1982 JCM 800

• Thread starter Thread starter BIGKAHUNA
  • Start date Start date
800's are MV....
Many better options for the money. Who knows what problems lurk in an ancient amp like that
Haha gonna disagree big time. I've had, at this point, 60 stock/modded Marshalls all pre 1990...and not one, has ever had an issue. The only issue that 'might' raise its head are the filter caps. Buy 3 or 6 ARS caps(3 for a 50w; 6 for the 100) and grab a solder gun and swap em in yourself.

The only amp issues I've ever had, in 30+ years of playing out were tube issues..and they were all new production tubes, which suck...and 1 PT problem with a Ceriatone(which is why i stay away from them).
Vintage Marshalls are very reliable(as long as the Caps are still good...they seem to last forever) in my experience.

All in 2250 shipped with UPS doing the packaging...the guy wont be bother with packaging it himself....
This is a good price; and if the UPS store is doing it they are on the hook for any damage.

These amps are a classic for a reason...low vol playing is fantastic; of course, opened up is best. But they are great amps, and the only amp I feel is slightly better is an early 70s Superlead.
Highly recommend grabbing it.

This is a good price; and if the UPS store is doing it they are on the hook for any damage.

These amps are a classic for a reason...low vol playing is fantastic; of course, opened up is best. But they are great amps, and the only amp I feel is slightly better is an early 70s Superlead.
Ditto!

Yup. Absolutely classic for a reason. And end of the day, if you are after THAT thing that a superlead can do or a MV jmp/early 2203/2204 can do, there really isn't a substitute.

I did - not here yet but really happy with the deal.

The amp looks super nice.

Regardless if you buy it, I would strongly recommend the PS2. It will always come in handy with whatever you buy.

Haha gonna disagree big time. I've had, at this point, 60 stock/modded Marshalls all pre 1990...and not one, has ever had an issue. The only issue that 'might' raise its head are the filter caps. Buy 3 or 6 ARS caps(3 for a 50w; 6 for the 100) and grab a solder gun and swap em in yourself.

The only amp issues I've ever had, in 30+ years of playing out were tube issues..and they were all new production tubes, which suck...and 1 PT problem with a Ceriatone(which is why i stay away from them).
Vintage Marshalls are very reliable(as long as the Caps are still good...they seem to last forever) in my experience.
Guess it depends all on playing style. We all boost but it seems the older Marshalls never worked for what I play. If I was playing strictly metal pre -83 they may work 🤷‍♂️

Guess it depends all on playing style. We all boost but it seems the older Marshalls never worked for what I play. If I was playing strictly metal pre -83 they may work 🤷‍♂️
It's of course all a personal choice. Plenty of metal bands post 83 do use boosted/modded Marshalls, but you have to work pretty hard to get that tone. Metal isn't my thing so I'll defer that to you and others.
My only point is, they are typically super reliable in my experience. Lots of hours gigging with them over the 34 yrs I played out. Never any issues.

The amp looks super nice.

Regardless if you buy it, I would strongly recommend the PS2. It will always come in handy with whatever you buy.
I’m looking for a PS 100 or PS2 but not seeing any killer deals on Feeverb or in the classifieds. Definitely on the list.

What about that hotmod thing. Does that work well for getting more saturation out of an 800? If so it might be a good option for avoiding the need for an attenuator.

View attachment 343318
Looking for a deal on one of these or the Mr Scary one to try with it. I do have a few pedals as well - an SD1, Koko Boost, Keeley Muse Driver, FJA and a BYOC Klon clone…

I shipped a $3.5k Reinhardt head across the country using my local UPS store. I specifically used the UPS Store because if they pack it, they cover it if it's insured. The buyer said he had never seen better shipping of an amp in his life and he's a gearhead.

Congrats on the score 🍻

I’m looking for a PS 100 or PS2 but not seeing any killer deals on Feeverb or in the classifieds. Definitely on the list.
Really, I don't use my attenuator. Great master volume and like I say you can boost or od the front of the amp if you want at lower volumes.

*- Naturally they do come alive and totally kick ass loud (mv at 4 or above).

Because of this post, today I pulled out my 1983 4104 (jcm800 50 watt 2x12) and hammered with an SD-1. It is totally 80s.. “totally rad to the bone”- for those that know— know. Killer amp
Congrats. You will love it

I wouldn't waste your $ on a PS unless you need an effects loop.
With the PS-100, the only benefit is an effects loop. Not sure if the PS-2 has one.

I went down a similar road with my 2203.
The PS did absolutely nothing that the MV wouldn't do. Sure, some EQ tweaks will be in order at low volumes but it'll save you a lot of money. Fwiw, i quickly off-loaded the PS ;)

Further more, if you need to get into the metal realm, try a Barber Gain Changer SR. It'll get you the chugs and then some.

Roll some tubes in V1 as well. Lotsa tone variations to be found there!

Congrats on the score! Great amp!
Have fun!

~Troy

Last edited:
Looking for a deal on one of these or the Mr Scary one to try with it. I do have a few pedals as well - an SD1, Koko Boost, Keeley Muse Driver, FJA and a BYOC Klon clone…
BYOC Silver Pony sounds fantastic through a 2203/4! Killer combination.
Personally, I like it much better than an SD-1.

I've entertained the idea of getting one of those Mr Scary thingys too. But until they come out with a footswitchable version, im holding off. I prefer to be able to have my gain stages at my feet. YMMV.

~Troy

With the PS-100, you get the added benefit of an effects loop. Not sure if the PS-2 has one.

The PS did absolutely nothing that the MV wouldn't do. Sure, some EQ tweaks will be in order at low volumes but it'll save you a lot of money. Fwiw, i quickly off-loaded the PS ;)

Further more, if you need to get into the metal realm, try a Barber Gain Changer SR. It'll get you the chugs and then some.

Have fun!

~Troy
I think it really depends on the music you are getting after. I am a big PS2 and PS100 fan for all of my amps. Both units have fx loops. Having a powerstation gives a bit more control over my rigs even though there is a MV on the JCM 800, it sounds better to me when it’s higher volume. I can get what I want then engage the PS and drop to whatever level I can tolerate. Idk. It just works for me. And I do a wet dry thing for some of my stuff

With the PS-100, the only benefit is an effects loop. Not sure if the PS-2 has one.

Have fun!

~Troy
One additional use is the PS as a slave amp with a W/D/W setup, which is easily and by FAR the best way to run effects. Best tone, hands down. However, it IS more gear to lug around as you'll need an additional cab.
I had a PS briefly but as I already had a great WDW setup, I didn't need it for that. As an attenuator I didn't care for it, my cheap Pulse non reactive attenuator sounded better to me...and, in the end, I rarely use the attenuator at all.

Back