs. The mighty mite 1300 was used for some songs in VH2 but not in VH1. The second proof being the clips of RWTD where the guitar has 2 black humbuckers probably the same without the covers. Those were probably Ibanez super 70's humbuckers. They are alnico 8 at 7.7k-8k.

504d54e7b862d5ff5fa451c9cb3c10ee.jpg

Here you have the amps. What's interesting is that the second amp from left bottom uses a MXR 6 band eq. Interestingly enough the Top jimmy kemper pack which is the best sounding reproduction of eddie's early tone also uses an EQ in front of the amp. After buying an early version of the mxr 6 band eq and trying it with this eq pattern, I can tell you that it gets you closer to the tone we are chasing. However you get a lot of noise from it (however there is a solution to make it disappear, continue reading). We can also see that amps are being slaved. There is a mullard box probably for preamp tubes and finally both 2 variacs.

amps 2.jpeg

The original amp which was used for the records is the the second right from the bottom. You can see that it is used as a slave one but not as the main amp.

Here you have the back of the amps and you can clearly see there are no 6CA7 tubes in 1978. So 6CA7 cannot be one of the first records ingredients for tone. Instead those are German ERA RFT El34. Those are ultra rare and almost impossible to find (good luck). According to dave friedman telefunken tubes were eddie's favortite tubes and that's what he apparently used for vh1. But who knows if eddie with its old age has mistaken those ERA for telefunken...
amps back vh1.jpg

Next thing we can see is that the original amp that was used for the records is the second from the bottom left in this picture. You can clearly see that the potentiometer or button which has been present during the VH2 records was already present in 1978 during the japanese tour which means that it was probably already there during the recording session of VH1. Dave Friedman made the mistake to say that there was no potentiometer in the 1978 pictures because he only got access to the blurry version of this picture.

knob.jpg

the sticker on the bottom left of the pot could probably be an Arcco sticker which josé arredondo used to put behind the amps he worked on. You can also see that someone (probably eddie) tried to remove the original sticker (the bigger one) and put another small one over it.

In the top you have eddies pedalboard in HD. You can see a second mxr 6 band eq that was used for eruption and some other songs. You also have 2 switch boxes. The one looking like a tonebender used to have black plate over it and it seems it perhaps had knobs over it. What was it used for ? Perhaps a wet and dry signal control or anything else
pedalboard2.jpg

In the bottom this is a picture when Van Halen used to open for black sabbath. You can see that the early version of the tone bender had a black plate and it looks like it has 2 knobs on it too.

vh1 racks.jpeg

Here you can see the racks and console for VH1. Interesting fact there is no UREI compressor but you instead have the dbx160 and dbx162 compressors. Interestingly enough sunset sound studio also have those dbx units.

amps vh2.jpg

This is the VH2 tour in japan. You can clearly see the schaffer vega unit at the bottom of the amps on the right. You can see that the amps are in majority Mark 2 plexis except the old wood one. You can also see on the top another wireless system called the Nasty Cordless or named later Nady Cordless those systems had a boost for guitar incorporated in their units. Eddie seems to use the Nady for it's guitar and schaffer as a boost only. The schaffer Vega unit is where a lot of the gain comes from. If you didn't know this is a wireless unit which could boost your signal and increased its gain. It was used by angus young and many other guitar players to boost their plexis in the 70's. It also had it's own compressor/limiter. We are very lucky because solodallas reproduced the schaffer unit as a pedal called the schaffer storm which is a faithfull reproduction of how the unit impacted the tone. I don't know if you guys used the shaffer storm with a plexi the result is quite impressive. You get tons of gain. I also tried it with my vintage mxr 6 band eq and it nulifies the noise coming from the EQ. Everything becomes way easier to play.

urei rack.jpg

Here you have the racks for VH2 you can clearly see that the DBX units disappeared and UREI compressors are now used. Those were used at sunset sound and also in the 5150 studios. Now people will ask if eddie used dbx compressors for his VH1 tones why didn't he used them in his 5150 studio ? Well it seems that eddie didn't like his VH1 sound because it was too bright. That's probably why he kept the later recipes for recording in his 5150 studio and not the early ones.

Finally there are other interesting explosive discoveries. Eddie used to slave in his early days into early 2203 units YES the early versions of jcm 800. vintage plexis + a 2203 = vintage tone + a grain of modern tone and slight boost in gain. This is clearly a 2 holer :

2203.jpg

I also foud an old picture that contains a really explosive content about how eddie got his early tone. Keep patient, the video will come out in about 1-2 months.

Last edited:
Glad we finally sorted that out.

:rolleyes:
Many will dislike it but i got solid evidence that eddie was playing with some weird toys during the club days. Was it used on records ? i don't know. However i got a picture where eddie seems to use a plexi which has 2 extra gain stages during his club days. I'm just trying to find other pictures of the same club session to confirm it. But those are quite rare...

Those who are familiar with extra gain stages, diodes and myths know this man...

Last edited:
Nice find only one thing the Ibanez Super 70 pickups are alnico 8 magnets not ceramic
Thx i completely forgot it because i'm recently trying to see if the bill lawrence tarback ceramic humbucker rumor could be true. Some people believe that eddie's 335 humbucker was a tarback but his model was supposedely from 63 and because of that it couldn't be. However you never know. Those humbuckers are quite exceptionnal tone wise.

Last edited:
Those Marshalls were "lost" by PanAm Airways on the return trip from Japan never to be seen again.
And they were metal panel late 70's model 1959's [not plexi].

Last edited:
The reason why Edward went from EL 34 to 6ca7 tubes is there was reliable issues with EL34 tubes in the 1970s that’s for sure

Reliability… and they were cheaper than the European tubes.

It had NOTHING to do with tone.😉
When you look the prices of those 6ca7 x)... wait when people will learn about the era tubes hahaha. I admit i'm guilty to have bought them too but it was for mojo and investigation purposes x).

The reason why Edward went from EL 34 to 6ca7 tubes is there was reliable issues with EL34 tubes in the 1970s that’s for sure
Not exactly the case. He swapped tubes cuz he's a tube hound.
I guess you missed all the EL-34's in that pile of 10 heads then.
Sandoval said Ed had a "box" of different tubes EL-34 variants and witnessed him swapping tubes at sound check for the "best sound" in his head of course.
Don't think "biasing" was in the cirriculum.

Edwards Gibson es335 was a 1961
We cannot be sure i know that Chris Gill apparently investigated he believes it's a 63 model but i believe you could be right too. With eddie almost everything is possible... He said so many bullshit too avoid getting copied.

I just found out another weird device connected to the amps in vh2... The more you look into it the more weird stuff you find...

wtf.jpg

no idea what it could be but it looks like a black pedal with an input and output. this could be the device that perhaps was in the vox tone bender casing who knows ? because he stopped to use it as a pedal during vh2.

Hello Guys,

i'm a Brown sound fan and it has been almost 10 years that i'm trying to search threw every rabbit hole to get the tones of VH1 and VH2.

I look for old pictures, testimonies and even books. Soon i'll release a vidéo about this long journey : new findings and a lot of controversies. Some will be debunked while others will still retain some truth. It's impossible to know everything with the amount of disinformation existing about eddie's tone. But in the end you'll see that even the techs we believe to be right cannot be trusted.

View attachment 345179

Here you have the Ibanez Destroyer during the japanese tour after the first record : You can see one thing. It has not the hexagonal screws on the bridge pickup. First myth debunked the mighty mites humbucker were never used on the VH1 records. When Eddie recorded VH1 the guitar was still painted in white and with 3 fender knobs. It had humbuckers with chrome covers and the guitar was probably stock with the only changes being the painting and the knobs. The mighty mite 1300 was used for some songs in VH2 but not in VH1. The second proof being the clips of RWTD where the guitar has 2 black humbuckers probably the same without the covers. Those were probably Ibanez super 70's humbuckers. They are alnico 8 at 7.7k-8k.

View attachment 345182

Here you have the amps. What's interesting is that the second amp from left bottom uses a MXR 6 band eq. Interestingly enough the Top jimmy kemper pack which is the best sounding reproduction of eddie's early tone also uses an EQ in front of the amp. After buying an early version of the mxr 6 band eq and trying it with this eq pattern, I can tell you that it gets you closer to the tone we are chasing. However you get a lot of noise from it (however there is a solution to make it disappear, continue reading). We can also see that amps are being slaved. There is a mullard box probably for preamp tubes and finally both 2 variacs.

View attachment 345311
The original amp which was used for the records is the the second right from the bottom. You can see that it is used as a slave one but not as the main amp.

Here you have the back of the amps and you can clearly see there are no 6CA7 tubes in 1978. So 6CA7 cannot be one of the first records ingredients for tone. Instead those are German ERA RFT El34. Those are ultra rare and almost impossible to find (good luck). According to dave friedman telefunken tubes were eddie's favortite tubes and that's what he apparently used of vh1. But who knows if eddie with its old age has mistaken those ERA for telefunken...
View attachment 345305

Next thing we can see is that the original amp that was used for the records is the second from the bottom left in this picture. You can clearly see that the potentiometer or button which has been present during the VH2 records was already present in 1978 during the japanese tour which means that it was probably already there during the recording session of VH1. Dave Friedman made the mistake to say that there was no potentiometer in the 1978 pictures because he only got access to the blurry version of this picture.

View attachment 345287
the sticker on the bottom left of the pot could probably be an Arcco sticker which josé arredondo used to put behind the amps he worked on. You can also see that someone (probably eddie) tried to remove the original sticker (the bigger one) and put another small one over it.

In the top you have eddies pedalboard in HD. You can see a second mxr 6 band eq that was used for eruption and some other songs. You also have 2 switch boxes. The one looking like a tonebender used to have black plate over it and it seems it perhaps had knobs over it. What was it used for ? Perhaps a wet and dry signal control or anything else
View attachment 345290
In the bottom this is a picture when Van Halen used to open for black sabbath. You can see that the early version of the tone bender had a black plate and it looks like it has 2 knobs on it too.

View attachment 345293
Here you can see the racks and console for VH1. Interesting fact there is no UREI compressor but you instead have the dbx160 and dbx162 compressors. Interestingly enough sounset sound studio also have those dbx units.

View attachment 345296

This is the VH2 tour in japan. You can clearly see the schaffer vega unit at the bottom of the amps on the right. You can see that the amps are in majority Mark 2 plexis except the old wood one. You can also see on the top another wireless system called the Nasty Cordless or named later Nady Cordless those systems had a boost for guitar incorporated in their units. Eddie seems to use the Nady for it's guitar and schaffer as a boost only. The schaffer Vega unit is where a lot of the gain comes from. If you didn't know this is a wireless unit which could boost your signal and increased its gain. It was used by angus young and many other guitar players to boost their plexis in the 70's. It also had it's own compressor/limiter. We are very lucky because solodallas reproduced the schaffer unit as a pedal called the schaffer storm which is a faithfull reproduction of how the unit impacted the tone. I don't know if you guys used the shaffer storm with a plexi the result is quite impressive. You get tons of gain. I also tried it with my vintage mxr 6 band eq and it nulifies the noise coming from the EQ. Everything becomes way easier to play.

View attachment 345299

Here you have the racks for VH2 you can clearly see that the DBX units disappeared and UREI compressors are now used. Those were used at sunset sound and also in the 5150 studios. Now people will ask if eddie used dbx compressors for his VH1 tones why didn't he used them in his 5150 studio ? Well it seems that eddie didn't like his VH1 sound because it was too bright. That's probably why he kept the later recipes for recording in his 5150 studio and not the early ones.

Finally there are other interesting explosive discoveries. Eddie used to slave in his early days into early 2203 units YES the early versions of jcm 800. vintage plexis + a 2203 = vintage tone + a grain of modern tone and slight boost in gain. This is clearly a 2 holer :

View attachment 345308

I also foud an old picture that contains a really explosive content about how eddie got his early tone. Keep patient, the video will come out in about 1-2 months.
What about the 1963 Fender Bandmaster that he used on VH1?

What about the 1963 Fender Bandmaster that he used on VH1?
We aren't sure he used it on the recording session. However eddie used to slave his main amp in many other amps. Like vox, jtm45, orange amps and even the bandmaster too. I believe he used them to boost the plexi which perhaps had a very low output under variac he then replaced those with the HH power amp. People believe eddie downvolted to 90v. but that wasn't the case in the early days he said he used a light dimmer and knew the voltages were right when he hit the high e string and that the amp light begin to flicker xD. I tried it with my plexi and i can tell you that if you do this your amp will almost have no output. You will clearly need a power amp to bring the volume up. The tone is also radically different. You will also need to put the bias to the right setting.

Last edited:
We aren't sure he used it on the recording session. However eddie used to slave his main amp in many other amps. Like vox, jtm45, orange amps and even the bandmaster too. I believe he used them to boost the plexi which perhaps had a very low output under variac he then replaced those with the HH power amp.
I think he did. There’s a really clear difference in say Little Dreamer and Ice Cream Man, in terms of light and dark. I’ve tried like hell to get VH tones out of my Marshall’s that just don’t exist, and that come effortlessly with my Fenders.

Back