2021 EVH 5150 iconic series Pre-Order is live.

• Thread starter Thread starter VESmedic
  • Start date Start date
Do we know if that's the full price or just a deposit to reserve the pre-order? They have the 4x12 cabs for pre-order at 499 and it’s a 4x12 w/Celestions, so that has me wondering if those are only a deposit. The celestions in the new cab are apparently different than what's in the other cabs, though.

james brown is a genius
i bet it will kill
2 preamp tubes means the 4 power output tubes are doing some pushing
isn't that what everyone wants?
899 srp is killer and means there will be used ones in 6 months everywhere for 6-700 once the thrill wears off
thats a lot of features for the buck at that EVH legacy pedigree

80w out of 4 6l6? you can get 120w like the original without problems

maybe less iron = cheaper, im sure Ed would not have liked that, he loved to move air

Last edited:
All this talk about "it only has 2 tubes", "it only is 80 watts", "it is probably built in China", WTF???? If EVH was still alive and was promoting this amp everyone would be swinging from the Iconic Nut Bag!!!! Just like the same crap from the "tone purists" on this site bitching when the BE Mini came out and that it was nothing more than solid state and must be just the BE pedal with a cheap as power amp. Heaven forbid no tubes???? Hmmm through my rig, I can get the Mini to sound just as good if not better than my real BE 100 DLX. I love the price point on this for the masses and if James Brown has his hands on the design of this then it will rip. Maybe he found a way to get rid of the phase inverter tube and this in essence will be no different than an old Marshall with 2 gain stage tubes and 4 power tubes.

I'm willing to bet thats a misprint, and they meant to say 4 preamp tubes and 2 power amp tunes. The pics im able to see online don't look like there's 4 power tubes in there, only 2.

It is what it is with this, with James having his hands in there it will sound good, but if I was a betting man I’d say one tube for the loop and the other for the phase inverter. Just my thoughts

All this talk about "it only has 2 tubes", "it only is 80 watts", "it is probably built in China", WTF????
and shared eq for all channels!

seriously, who complain about 80 watts? if where a pair of 6550 for that it would be awesome but, did you know you that 6l6gc are rated at 30w?

it would be the same as the Marshall studio series, there is a compromise on the power section, thats the true

Strange price. The 15w stealth heads are $699. That can't be the full price.
***I see now why it's that low of a price***

Last edited:
but will there be a breakdancing red stripe version ? 🕺

and shared eq for all channels!

seriously, who complain about 80 watts? if where a pair of 6550 for that it would be awesome but, did you know you that 6l6gc are rated at 30w?

it would be the same as the Marshall studio series, there is a compromise on the power section, thats the true

I don't think it's so much that people are complaining about 80 watts as much as it's such an odd power rating for a power section with four 6L6 tubes. People are confused more than anything.

Four 6L6 tubes only achieves an 80 watt power section? Only two preamp tubes in a 5150? Seems very strange.

edit: unless the tubes are mounted like they were in the OG 5150, not visible on the top of the chassis, and the description was simply mistaken.

The shared eq kills it for me. I'm still interested in hearing this one when some decent clips come out.

With the popularity of both the OG 5150 and 5150 II, and the fact that the primary difference between those two preamp sections was basically a resistor that cuts some bass from the amp's input on the 5150 II, I've always wondered why they never built an amp with a "Tight" knob that just blends that resistor in and out of the circuit so you could blend between the fatness of the OG 5150 and tighter sound of the 5150 II.

Back