Wizard Hell Razor Demo

Bram576

Caution - high gain “modern” tone ahead….

Did a straight in recording of the hell razor. Figured I’d share. I wanted to do the fake double technique because I know many think single micd clips don’t cut it… and unless you work with recorded tones a lot, I totally get it. So here’s a stereo version.

Anyway basically how this is run is reamped once, then reamped again polarity flipped into tc electronic mimiq into amp back out then polarity flipped again. It’s a real nice trick. Actually might use it for future studio things when one guitarist isn’t up to the other guitarist parts. Works real well!

As always best listening is studio monitors or studio headphones. If you must… turn your iPhone sideways since it is in stereo and not mono, but understand that is an unfair representation because it’ll sound brighter and less low end. And believe me if you listen to this on a proper system, there is A TON of low end.

Anyway this amp is an instant keeper for me and is just insane. I don’t even have the last boost engaged because it was just too much for me double tracked.

Here is a regular double tracked recording. It is definitely better don’t get wrong. But in a quick hurry just jamming instead of writing a full deal makes it easy.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/f2mw...test.wav?rlkey=bqmm4zvh8asvsvah6h2fg6q7k&dl=0

At some point, I’ll do a full mix and all that because that’ll show it at its best.

Last edited:
Lord! That thing is a beast. Do you find all the boost and gain options a bit overkill or redundant by any chance?
It is! I personally don’t, because it really gives you ultimate flexibility when dialing in a sound. You can run low gain crunch tones… hell even boost the thing externally if you want to for just a different flavor. I think the last stage pulling the rhythm boost is a bit overkill for me, because it gets a little more intense and you wind up having to back off a little bit on other controls. I feel that the sound here is close enough to what I’d dial in with that extra pull engaged with just a tad less gain, tightness, and feedback if that makes sense.

But I’ll add you can pull that and disengage another. The amp is going to take me a long time to completely figure out. It’s like the Uber ultra where there’s so much shit to it, you’ll find a new tone every time you turn it on.

Lord! That thing is a beast. Do you find all the boost and gain options a bit overkill or redundant by any chance?
Not at all for me. A boost pedal, however, I do find redundant. All the pull boosts can shape the sound in different ways, so it’s nice to have those options. Sometimes I use just some of the pull boosts and sometimes I even use them all, just gotta lower the gain to compensate. Maybe it should’ve been called the deluxe or kitchen sink model rather than the hell razor lol

@Bram576 thanks a lot for doing this, very helpful.

if i could ask a favor, no worries if not possible, could you detail your signal chain and settings?

for example, what guitar into the amp, then amp into what other specific devices, what interafce/daw etc? any other detailed settings you could share would be massively appreciated.

no worries if not possible and thanks again

You mentioned a double track technique. Is there another video that you can point to that explains that? Sounds tight.

Sounded like a boost/OD/MV masking a very big and clean amp to me. Now sure how hard you drove the power stage but it did not sound like a lot? Tell me if my ears are shit. I listened on m-audio monitors. I could be totally wrong because I was distracted by your kung fu grip on the on little mic stand in the early part of the video and I kept flashing back to this movie at about :12 seconds here and was waiting for you to bash someone with it

You mentioned a double track technique. Is there another video that you can point to that explains that? Sounds tight.
sounds pretty cool. i dont know this mimiq trick, but ive been preaching for years everyone with multiple rigs which i think is most of us needs a mimiq to play in stereo.

Here’s the technique explained thoroughly. I don’t think I’d substitute as the real deal unless I had no other choice. It sounds real damn close, maybe just a little too loose in mine. I know you can play with the tightness I’ll give that a shot. Here’s the real deal same settings and everything:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/f2mw...test.wav?rlkey=bqmm4zvh8asvsvah6h2fg6q7k&dl=0

@Bram576 Great clip!

Sounds like a very cool mix of being both extremely gained up but surprisingly clear. Love it. The amp seems like it's got a metric ton of gain available too, considering all 3 (4 if you count the Saturation knob) gain knobs are set between 10:00 - 2:00 in this clip. Wizard controls usually have a whole lot of range though. How much more gain is on tap for each one of those knobs?

Oh and how many push-pull pots are pulled in the video? It's tough too see from the video.

@Bram576 Great clip!

Sounds like a very cool mix of being both extremely gained up but surprisingly clear. Love it. The amp seems like it's got a metric ton of gain available too, considering all 3 (4 if you count the Saturation knob) gain knobs are set between 10:00 - 2:00 in this clip. Wizard controls usually have a whole lot of range though. How much more gain is on tap for each one of those knobs?

Oh and how many push-pull pots are pulled in the video? It's tough too see from the video.
Thanks man. It definitely is really clear, tight, and has a stupid amount of gain available. Gain 3 seems to be a bit light, the others have a ton each. There is another boost you can engage then back off the others as well. Technically I have 3/4 pulled here. Here’s a better image here.

IMG_9019.jpeg

@Bram576 Thanks for the hi res pic! What a cool amp.

Can I ask how much gain was used in your clip vs what's available in the amp if you were to max everything out?

@Bram576 thanks a lot for doing this, very helpful.

if i could ask a favor, no worries if not possible, could you detail your signal chain and settings?

for example, what guitar into the amp, then amp into what other specific devices, what interafce/daw etc? any other detailed settings you could share would be massively appreciated.

no worries if not possible and thanks again
Hey dude, so how I set everything up is, guitar into hi z on my universal audio interface. Input there set on zero as designed. Then the out of the interface simultaneously goes to my signal art angramp box out to my amp. From there the micd cab back into the interface, or can do a load box or whatever back into the interface.

Hey dude, so how I set everything up is, guitar into hi z on my universal audio interface. Input there set on zero as designed. Then the out of the interface simultaneously goes to my signal art angramp box out to my amp. From there the micd cab back into the interface, or can do a load box or whatever back into the interface.
massively helpful, thank you!

Back