Soldano Going Out of Business

boyedav":2w7f6s34 said:
Anyone think we won't see a Ceriatone clone of the SLO? Sure it won't be exact, but it may still sound great.

I was just going to check and see if they had one lol

messenger":2xonh7ui said:
boyedav":2xonh7ui said:
Anyone think we won't see a Ceriatone clone of the SLO? Sure it won't be exact, but it may still sound great.

I want to get in on the ground floor and dub it the "SLOriatone" if they end up producing one.

SLO what’s been a bucket list amp for me as well. Now there’s a Hot Rod 50 plus locally that I’m on the fence about. Guess I need to make a move before too long

EvilBatman":2476au2v said:
messenger":2476au2v said:
boyedav":2476au2v said:

I want to get in on the ground floor and dub it the "SLOriatone" if they end up producing one.
Grab a used HR 50/100 for a grand and you're better off.

Piero the Guitarero":hc7xbeil said:
If Mike quits and retirers .... what happens with the transfereble lifetime-warranty?

I was at his shop last week and asked him this.
Out of around 3500 SLO's out there he can pretty much count on one hand how many had warranty issues.
Soooo...no company no more.

david simpson":2ljzkbh9 said:
Piero the Guitarero":2ljzkbh9 said:
If Mike quits and retirers .... what happens with the transfereble lifetime-warranty?

Out of around 3500 SLO's out there he can pretty much count on one hand how many had warranty issues.

Like you I have an X99.

The pots are somewhat special, I guess they were made by ALPS.

If theres an issue with those pots, I have no idea which dealer or distributor
can handle the situation ... :confused:

david simpson":3r5bvhrh said:
Piero the Guitarero":3r5bvhrh said:

Dave if you go down there again I want to go with you.

Piero the Guitarero":118je3sp said:
david simpson":118je3sp said:
Piero the Guitarero":118je3sp said:

Like you I have an X99.

The pots are somewhat special, I guess they were made by ALPS.

If theres an issue with those pots, I have no idea which dealer or distributor
can handle the situation ... :confused:

Maybe the thing to do is order some replacements now while you can.

I have tried contacting Mike and Soldano tech support the last few months, even before this topic came up. I have never heard any response from either one?

I'm guessing he is just overwhelmed or he is just ignoring now.

steve_k":nt7p8kc0 said:
I have the last few SLO's to come out of the shop. All with the new loop and MV mod. They are fantastic. and James is right, if you want a Mike Soldano built Soldano, now is the time to make it happen. When the shop sells, they are gone.
I wonder how many of these new loop/MV amps have been/will be made?

Bumping this thread to discuss the latest happenings.

So Guitar Center/Musician's Friend have the SLO marked as unavailable. Blues City Music is out of stock until the last batch comes in (of which 3 will be available for sale). The last SLO on their site (1 option head with Haynes mod) sold for $1,300 above MSRP of a normal head. The BCM guy talked about auctioning off the last of his stock next month, but he also said these 3 SLOs will be sold for MSRP.

What's going to happen to SLO market value, both new and used? Obviously there's a rush of people concerned that brand new SLOs will be a thing of the past. There's no used SLOs available anywhere.

Snave":3q6x2bpz said:

So Guitar Center/Musician's Friend have the SLO marked as unavailable. Blues City Music is out of stock until the last batch comes in (of which 3 will be available for sale). The last SLO on their site (1 option head with Haynes mod) sold for $1,300 above MSRP of a normal head. The BCM guy talked about auctioning off the last of his stock next month, but he also said these 3 SLOs will be sold for MSRP.

What's going to happen to SLO market value, both new and used? Obviously there's a rush of people concerned that brand new SLOs will be a thing of the past. There's no used SLOs available anywhere.

This is a panic buy. There are enough SLO's for those who need them. The market will go back to where it is.

sutepaj":2v43spol said:
Snave":2v43spol said:

This is a panic buy. There are enough SLO's for those who need them. The market will go back to where it is.

I don’t see how it’s possible for the market to completely go back to where it is/was when there are no new SLOs rolling off the line. It will most likely drive prices up, especially if SLO owners get stingy, which I suspect may happen. We’ll see, of course.

Mr. Willy":hru1o3ig said:
sutepaj":hru1o3ig said:
Snave":hru1o3ig said:

I don’t see how it’s possible for the market to completely go back to where it is/was when there are no new SLOs rolling off the line. It will most likely drive prices up, especially if SLO owners get stingy, which I suspect may happen. We’ll see, of course.

There are a lot of SLO's out there. There are those that think their "mods" make them better. They are very great build amps. So are Roccafortes. I am thinking about investing in them, but nobody will care.

On the one hand, the market for new SLOs was fairly small (Soldano made less than 100 SLOs per year--closer to 80).

But on the other hand, there's relatively few out there to make it to the used market (fewer than 2,500 SLOs exist). That's less than Mesa Dual Rectifier Rev Fs, believe it or not, and we've all seen how stupid the used market is on those lately.

Snave":b5a6ivw8 said:
On the one hand, the market for new SLOs was fairly small (Soldano made less than 100 SLOs per year--closer to 80).

But on the other hand, there's relatively few out there to make it to the used market (fewer than 2,500 SLOs exist). That's less than Mesa Dual Rectifier Rev Fs, believe it or not, and we've all seen how stupid the used market is on those lately.
I thought there were considerably more made, but maybe not. I would compare what's going to happen as similar to what happens to the 2C+ market....up, down, etc. If your 2500 number is correct that puts it right around the C+ number as well, and that fluctuates from month to month.

Racerxrated":2o8tst3u said:
Snave":2o8tst3u said:

I thought there were considerably more made, but maybe not. I would compare what's going to happen as similar to what happens to the 2C+ market....up, down, etc. If your 2500 number is correct that puts it right around the C+ number as well, and that fluctuates from month to month.

That's most likely what will happen. Trends come and go (especially among forum communities) and prices will fluctuate accordingly. Can't really see them selling for much more than $3k used, even when they're out of production.

sjk":2o8tst3u said:
According to guys in the know over at tgp there are 4500 SLO's out there.

Doubt it. Their serial number system is simple: first two digits=year made, other digits=sequential unit number.

"The only amps which can be directly dated from the serial number are the SLO100 and SM 100 and those X88’s which have the serial number stamped into the chassis (most of them). On these amps and preamps the first two digits are the year of manufacture and the other numbers are an actual serial number. So the first SLO 100 was 86001. Only five SLO’s were built in 86." - Bill Sundt

If you do a little Googling you can get a nice sample set of SLO serials, and consequently their year of manufacture and unit number.

1987 - #6
1988 - #46
1990 - #397
1991 - #639
1993 - #1076
1997 - #1239
1999 - #1342
2007 - #1966
2011 - #2170
2013 - #2308
2016 - #2378

Back