What’s this big PanterA announcement about tomorrow??

• Thread starter Thread starter RaceU4her
  • Start date Start date
Not a huge Pantera fan but I saw them a couple times and they were pretty badass. Red Rocks was prob the best--def the loudest--metal show I've ever seen.

In all seriousness tho--why is more Pantera music a bad thing again? Even if it's not the real thing, isn't more Pantera--even if it's essentially a tribute--better, esp if you are a huge fan?

Because Dime is one of those people you can't replace. From his sound to his playing it just wouldn't be the same. It's kind of like trying to replace Eddie Van Halen. There is nobody who would be able to fill those shoes regardless how good their chops or technical ability is. I kind of see it as trying to replace Freddie Mercury in Queen. His voice was a very prominent sound in the band and it made Queen what it was. That's kind of how I view Dime's playing along with the riffs and solos he wrote. That was his voice in the band and it's what made Pantera's sound so unique. I'm not just talking about tone. Now of course, Vinnie, Rex and Phil still contribute to that sound, but Dime was a large chunk of it and that's what Pantera is to me.

I guess to those who view Pantera as just another metal band to them it would not matter who is behind the fiddle, but at the end of the day most Pantera fans know why they're here and it's definitely not because of Zakk.

I thought they were against it but recent articles are stating that Dime's girlfriend, Rita Haney, and the Vinnie Paul 'estate' are in support of this tour. I guess if they don't care then nor should I. I still feel it should be called a tribute act with a different name but then I guess the cash grab wouldn't be as great. If some of this money goes to Rita and Vinnie's estate then that is right thing to do.

And Zakk says he can feel Dime channeling energy into him during shows so there's that. :dunno:

Last edited:
It’s good for kids who never witnessed pantera and to spread the name to a generation. But to those of us that were at the original shows it’s just not the same
Because Dime is one of those people you can't replace. From his sound to his playing it just wouldn't be the same.
Of course it's not the same. That doesn't mean it's not a good thing.

No one is forcing hard core fans to go...but it sounds here like hard core fans are upset it exists.

No one is forcing hard core fans to go...but it sounds here like hard core fans are upset it exists.

I was really just talking about them getting together and coming up with new music. Not so much the shows they're doing. I do think it's nice that people can go and listen to that music live again and experience those tunes, but it's not for me. I'd need the real thing and obviously that's not going to happen, but whoever feels inclined to go I see nothing wrong with that.

I’m all for it . Just hasn’t been as good or exciting as I thought

For me, the shows are cool with two members and two close friends of the brothers doing it. If anyone else was filling in, I wouldn't dig it but thst is just me. Dime can't be replaced ever, so I look at it as a chance to hear those songs again and celebrate their legacy.

New music is not a good idea even remotely.

Back