Ultimate Friedman style build

• Thread starter Thread starter CrazyNutz
  • Start date Start date
scottosan":259bzs7e said:
The size of the resistor between the depth and presence will greatly affect how bright/dark the amp will be. This is the purpose of the response control on the Friedman and dark switch on the Cameron. The NFB resistor value and placement before the depth behaves completely different places between the depth control and presence
Yup, bigger resistor / moving the NFB tap from 16ohm down to 8 or 4 ohm is certainly brighter.
Interestingly, what I'm finding is: there is a difference between moving the NFB tap from 16ohm to 4ohm ( pre depth control ) vs changing the NFB resistor from 47k to 100k ( post depth control )
Technically, this should be the same thing, but it doesn't sound the same......Hmmmm
Have to do more testing on this....
In the mean time, while I've said previously that with my BE100, I liked the NFB on the 16 ohm tap, I'm now pretty sure that I like it better on the 4 ohm. I think I was addicted to that greasy sound you get at low volumes, but when you let the amp rip, the NFB on the 4 ohm is just so much better vs the 16ohm. No contest.

Yup the taps sound different then just the resistor change.. to be honest I sort of like no depth control.. old school, you sort of have to set things up different in other parts of the amp though..maybe we all have gotten carried away with low end in amps.. reference a old superlead MARSHALL..

RACKSYSTEMS":1yujo9e7 said:
Yup the taps sound different then just the resistor change.. to be honest I sort of like no depth control.. old school, you sort of have to set things up different in other parts of the amp though..maybe we all have gotten carried away with low end in amps.. reference a old superlead MARSHALL..

My experience as well with the taps vs resistor change.

RACKSYSTEMS":1yrtfmka said:

So much this. I always have depth completely off on all amps I own with this feature.

Think people have forgotten because that don’t play in a band and mostly at home.. this is why I am offering options to turn things down these days.

Some iron came in today:

LixW8U.jpg

2a4xnw.jpg

Just waiting on the Power Tranny

RACKSYSTEMS":2dmjoxzh said:

Well said. :thumbsup:

A little depth goes a long way. Sure it’s fun to turn it up when playing at home with low volumes, but once the amp starts being driven, it kinda kills the tone a bit.

Think I'm going to space the controls out like this
6hIww7.jpg

The NFB circuit can do standard BE, or Slax/JJ with a flick of the switch. Another toggle will be on the back to switch between 2015 (16ohm), and 2016 (4ohm) NFB taps.
c2MosH.jpg

0Nqha9.jpg

mcgyver":31vpy0jt said:
So forgive my ignorance, do you buy this as a kit somewhere?

:confused:

CrazyNutz":31vpy0jt said:
splatter":31vpy0jt said:
is this a kit ? If not where did you get the board?

No, it's not a kit, you'll have to source all the parts, and do the research.

The board is from a member on slocloneforum, he's in Italy.

Maybe I am just failing at google, but where are you sourcing those ARS 100uf 500v axial caps? I am turning up nothing.

technomancer":1yv5ak8j said:
Maybe I am just failing at google, but where are you sourcing those ARS 100uf 500v axial caps? I am turning up nothing.

You have to call them to order: 1-818-997-6279

Heres their website http://www.arselectronics.com/ but they are antiquated and have no online ordering, I give them hell every time I call about it, haha.
You can look at their catalog on the website to figure out what you want.

CrazyNutz":1fyd0z22 said:
technomancer":1fyd0z22 said:

You have to call them to order: 1-818-997-6279

Heres their website http://www.arselectronics.com/ but they are antiquated and have no online ordering, I give them hell every time I call about it, haha.
You can look at their catalog on the website to figure out what you want.

Awesome, thanks. I was a bit surprised as it seems like NOBODY has the 500v 100uf axials in any brand online.

Back