What is the best modded plexi style amp you've ever played?

• Thread starter Thread starter PurityS.L.G
  • Start date Start date
My absolute favorite at the moment is a stock 72' JMP 50 watt lead. YouCan still find these here and there at reasonable prices and unmolested. Put a decent OD pedal in front and a PS-100 to drive the amp/tame the volume,,,I got to tell you, I'm shocked at how killer this sounds. It's my first Marshall of this Era and it's sounds so great,, I just wish I went this route years ago when these were half the $ that they are now. That said, I got this rig and it's matching 72' 4x12 cab a month ago for the same as a new Friedman or Bogner head.
Looks exactly like mine. Post the pics of the transformers bro.

Looks exactly like mine. Post the pics of the transformers bro.
These are the only pix of the transformers I have at the moment. Picked up this rig at Jimmy's Vintage Music, Auburndale, Florida about 3 weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0124.jpeg
    IMG_0124.jpeg
    443.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0125.jpeg
    IMG_0125.jpeg
    658.2 KB · Views: 23
Not great. Had several of his amps. Andrew was super cool to me and his build quality was great but the tone not so much.
I must have the only one that doesn’t suck. Took some preamp tube rolling but this amp sounds killer.

Not great. Had several of his amps. Andrew was super cool to me and his build quality was great but the tone not so much.

I had 2 Makoplex’s. One was decent and the other was crap. I also owned one of the first Custom 100’s. That amp was one of the worst that I’ve ever owned or played.

I may not have much of a dog in this fight as I don't have a lot of experience with a variety of plexi style amps, but being an early EVH tone geek I have been quite pleased with modding a couple of my 2204 amps to try to mimic the old VH tones. I've gone through 'value correct' (meaning not high end parts/builds) Rockstah Mod 5, SIR #34, and JEL mods on a cheap 2204 a la Jet City JCA800, and the JEL mod with PPIMV (and a few tweaked values) has stayed thus far. For context I'm more content doing VH with my modded amps than I am playing TopJimi profiles through my Kemper - although those are very, very good.

Best personal experience: Many years ago I did an R/T style 'one wire mod' and split cathode to a buddy's '68 super bass clone (Dane Amplification?) and holy shit it rattled my soul when I played Unchained through it.

I also cloned a Friedman BE mod and a depth control into a 20w Jet City single channel, and that little EL84 fucker is very impressive for what it is.

Odd duck: XTC 101b Blue channel Old style no boost through Blackbacks playing Mean Street

Subjective, but what are my expectations for a modded plexi tone? <I thnk> Thick growly gain without a modern and percussive tight low end, but with a chimey percussive high end attack on fast single note picks, lots of mid warmth. Whatever guitarists were doing in the 80's trying to mimic EVH's tone qualifies in my opinion. From Mick Mars to Vai to Lynch - my modded plexi tone benchmarks.

Bonus, for me, goes to the Friedman Naked. I have #1 - George built.
I fought with it a bit until I used the Howerdel settings and it hasn't moved since.

What I always wanted my since gone JMP to be.

Last edited:
Everyone I see buying those is keeping them 1-2 weeks... first bragging I've heard. Is it not "heavy" or something?
I can't speak for them, but I bought one either because in the end what it does is a Plexi type amp that's built well with selectable bright caps and internally jumpered channels.

That is to say, ubiquitous.

Not this one,this one sounds amazing…..

Attachments

• IMG_8540.jpeg
    IMG_8540.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Picked up a 100w Morris early ‘69/70 a couple months ago that has made me think this builder out of Canada might be the best kept secret in our little industry.
That’s interesting I’ve heard insane brown tones from his amps however I never heard any of his amp being played by a regular guitarist on YouTube. You see sometime amp builders make ear candy records and when you receive your amp it doesn’t sound like that at all..

I strongly feel most of the mod amps I have played sounded better before the modification.

Because their balls hadn't been clipped.

These new rodded marshall builders have taken most the kahunes outta the circuits. Leaving a clanky, high pitched mess considered "brutal" by many RT buffs. 🥲

Back