Would a scam thread sticky in the classifieds be a good idea?

Yeah exactly
Thanks mate. :thumbsup:

LOL my favourite emoji. Yeah baby!

Bro I wasn’t talking about you or staff.
Thanks Brother M; really appreciate that mate.

Talking about everyone else the admin is concerned about with ad traffic.
Yeah I wanted to keep my response reasonably-brief so I didn't mention it, but ad traffic has never been mentioned by, let alone discussed with admin in this or any other context. It's the love of the community that's kept RT going, which is obviously why we've never expected to be paid.

Anywho, I think I'm understanding the basics of this well-enough to take it back to admin (and the other mods) to consider, so I won't bother him about posting here now; I'll remove that notification I posted earlier.

Thanks again brother. :thumbsup:

@glpg80 it's taken persistence on my part after the idea was voted down by the mods. No mean feat seeing as I've had COVID pretty-damned-badly all week. Coughed every 20 seconds day and night 'til my ribs felt like they were broken. On the plus side, I managed to get a cupful of crap out every day. :LOL:

Looks like everyone's onboard now, which is great.

In theory this is how it'll work:
A new group specifically for the classifieds will be created.
Members who've more than 50 posts AND have 2FA activated will automatically be assigned to the new group.
The mods will also be required to use 2FA in order to prevent our accounts' being hacked (wouldn't be good for the forum).

Admin reckons I won't need a mobile 'phone for the 2FA and can use my ol' cheese grater Mac. Bonus!

So all-up I think you'll be happy and of course the tiny number of scammers we encounter every year should be reduced to zero or close to it.

Thank you for the great suggestion and talking me through it brother; much-appreciated! :cheers2:

Oh, and I'll update Rule #1 and the 50-posts sticky to reflect the changes once they come online. I don't want to do this ahead-of-time 'cause the deets aren't set-in-stone yet.

This is wonderful news! It will reduce the number of scammers to those actively posting on new accounts and trying to blend in which we have a pretty good ability to weed out. The rest can take their Trojan horse shit and shove it :rock:

You’re welcome and as said prior it comes as a suggestion having been an admin myself many moons ago. Hopefully this will help curtail the bad traffic.

Indeed brother. :cheers2:

Ultimately 'though the bottom line for me is to see the members happy and in this case that starts with you. You stepped in with a great suggestion and it made my day to see that you consider this wonderful news.

I'm just sorry for the long delay. Between my COVID and admin having taken a holiday, which I was unaware of until yesterday, what should have taken only a few days took weeks. Sorry about that.

Anywho, rock on man. As I said, just waiting now for admin to do his thing. :thumbsup:

OK, done. :thumbsup:

50 posts and 2FA required for participation in the Classifieds section.

I'm updating the 2 relevant stickies (including the rules one) now...

OK, done. :thumbsup:

50 posts and 2FA required for participation in the Classifieds section.

I'm updating the 2 relevant stickies (including the rules one) now...

To make sure I'm understanding how it works, do you need 2FA to reply to classified posts? Or just to start a new listing?

FWIMBW I made the above distinction clear in the heads-up sticky's title and also in rule #1 in the rules sticky. :thumbsup:

I have a weird thing going on with the 2FA. It keeps sending me multiple login verification codes at the exact same time. Obviously I was able to log in, but it seems to be a crapshoot of which one is the correct code. I've logged in/out a couple of times on different devices to make sure it wasn't me doing something wrong. Each time it sent me at least 2 codes.

I have a weird thing going on with the 2FA. It keeps sending me multiple login verification codes at the exact same time. Obviously I was able to log in, but it seems to be a crapshoot of which one is the correct code. I've logged in/out a couple of times on different devices to make sure it wasn't me doing something wrong. Each time it sent me at least 2 codes.
I use Google authenticator with no problem - try that one?

This seems to have straightened itself out. I logged out/in this afternoon with no issues and no extra codes sent.

Back