Back then bands were bands....

• Thread starter Thread starter SteveGlitch
  • Start date Start date
Music has improved?

I'd like to hear a few examples of this contemporary music that's so good that it's better than music from the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

I don't think it exists.
That seems to be the re-occuring issue here...."I think it does not exist, therefore it mustn't".

I could give a few examples, sure, but I have a greater feeling that it wouldn't change anyone's minds and that's okay, this thread was never about changing minds

New music is quite good imho.

There has been a massive shift in the way it is produced that is the heart of the issue of cookie-cutterness.

Gone are the days where a record company is paying a bunch of drug addicted hippies to spend weeks at a chalet/studio in Switzerland.

Even if you have a pro producer ( going through this process now) they push things into an industry trending pathway, and it makes sense if you want to try to be successful.

It seems the OP views music as an athletic competition whereby the determining factor of being considered "better" is merely the technical efficiency with which one plays at. I couldn't disagree more.
Yeah. techincal proficiency in mastabatory solos/sweeps has often sounded less musical than actually well written progression. However, one could say that the two ends of the spectrum are something like that video ^ (which isn't that musically pleasing to my ears at least) of that kid playing 16 caprice of paganini vs tom petty with his three chord trash, which really is the equivalent of a catchy britney spears song. Sorry for the reference, I really have no idea who is making popular trash right now.

Probably the truth is something in the middle

The music video I posted isn't popular, Meg Meyers doesn't have alot of views.

Still, she is a very good song writer, singer and musician (education in music, great at rythym and lead guitar). So people here saying it's bad doesn't really do anything, especially knowing they like something like Van Halen (who didn't even know how to properly set his guitar) or something like Poison, or even Led Zeppelin and The Who, they were at their limits with simple progressions and timing.

Evolution is a powerful thing and I understand it hurts for an old dog to get up and go somewhere when they've laid in where they shat for so long.

People here would rather listen to this:

You mean like in this? 😁

Not as bad as most of the shit on the radio. Kinda reminds me of muse. I dont hate it, but would never seek it.....shit that solo is dumb as fuck.though....lmao started just as i was writing this

Given the current tools available to compose, arrange, play, mix and master, one would expect the music created to improve.

It hasn't for a few reasons (observations) IMO.

One, today's pop music (for the last several years) has been simplified and homogenized to a great extent, and reliance on "perfection tools" (e.g., autotune, quantizing, stems, etc.) takes some of the "life" out of the music, and it is spreading to other non-pop genres. This creates an audience looking for consistency, accuracy in music that fits a narrow formula (or set of formulae) for different genres, and it's risky to deviate since profits on music are less than on produce at the grocery store, with few exceptions. (Swift or Beyonce, for example, can experiment and still be assured of good sales and profits though less than staying on their most well known formula).

This homogenization of music isn't limited to pop, all genres are suffering from it, some to lesser or greater extent.

This also allows musicians to become lazy, because any errors or shortcomings can be easily fixed; few strive for improvement because the effort isn't worth the results. It's unnecessary, and actually counterproductive. Those who do strive for perfection or new musical direction, as always, will find themselves in a niche market that is not sustainable financially (Allan Holdsworth comes to mind; if he had listened to EVH and created one pop-ish / mainstream record, he could have had more money to do more of what he wanted musically).

There are musicians that pushing music forward, and as always they are in the minority, but with today's homogenization they get lost in the sea of music that is being created and uploaded.

While I don't like the curator model of the past when record companies controlled who was offered a contract, and who they invested in, today it's the opposite outside of mainstream, no one is curating so you have volumes of music to wade through to find something of value, who has time for that. In the past there were some good curators of music at the record companies, because they were either musicians themselves or were devoted music fans themselves and could balance their knowledge and love of music with the profits. Now, everything record companies do are curated for profit.

I'm always looking for new and different music, and I'm one of the few Polyphia fans here, I saw them live last September because they came to town nearby. I'm finding I'm looking into the past more and more, from pop and rock music of the past, to Bach's organ works (pipe organ music is one of my favs, and I even have a digital pipe organ at home), to prog rock and prog metal, fusion (Holdsworth), and older thrash, death and hair metal, for inspiration.

TL;DR; the tools are there to make better music, but few musicians are using them effectively to innovate and create new, amazing, technical, competent, interesting, inspiring music.

My home pipe organ (one of four organs I have, I recently sold my '62 Hammond A-102 and matching Leslie 142 )

IMG_0052.JPG

Well said. Back then, no Tab...just your ear and how many times you had to move the needle back on your turntable lol. That was the only way to do it...and, it really taught your 'ear' on pitch, harmony, melody...I also remember the cassette player that 'slowed' everything down lol...oh how I wanted that thing at 16 haha.
And yes, every high school had at least 2 bands that competed for the local dances, and then after graduation who could book a REAL gig at a club....ah the memories...
I used to transfer recordings to a reel to reel dick to slow them down. By the end of the 80s I had wore out two them.

Last edited:
I called in the other day and had them play this song, dedicated to my wife:

My wife loved that alot more than Every Rose Has it's Thorn (Our prom song) or More Than Words - We love the 80's but some songs are better left behind... even if the melodies are catchy.

I prefer the Billy Squier version myself.

I used to transfer recordings to a reel to reel dick to slow them down. By the end of the 80s I had wore out two them.
That's awesome! I had a friend whose father had a reel to reel....his dad wouldn't allow him to even touch it lol

I've been largely out of touch with new releases since 2015 or so, save for the odd band I'm into. I'll get stuck on a sound I like and find myself digging through back catologues and similar artists of the past. I'm fortunate enough to live close(ish) to Montréal where there's an amazing scene for every genre, so I'll catch a band I've never heard of almost every time I go to a show there.

There's still great music being pumped out, though. I know Country probably doesn't resonate with too many here, but Sturgill Simpson (as Johnny Blue Skies) released a masterpiece (imo) just a few weeks ago. Sierra Ferrell put out a great album in March. Billy Strings has one releasing next month.

Voivod is still going strong with Mongrain - that dude is a legit wizard of guitar. Anciients from BC released a great album. New Opeth sounds promising.

I'm not a fan of modern production by any means, but that's not a knock on the music behind it.

I've been largely out of touch with new releases since 2015 or so, save for the odd band I'm into. I'll get stuck on a sound I like and find myself digging through back catologues and similar artists of the past. I'm fortunate enough to live close(ish) to Montréal where there's an amazing scene for every genre, so I'll catch a band I've never heard of almost every time I go to a show there.

There's still great music being pumped out, though. I know Country probably doesn't resonate with too many here, but Sturgill Simpson (as Johnny Blue Skies) released a masterpiece (imo) just a few weeks ago. Sierra Ferrell put out a great album in March. Billy Strings has one releasing next month.

Voivod is still going strong with Mongrain - that dude is a legit wizard of guitar. Anciients from BC released a great album. New Opeth sounds promising.

I'm not a fan of modern production by any means, but that's not a knock on the music behind it.
My biggest problem with considering Country as a legitimate form of music lies within the premise that one has to have a bumfucked accent to perform it. The biggest proof of this is I believe Urban meyer is from austrailia, but somehow has a "Country" accent. And this is all from someone that lives in Texas. I mean. There is some good country out there. But most of the stuff made is very poppy and I think it was the first music to really sell out.

Blues never really sold out, so maybe it is the best music. I guess the closest thing is Kenny wayne shepherd. But you know those girls that you have sex with behind the bleachers, but won't take in front of your friends, lol. That is kenny wayne shepherd for me. Like creed and staind. You guilty pleasures you don't want to be judged on

Blues never really sold out, so maybe it is the best music. I guess the closest thing is Kenny wayne shepherd. But you know those girls that you have sex with behind the bleachers, but won't take in front of your friends, lol. That is kenny wayne shepherd for me. Like creed and staind. You guilty pleasures you don't want to be judged on
I always preferred the more straight ahead blues of Johnny Lang than the blues rock of KWS but Kenny does have great tone and chops. Blues hasn't been mainstream since probably the 1930's. What I like about it is doing covers is standard operating procedure in blues and jazz, so you can offer your own interpretation of some of the standards without being labeled "cover band". It's expected that you cover at least some of the traditional material.

Reactions: rsm

Back