2021 EVH 5150 iconic series Pre-Order is live.

• Thread starter Thread starter VESmedic
  • Start date Start date
Being James Brown is well down the solid state distortion rabbit hole with his amptweaker pedals.

Think he did all the Peavey digital rack stuff long before that.
Know for a fact he programmed Shawn Lane's amp into a ProFex for him.

These might be interesting. I really like hybrid tube/SS preamps. The Engl Metalmaster and Rockmaster were great sounding amps that were hybrids. Most modded amps use SS clipping anyway. The price seems reasonable.

Original 5150 was around 899 in 1992. i dont know about this.

That HUGE stuck on 5150 logo looks horrible to me and the inside of that amp looks like a hamster/guinea pig cage, just needs some wood shavings stuffed in there for the little buggers to build a bed in. WTF! Put some tubes in there! It looks cheap, because it is cheap.

Seems like a $h!ty money grab off of the EVH name and 5150 branding and it's interesting that it came out only after the big man died. I have a 5150 iii 2x12 combo and it's a very well made quality combo worthy of the brand at the time it was made.

Last edited:
I wonder if the odd power rating and lack of third pre tube are connected? Can you run 4x 6L6 in some sort of parallel single ended setup where you only get 80W and don't need a PI?

I wonder if the odd power rating and lack of third pre tube are connected? Can you run 4x 6L6 in some sort of parallel single ended setup where you only get 80W and don't need a PI?
Doubt that would yield a tone EVH liked.

And it looks to have a half power setting but nothing listed in the specs.

Yeah that's a possibility. Randall did an LND150 preamp with the satan 50w clean channel.
Being James Brown is well down the solid state distortion rabbit hole with his amptweaker pedals, personally I'm expecting something similar to his pedal as the preamp...

Exactly and you could even share triodes for the clean channel to with a few little clever tricks. I have faith it should sound cool...

I haven't kept up with 5150's since Peavey made them.
What is this supposed to do that the other versions don't already?

You should be ashamed for being such a hypocrite.
Where was your laptop made? Your phone? Your TV? Can opener?

They're trying to hit a price point for those who can't afford made in USA.
Stop being so dramatic.
As my post said..."after last year, what we know." For years people have said this BS about "so and so are keeping the costs low for those whom can't afford blah blah." That's not what it's about. Could care less about putting something in Jr's hands so he can stroke his electric twanger and feel happy. It's about return investment calculation...nothing more.

Yeah it was 899$ retail, if evh made custom speakers for this head that matched the Sheffield 1200 series that would be cool, I always liked them.
I remember in 2000, buying 2, 2X12 5150 combos brand new for $999 each. USA made, and killer amps. One of the gear purchases I always regret selling

Could care less about putting something in Jr's hands so he can stroke his electric twanger and feel happy. It's about return investment calculation...nothing more.

Glass half empty or half full?

EVH/Fender identify a substantial market of buyers with less than $1,000 to spend.
Does a cost analysis on a $900 amp and realizes it'll have to be made overseas in
order for them to make their standard per unit margins,

BAM!
A made in China $900 EVH 5150 amp.

1. Market is happy.
2. Brand is happy.
3. Factory workers being paid to build them are happy.
4. US dealers selling them are happy.

So again, what's your problem?

I remember in 2000, buying 2, 2X12 5150 combos brand new for $999 each. USA made, and killer amps. One of the gear purchases I always regret selling

Ugh, me too. I bought a used 5150 combo for $400 locally, and ended up trading that toward a new 5150 II head at Sam Ash, which many people love but I never liked. The combo was a beast of an amp, both in size/weight and tone. I thankfully ran across an OG 5150 head in mint condition a number of years ago before we lost EVH, and that will go nowhere.

Back