Yer Mesa's are going to be boat anchors in a couple years ...

• Thread starter Thread starter shar-vell Dan
  • Start date Start date
shar-vell Dan
shar-vell Dan
golden-anchors-installed-aircraft-carrier-uss-13037721.jpg.webp

Bet me -------------

I think the bottom line is that Gibson needs to step up and offer a reliable path for getting vintage Mesas serviced. In other words, they are gonna need at least one amp tech in house that knows these amps inside and out. That may be wishful thinking, but it's step one IMO.

If that doesn't happen, I still can't see these amps drifting to boat anchor status. There are talented amp techs that are willing to work on Mesas, and it would be an opportunity for them to offer a niche service if Gibson can't.

There are talented amp techs that are willing to work on Mesas, and it would be an opportunity for them to offer a niche service if Gibson can't.

That's going to be one expensive niche service :ROFLMAO:

Mesa have some great sounding amps; I would never go as far as to call them "well engineered" mechanically (especially those white 450 caps or whatever they are) or "easy to maintain or work on"

I do minor repairs locally and I literally will not work on them because it isn't worth the time or the money it would cost for the customer :dunno:

If a really talented dude memorized all of the common amps to the point where he could do it quickly and efficiently, I'm sure he could make a killing

Even though CDan is trying to rattle peoples barns by trolling, there is a little truth to this. I know a couple local shops that already aren't so hot on taking older Mesa's in on trade in. Not to say they will be boat anchors but in a good reality, you would feel comfortable servicing one yourself or know someone who can.

This would certainly be a better place for them. Burn the shit amps or let them sink to the bottom of the seas!!!!

YARRRR! ☠ 🏴‍☠️ 🦜

I have 3. I’ve had my mark and Tremoverb both gone through by a local tech with no issues. They will outlive me.

Sold all my mesas.

Keeping all my Marshalls.
Love my Marshall JTM Studio, and I've played alot of Mesa. I do want a Mesa Mini Rect someday though but it's not a must have.

Even though CDan is trying to rattle peoples barns by trolling, there is a little truth to this. I know a couple local shops that already aren't so hot on taking older Mesa's in on trade in. Not to say they will be boat anchors but in a good reality, you would feel comfortable servicing one yourself or know someone who can.
My guy could not fix my mark 3 greenie original . It was def a boat actor at the time . Thank goodness mine B saved it

I am happy I‘ve found a tech that was able to fix my Triaxis and RevF here in Europe (both amps had „repairs“ before). He‘s in Belgium. As long as he’s in business, no boat anchory for.
You guys are blessed having Mesa in the US doing the work. If they stop, others will step in. It’s just a matter of time till someone pops up and gains reputation. But until then, welcome to the Mess service-desert that people are fighting outside the US

My guy could not fix my mark 3 greenie original . It was def a boat actor at the time . Thank goodness mine B saved it

what was the problem? 3's and iv's are not fucking rocket science, they're just tight spaces to work in. I'm by no means a real tech, but i've recapped and serviced 3's and my IVa (as well a dc-5, .50+, and .22+'s). If you know the quirks of vintage boogies, its really just about being careful and strategic.

if i had one of these modern boogies with 10 mute circuits, 25 relays, ribbon cables, etc, i wouldn't be able to deal with that.

Same here in the UK - there are few certified techs (of the 2 I've worked with,1 has retired and the other sounded retirement age on the phone..) but there are other qualified techs around bc the distributor (Guitar Guitar) relies on local techs for service and warranty repairs.

Regardless, I've listed my 2c+ SRGX for sale a few weeks ago. Just before the news about Randal, coincidentally.
After 10 years of owning many (Rectos, LSC, most Mk, preamps etc) I've fallen out of love with them and want to try other amps.

Back