Wizard Hell Razor Demo

• Thread starter Thread starter Bram576
  • Start date Start date
I will add that context is everything with tones. I mean here’s a perfect example of an iconic tone

4.5 winds up being just a bit too much for me with the hell razor as I use V30s, or variations of them for pretty much everything… crank the mids and throw an SM57 in front of it and it just sits awful with other instruments to me. In the room these settings I have by no means sound crazy bright. Because we don’t put our ear in front of a cab cone. I mic my cabs and choose bright IRs on purpose, because they cut through a mix well for dense metal mixes, which is what I play. I’d rather mic bright, and do some filtering as opposed to mic dark and cut 10 dbs of 250-300 hz to brighten my tone… which is a huge issue with a lot of IRs out there in my opinion.

I shared this here… basically doing a sweep of mid control in this clip here. 2.5, 1.5, 4.5.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/f2mw...test.wav?rlkey=bqmm4zvh8asvsvah6h2fg6q7k&dl=0
Mine is also the KT150 version, which might be a bit less midrangey and I don’t use whole quads of V30’s. I don’t find your clips too bright myself. They sound good to me, but I can see where others may be coming from depending on what their ears are used to hearing

Mine is also the KT150 version, which might be a bit less midrangey and I don’t use whole quads of V30’s. I don’t find your clips too bright myself. They sound good to me, but I can see where others may be coming from depending on what their ears are used to hearing

I'd think the version that uses KT88's would be naturally a bit more midrangey than most other versions of the amp, as KT88 tubes have a greater damping factor than most other tubes, so the impedance of a guitar cab (which is naturally a bit scooped) wouldn't impact it as much as a KT66 version, where the tubes behave more like 6L6 tubes, with a lower damping factor.

Then again if Rick designs his amps properly, which he very likely does, then that tube difference should be accounted for in the design and there should be minimal if any difference at all between the general EQ curves of the power sections between those amps.

Last edited:
Caution - high gain “modern” tone ahead….

Did a straight in recording of the hell razor. Figured I’d share. I wanted to do the fake double technique because I know many think single micd clips don’t cut it… and unless you work with recorded tones a lot, I totally get it. So here’s a stereo version.

Anyway basically how this is run is reamped once, then reamped again polarity flipped into tc electronic mimiq into amp back out then polarity flipped again. It’s a real nice trick. Actually might use it for future studio things when one guitarist isn’t up to the other guitarist parts. Works real well!

As always best listening is studio monitors or studio headphones. If you must… turn your iPhone sideways since it is in stereo and not mono, but understand that is an unfair representation because it’ll sound brighter and less low end. And believe me if you listen to this on a proper system, there is A TON of low end.

Anyway this amp is an instant keeper for me and is just insane. I don’t even have the last boost engaged because it was just too much for me double tracked.

Here is a regular double tracked recording. It is definitely better don’t get wrong. But in a quick hurry just jamming instead of writing a full deal makes it easy.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/f2mw...test.wav?rlkey=bqmm4zvh8asvsvah6h2fg6q7k&dl=0

At some point, I’ll do a full mix and all that because that’ll show it at its best.

Man, I have to find a way to get a Hell Razor.

Wicked!👌🏻🤘🏻

Great video of a great demo of a great amp with great tone coaxed out of a great player :rock:

I love how you and the Hell Razor sound all tight and together but at the same time, it sounds like the amp might explode. Hell Razor seems to be a fitting name.

I meant to post earlier but my little brother died and I'm trying to pull it together myself :(

I meant to post earlier but my little brother died and I'm trying to pull it together myself :(
That’s so fucked up, my condolences to you and your loved ones. I’m so sorry to hear that. Wishing you some ease and peace to process this difficult moment.

Great video of a great demo of a great amp with great tone coaxed out of a great player :rock:

I love how you and the Hell Razor sound all tight and together but at the same time, it sounds like the amp might explode. Hell Razor seems to be a fitting name.

Sorry for your loss man. Hang in there.

I'd think the version that uses KT88's would be naturally a bit more midrangey than most other versions of the amp, as KT88 tubes have a greater damping factor than most other tubes, so the impedance of a guitar cab (which is naturally a bit scooped) wouldn't impact it as much as a KT66 version, where the tubes behave more like 6L6 tubes, with a lower damping factor.

Then again if Rick designs his amps properly, which he very likely does, then that tube difference should be accounted for in the design and there should be minimal if any difference at all between the general EQ curves of the power sections between those amps.
It’s drastic af . I’ve had 3 MTL2s and the amps are like 3 different amps . I actually thought it was cool af

It’s drastic af . I’ve had 3 MTL2s and the amps are like 3 different amps . I actually thought it was cool af

Cool. Mind if I ask what the tube types were and how they sounded different?

Cool. Mind if I ask what the tube types were and how they sounded different?
For the 6l6 the times took away this wild rich thing that Rick has with the highes in el34s . The 6l6 tubes made mine sound like it a super new ULTRA LEAD fr fr .The thing about highs I liked was gone . It’s not my favorite but it’s enough fir me that I’ll try to get it back lol .kt88s has most punch it was basically between other 2 tubes . This just my opinion on these . The el34s just had something that set it apart for me

For the 6l6 the times took away this wild rich thing that Rick has with the highes in el34s . The 6l6 tubes made mine sound like it a super new ULTRA LEAD fr fr .The thing about highs I liked was gone . It’s not my favorite but it’s enough fir me that I’ll try to get it back lol .kt88s has most punch it was basically between other 2 tubes . This just my opinion on these . The el34s just had something that set it apart for me
So you think EL34’s are the way to go with the Hell Razor? The KT120 is intriguing.

Last edited:
So you think EL34’s are the way to go with the Hell Razor? The KT120 is intriguing.
There are guys that love them all . And some don’t like the el34s in . I just love his el34 work . But all the Hell Razors are top tier amps

I had both. OP owns my old 120. I found the el34 to be more raw/aggressive. The kt120 was smoother and less noisy actually, but a gate in the loop solves that issue on my el34. Both great amps, I just go for a brighter more raw tine.

It’s not just the tubes. Each the tube type has a custom transformer so that imparts characteristics on the tone. My el34 is a 50w.

I had both. OP owns my old 120. I found the el34 to be more raw/aggressive. The kt120 was smoother and less noisy actually, but a gate in the loop solves that issue on my el34. Both great amps, I just go for a brighter more raw tine.

It’s not just the tubes. Each the tube type has a custom transformer so that imparts characteristics on the tone. My el34 is a 50w.
I think he meant either the KT150 version or KT200 that uses KT120 tubes. If I sell enough stuff I’d wanna give a 50w EL34 or 6V6 HR a shot

THIS. I feel like the different transformer makes the biggest difference. On amps where you can toggle between multiple tubes, there is a difference, but a very small one. The different transformer though, man big difference maker.

One of the best sounding amp demos I've heard! Keep it up, dude! Well done!

THIS. I feel like the different transformer makes the biggest difference. On amps where you can toggle between multiple tubes, there is a difference, but a very small one. The different transformer though, man big difference maker.
It is crazy how big of a difference the different transformers make with Wizards....even with the same tube! I have an EL34 2016 MC1 100W with "C" transformers. Preamp updated to 2023 specs by Rick. Compared to the 2021 MCii EL34 I have played there is absolutely enough difference to be noticeable in tone/feel.

Great demos brother; looking forward to more!

Back