A few quick pics of the new Cameron Atomica...

Whatevers going on with it, i hope the zeners are switchable, or not full time?

Never really cared for the zeners, except for maybe low volume.

steve_k":3v8mfw4v said:
dawnofdreamx97":3v8mfw4v said:
joepete77":3v8mfw4v said:
glip22":3v8mfw4v said:
jerrydyer":3v8mfw4v said:
they aren't heybowers. they are the same ones i use. they kick ass at a great price. they will prob switch later for all the disbeleivers. Just cause something is cheaper doesnt always mean its worse.

+1000 Jerry, I've been digging alot of the hammond stuff, great sounding and great price...

I'm really confused about this atomica -

I know the ccv and Jose mods are 3 gain stages / cathode follow / phase inverter - is this how this amp is setup ? :confused:
Nick, I think they are dual cascading gain stages not three. I believe V1A and B is cascaded and V2 cathode follower utilizes both of V2's triodes.

got it so it's like a low gain jose setup, probably with jacked up plate resistors/bypass caps along with zener clipping to get the gain, kinda bummed that there isn't the 2nd gain control - especially for finding that sweet spot and especially if there were brite switch's (as the lower you turn the gain the more the brite cap works and makes the gain have more bite and articulation ... does any know if this has the diode clipping on a push pull ? or is it always just full zener clipping ? i didn't see any switch's for that, just the bridge (edge) control...
Am curious to see what's the deal with this also??

UNLESS! i just noticed the gain style control in the back which might be the 2nd gain control, which might be basically wired as a rheostat for the 1st or 2nd gain stage / voicing control ( adds bass to the gain in the preamp not like the thump bass boost control on the front )

I may be mistaken Nick, but someone earlier mentioned the gain style selector on the back as taking it from Plexi, to JCM turf then to Jose. It may be that position 1 will have 1 side of the gain stage, 2 will have all tube gain, then 3 will add the clipping diodes for the HG Jose. I would imagine the edge control selecting two different bright caps. Nobody mentioned any push pulls on the amp.

Maybe Dave will chime in on the set up and controls.

Steve

I think it's just wired up like a rheostat to control the voicing and gain level , like in alot of Marks amps. Basically like a gain control / voicing.

Capulin Overdrive":2ed1ulwd said:
Whatevers going on with it, i hope the zeners are switchable, or not full time?

Never really cared for the zeners, except for maybe low volume.

yea i didnt see any switch's to pull them off the master, but that's easy enough to change! :LOL: :LOL: ( i hope they are off the master to ground) (they prob are) and not off the plate which makes the amp to soft and sound like dookie lol

luxxtone":hmmeh5w5 said:
Guys, I played this amp at the show today.....it freakin' RIPS!! It sounds absolutely huge. In front it has the Hi Gain and Lo Gain Jose inputs. And on the back there is a 3 position Gain Style knob, which basically changes the gain/diodes/whatever. Between the two inputs and the Gain knob on the back, this thing literally covers all the ground of a cranked plexi, to a huge, ready-to-explode plexi, to modded 800, to absolute brutal. People who know me, know I'm not even a high-gain type guy, but this thing has me drooling because not only can it do so many things, each setting sounds killer. Just plain awesome.

Damn, why did you have to describe it as the ultimate hard rock/metal amp. I am now rethinking the CCV!!! :doh: :confused:

steve_k":czeizva6 said:
I may be mistaken Nick, but someone earlier mentioned the gain style selector on the back as taking it from Plexi, to JCM turf then to Jose. It may be that position 1 will have 1 side of the gain stage, 2 will have all tube gain, then 3 will add the clipping diodes for the HG Jose. I would imagine the edge control selecting two different bright caps. Nobody mentioned any push pulls on the amp.

Maybe Dave will chime in on the set up and controls.

Steve

Right. There is no push-pull pots on the amp. Regarding the gain style selector switch which is a 3 position rotary, far right as you look at it is the most gain of all positions with the middle position being next, and the left being even less going from more compressed to more open sounding. One of the positions sounds very Plexi-like and the other I would probably consider it in the hot-rodded JCM800 terrritory- certainly more gain than the JCM800 2204 I owned years ago. It is very reminiscent of the CCV "gain style" selector switch.

There are more clips coming of all 3 Cameron amps. Just a matter of time.

King Guitar":1kcdcel4 said:
narad":1kcdcel4 said:
Really looking forward to the amp but that logo ripoff is shameless. Bad call guys. :thumbsdown:

Whats the rip off? Its the international Atomic symbol? :confused:
I think what he's saying is that is already been used by PWE. When I see that symbol that's who I think of reguardless if it's the international Atomic symbol.

LP Freak":1cqevqat said:
King Guitar":1cqevqat said:
narad":1cqevqat said:
Really looking forward to the amp but that logo ripoff is shameless. Bad call guys. :thumbsdown:

I think what he's saying is that is already been used by PWE. When I see that symbol that's who I think of reguardless if it's the international Atomic symbol.

We never gave Teds logo a second thought. Ted is a friend and was at the ALT NAMM and thought the amp was cool. He had no problem with it. Its not like its his design its an international symbol just like a red cross or similar.

Gorehog":tbj09ehp said:
Any price on the 1x12 yet?

Logo looks great. I also am salivating for the old bitch!

I believe Brad said the ported 1 x12's are $549. They are ported at the top left and right corners of the cab.

King Guitar":fpqllam6 said:
LP Freak":fpqllam6 said:
King Guitar":fpqllam6 said:
narad":fpqllam6 said:

We never gave Teds logo a second thought. Ted is a friend and was at the ALT NAMM and thought the amp was cool. He had no problem with it. Its not like its his design its an international symbol just like a red cross or similar.

Wow, Ted doesn't have a problem with it? Then I guess there's nothing to complain about. I figure a guy that would even name all the knobs along the physics theme (annoyingly so) probably wanted it to be his own unique footprint in the small boutique amp community. I'm still going to think PWE, but I'm glad he's cool with another amp builder using the same branding idea.

I don't really like the head-box design, but I LOVE the look of the chassis! :thumbsup: I would just use the CCV head-box. I would also drop the atom symbol. PWE already uses that, and it doesn't look any better on their amplifiers either. Cameron amps don't need cheesy promotional gimmicks... The tone speaks for itself.

"cheesy promotional gimmicks" !?!?

That's real unnecessary...these guys are trying hard to put out unique a cool amps. All of this "negative shit" is getting old! :thumbsdown:

cheesy-poofs.jpg

pstar":xvf31n5k said:
if the symbol is copy righted ? , i would be very careful. Legal infringement.

Lol, it is the international atomic symbol. Did you guys not study this stuff in school :LOL: :LOL: it is in the public lexicon.

B

Back