More progess

8pumo7.jpg

R9ne0K.jpg

mtO8BR.jpg

pr1Sn7.jpg

qyDeDf.jpg

4x3NPu.jpg

That is looking great :thumbsup:

You know, I have two of those boards here, I should really man up and try to actually start a build :LOL: :LOL:

So looks like a ValveStorm project chassis, if so did you need to do any drilling for the board or transformer mounting?

technomancer":3glddvio said:
That is looking great :thumbsup:

You know, I have two of those boards here, I should really man up and try to actually start a build :LOL: :LOL:

So looks like a ValveStorm project chassis, if so did you need to do any drilling for the board or transformer mounting?

Yeah man grow a pair and start a build :D

Yes valvestorm chassis. Yes I had to drill holes for the board. I'll be drilling new holes for the choke because I wan't it between the PT, and OT.

CrazyNutz":3l9mb48w said:
psychodave":3l9mb48w said:
Cool project.

Why not add the saturation switches in a different location ala Cameron. The Friedman location makes the amp sound dull and lifeless... which is why lots of people say the never use it.

Yeah, I agree the SAT clipping is not something I like on Friedman amps. But there is a way to fix it to make it sound killer, get rid of the darkness, very CCV like. If you use the Cameron style depth circuit. Scott stumbled on to that one.

Tossed around the idea of making the "SAT" switch a "Cameron" switch instead. Flip it on, and it engages the diodes, and changes the depth circuit over to CCV style.
the NFB of the 50 deluxe kind of addresses this as it has adjustable resistance (response) post the thump control adding brightness similar to the variable Dark switch on the CCV. I kept it simple and use a 3 way response switch. While I still don’t use the SAT it’s much useable, I just have the diode clipping thing covered with the CCV clone

scottosan":306sdg58 said:
CrazyNutz":306sdg58 said:
psychodave":306sdg58 said:
Cool project.

Why not add the saturation switches in a different location ala Cameron. The Friedman location makes the amp sound dull and lifeless... which is why lots of people say the never use it.

Yeah, I agree the SAT clipping is not something I like on Friedman amps. But there is a way to fix it to make it sound killer, get rid of the darkness, very CCV like. If you use the Cameron style depth circuit. Scott stumbled on to that one.

Tossed around the idea of making the "SAT" switch a "Cameron" switch instead. Flip it on, and it engages the diodes, and changes the depth circuit over to CCV style.
the NFB of the 50 deluxe kind of addresses this as it has adjustable resistance (response) post the thump control adding brightness similar to the variable Dark switch on the CCV. I kept it simple and use a 3 way response switch. While I still don’t use the SAT it’s much useable, I just have the diode clipping thing covered with the CCV clone

Right. When I played around with the NFB taps, and also the response control, I really just found two usable settings, and is basically the 4ohm, and 16ohm taps. Everything in between is just too much tweak-ability. The 16ohm tap is nice farting around by yourself, the 4ohm tap is IMHO a must in a band mix.

But that CCV depth circuit, with the diode clipping is very nice!

Are there traces in that board or do you have to run them yourself on the backside with buss wire? Did you design the board layout or is this something someone on SLOclone forums is selling?

harddriver":3ovexz09 said:
Are there traces in that board or do you have to run them yourself on the backside with buss wire? Did you design the board layout or is this something someone on SLOclone forums is selling?

There are traces, and a nice ground plane on the pre-amp side. The board is very similar to Dave's board. It's not an exact copy, but very similar.

It was not designed by me. Check the Buy, Sell, Trade section of slocloneforums, if you're interested.

Hhahha...I have to say your avatar is the best CrazyNutz!!! I had a cat that would sleep over the vent of my Dual Recto when it was on..had to make sure the strain bar was on, otherwise I'm sure she would've climbed in the back!

I played with the Sat switch more this weekend. It's much more usable than I initially thought. You really have to play around with the Sat switch on the Friedman's along with the other switches and such.

jkdsteve":2b4trtju said:
Hhahha...I have to say your avatar is the best CrazyNutz!!! I had a cat that would sleep over the vent of my Dual Recto when it was on..had to make sure the strain bar was on, otherwise I'm sure she would've climbed in the back!

Haha!, yes they love the warmth of those tubes. This one would wait until I quit playing and turned it off, then he would come in and cozy up.

We have another cat, that every morning when I get out of the shower, he comes in the bathroom and makes me turn the sink on low, so he can run water over his head.

splatter":3ho4u1k9 said:
is this a kit ? If not where did you get the board?

to my ears the sat switch is just pure fizz

No, it's not a kit, you'll have to source all the parts, and do the research.

The board is from a member on slocloneforum, he's in Italy.

CrazyNutz":13dti4wg said:
splatter":13dti4wg said:
is this a kit ? If not where did you get the board?

to my ears the sat switch is just pure fizz

No, it's not a kit, you'll have to source all the parts, and do the research.

The board is from a member on slocloneforum, he's in Italy.

Not interested in building one ,I was just curious because of the board

Back