Soldano Going Out of Business

SLOgriff":2lbffjtx said:
Seeing some misinformation being posted here. "The real story..." is not the true story.
For what it's worth, my personal hope is.....

A. If Mike is retiring, please don't sell the SLO to anyone period. Keep that amp and design. It won't be the same, and especially without those transformers as MANY have tried with this and that custom close transformer and they don't measure up. Only a real SLO is an SLO.

B. That I come into some quick cash without having to sell anything and buy another SLO...SOON!
:D

Racerxrated":368msiov said:
For what it's worth, my personal hope is.....

A. If Mike is retiring, please don't sell the SLO to anyone period. Keep that amp and design. It won't be the same, and especially without those transformers as MANY have tried with this and that custom close transformer and they don't measure up. Only a real SLO is an SLO.

Well, if we're talking about personal hopes and extrapolations from the scant info we actually have....

Why not design the SLO II now and pair it with whatever new transformers can be sourced, assuming it's true that the DeYoung transformers are no longer available. No matter what he does, we all know that the SLO II will never sound exactly the same as the original SLO, so seize the opportunity, redesign it with the new loop, separate EQ's, and put the Onetics transformers in it.

Anyhow, just a thought. If the guy is able and ready to retire, he might as well go for it. If he can afford to live comfortably without getting royalty payments back from BAD (or someone else) producing amplifiers, that's great and I wish him well. If he just licenses the non-SLO's, that's great too. Hell, I don't care if he licenses the SLO. It could be identical to the originals and people would still claim they sound significantly different.

Mine isn't going anywhere. I would go out and purchase another right now if I had the cash around as I'm guessing they'll kick up in price in the future. However, we may need to hold onto them for a while before the investment angle really pays off.

So I just found out the info I had was wrong. I should not of posted without checking into it further. Your guess is as good as mine at this point as to Soldano. Sorry for speaking before I had all the facts.

Brad

Piero the Guitarero":1xt8xkgu said:
If Mike quits and retirers .... what happens with the transfereble lifetime-warranty?

If someone else isn't taking over production and servicing, you can probably transfer it to your garbage bin.

sadistik42":218okmb0 said:
Piero the Guitarero":218okmb0 said:
If Mike quits and retirers .... what happens with the transfereble lifetime-warranty?

If someone else isn't taking over production and servicing, you can probably transfer it to your garbage bin.

Honestly though who has ever needed to use it? Those amps seem to be very clean and well made. Any good tech should be able to fix whatever issues may arise, yeah I get it no free repairs but unless you happen to live near a certified tech (I have no idea who is certified with Soldano) you would probably pay just as much to ship the amp vs. bringing to your local tech.

King Guitar":10pwqmvq said:
So I just found out the info I had was wrong. I should not of posted without checking into it further. Your guess is as good as mine at this point as to Soldano. Sorry for speaking before I had all the facts.

Brad

:banhim:

sutepaj":2kbqiruv said:
King Guitar":2kbqiruv said:

Brad

:banhim:

:LOL: :LOL: again...

This was posted over on TGP, seems legit.

"Talked to Mike today, heard it with my own ears. He owns the facility, and property taxes are starting to fade the ability to make a living. With all the usual gentrification, he cannot keep the doors open in the long run. So, with a very heavy heart, Mike Soldano is selling his production facility, and retiring early.

As far as the "get em now" hype, Mike said his dealers will be overstocked if he produces extra, and it might also effect the sale if he has back orders to fill. As a result, he is finishing existing orders and not taking any new SLO orders.

The future of Soldano itself is uncertain, and Mike is not sure if he is going to sell or sub, or what. When I asked, he guardedly and candidly shared that he has not had any offers that interested him yet. Who knows...

But yeah, I can confirm this much. In the next month or two, I am planning to visit Mike and fill one last order we have been talking about for a minute. An SLO-25 with a DeYoung trannie he has been sitting on for me. It'll be bittersweet, but I'm happy for him. An unexpected end, but still very positive.

Bon voyage, Mike! Thanks for changing Rock and Roll forever! You have made your mark in history."

Damn. SLO was a bucket list amp for me. I had a couple chances at near mint ones for $2400-2500 but figured that was a lot of money and I could just get one down the road. Oops! Probably not now!

bigangryguitar":36zvpdny said:

"Talked to Mike today, heard it with my own ears. He owns the facility, and property taxes are starting to fade the ability to make a living. With all the usual gentrification, he cannot keep the doors open in the long run. So, with a very heavy heart, Mike Soldano is selling his production facility, and retiring early.

As far as the "get em now" hype, Mike said his dealers will be overstocked if he produces extra, and it might also effect the sale if he has back orders to fill. As a result, he is finishing existing orders and not taking any new SLO orders.

The future of Soldano itself is uncertain, and Mike is not sure if he is going to sell or sub, or what. When I asked, he guardedly and candidly shared that he has not had any offers that interested him yet. Who knows...

But yeah, I can confirm this much. In the next month or two, I am planning to visit Mike and fill one last order we have been talking about for a minute. An SLO-25 with a DeYoung trannie he has been sitting on for me. It'll be bittersweet, but I'm happy for him. An unexpected end, but still very positive.

Bon voyage, Mike! Thanks for changing Rock and Roll forever! You have made your mark in history."

... yeah... umm... so they are going out of business. Loved all the cloak and dagger, secret decoder ring bs and innuendo. Good times.

Next stop ebay: $10,000 SLO. :yes:

Phil M":28p4n2el said:
Damn. SLO was a bucket list amp for me. I had a couple chances at near mint ones for $2400-2500 but figured that was a lot of money and I could just get one down the road. Oops! Probably not now!

I've always loved the tone but was put off by the loop since I use me some effects! I was excited they were finally going to release one with the loop in a different spot and now this. Not cool!

Wizard of Ozz":2c0wvlcx said:
bigangryguitar":2c0wvlcx said:

... yeah... umm... so they are going out of business. Loved all the cloak and dagger, secret decoder ring bs and innuendo. Good times.

Next stop ebay: $10,000 SLO. :yes:

Without a doubt but I bet there are enough out there that you should still be able to get one at a sane price.

bigangryguitar":1wziaqit said:
Without a doubt but I bet there are enough out there that you should still be able to get one at a sane price.
As a previous owner of 9 SLO's over 38 years of playing (and a current owner of one), I agree with this 100%. I think the used SLO market on these is going to stay where it's at for a while. They're not rare. There's a ton of them out there. Just because there aren't many used ones available right now (possibly due in part to Mike retiring and sellers waiting) doesn't mean that used ones won't pop up when owners need the cash for something else (holidays, taxes, another amp, etc.).

Will the prices go up? It will eventually in the years to come. The IIC+ took some time before it started getting up there. So did the Fender and Marshall stuff. Hell, I remember when you couldn't hardly give away any Fender blackface model, and silverfaces were just paper weights.

Back