What is the best modded plexi style amp you've ever played?

Friend of mine hand built a 2204 type amp using parts of a PC case as the chassis

It looked like hell but sounded fucking incredible

Edit: I guess a 2204 is not considered a plexi though? idk

Well, all of my amps are based around modded Marshall style sounds. Of ones I've played extensively, I'd have to go with the Budda Superdrive. I would probably say my Landry Lexi, but I've really only been able to play it for a few minutes, and that was just to make sure all the knobs/switches worked after I had it shipped in. The rest of my amps are probably closer to hot 800s rather than what I'd consider a Plexi type.

GZ MOAB+… it’s an encyclopedia of every modded Marshall tone, and to my ears there is very little to no change to the core Marshall bark
I agree with you sir. Do you find a difference between your two? Let me know if you ever want to sell that 1959 please.

The Suhr SL68 Mk II is kind of a modded plexi in that it has multiple switchable bright caps, PPIM, a switchable 25k / 50k Mid pot, where the 50k switch makes the entire amp tighter and more modern while the 25k Mid pot is more classic and allows you to dial in the signature old plexi "treble crash" sound that makes the amp almost go into like a fuzzy Q-tron impression when you max the treble and hit the input hard, and a phat switch that changes the low end filtering. No extra gain stages or anything more extreme like that though.

So if a "slightly feature-extended" plexi counts, I'd say the Suhr SL68 MkII.

If we're talking modded to the moon and back, then probably something like a Bogner Helios 100 like @NorCal_Val mentioned which is basically what happens when you take a Plexi foundation a mod it into being a modern high gainer.

Last edited:
Depends on if you are going for modded plexi gain or modded JCM800 gain. Some Jose modded Marshalls can get plexi-ish with gain but they can respond more like a JCM800 a bit different from a true plexi circuit but hey do have some squish like a plexi.

When you play the BE100 versus the Plex I would imagine you can hear and feel the difference. I notice a difference from my 68 Metro NOS Ed spec build and my Splawn modded 79 Marshall 2203 with the same amounts of gain one is plexi the other is JCM800. A JCM800 circuit can get close but it misses some nuances, if they were exact Friedman would never have built the PLEX.

I still think the RT modded Marshalls are an excellent sounding modded plexi/superlead, the ones without loops. I installed the split cathode RT mod into my 72 Marshall and it rivals my variaced 68 Metro 100 watter without all the hassles.

Last edited:
I agree with you sir. Do you find a difference between your two? Let me know if you ever want to sell that 1959 please.
Actually, the 800 in the photo is my brothers, there is no way I’m letting go of the 59 but you’ll be the first person I let know… in theory 😅
Yes, I do hear quite the difference, my plexi is quite a bit more wild and barky than my brothers 800. The 800 seems to be a little bit more focused, maybe a little tighter. Both amps sound incredible and as I stated earlier, they both retain the signature Marshall sound.

Picked up a 100w Morris early ‘69/70 a couple months ago that has made me think this builder out of Canada might be the best kept secret in our little industry.

Up to very recently I'd pick my Suhr SL67 MK II. Not really "modded" other than the switches. Awesome amp. Wish I had got the SL68 MK II. The 100 watter.

That said, the 3rd Power Dragon 100. Just an amazing amp. Although it was built for Satriani to cop a certain era EVH sound, I'm not interested in that.
I shoot for the 70's era Marshall tones. If the amp is modded and taken out a little further, so be it. For all the high-gain Strat shit I like, this amp turned out to be perfect.

I have a PPIMV 50w Plexi clone.

A Boss SD-1 ( clean boosting )---> RAT in the front RIPS. I use two, one for rhythm one for lead.

It's everything that I heard a Plexi sound like before it was in my hands.

I’ll throw the Bogner Goldfinger SL45 into the mix, ugliest amp award winner but it’s got a great clean channel and so much f7nctionality with the boost opens and mode switching, impossible to get a bad sound out of it

A regular ol 4-holer with a ppimv does it for me.
I also like switches for cathode shared/split, cathode bypass and bright caps.
Anything else takes away from the raw wild vibe and excellent cleanup.
The Vogel I got from @AndyK was good, the Friedman Plex is good. Germinos were chef's kiss.
A 2x6v6 was just right for playing with a band, getting into the power tubes, without being too loud. Wish I could have that one back. I text the guy every 2 years. Think I'm due.

Last edited:

Back