Back then bands were bands....

• Thread starter Thread starter SteveGlitch
  • Start date Start date
SteveGlitch
SteveGlitch
I wish I could agree when people say stuff like "Bands actually made something called music back then!"

Or something silly like "My favorite decade of music is better than your decade"..

But the truth is that skill-wise and song-writing wise, music has evolved and improved so much.

As musicians have more information available to them, new benchmarks have been reached, new records for speed and accuracy have been broken. Are young musicians still pioneering techniques and styles like they were in the 60's and the 70's of 80's? Of course, and even more so!

Of course, deadset preference and nostalgia glasses cloud our true judgment but if we actually look to find something great, it's far easier to find good and great music now than it was in past decades.

A.I driven music, anyone?

But the truth is that skill-wise and song-writing wise, music has evolved and improved so much.

idk man I haven't heard anything (worth listening to. None of that "prepared instruments" nonsense) that Brahms, Lizst or Mendelssohn couldn't have written

I think the entire unspoken mindset that the best music and musicians in the world came from the latter half of the 20th century and onwards is absurd. We've had hundreds of years of well documented music education and composing before then, and we've definitely had more traditional instruments and music from far, far longer.

I definitely don't think art in general is evolving in a way that's an "improvement". It's changed with time, sure, but it's not like Bleed, C.A.F.O or Playing God are more complex, more highly evolved as an "instrument showoff song" than Scarified, Serrana or Trilogy. And those songs aren't more highly evolved or more complex as virtuosity showoff songs than the 5th Caprice or Mazeppa

I'd say the reason it appears so is just because electric guitars and electric basses were relatively new instruments, so new ways and genres were invented and discovered rapidly.

And while I cannot speak to much to songwriting or innovation, I'll still stand by this hot take: no notable (read: famous) guitarist has reached the mixture of speed, accuracy and cleaness as Paul Gilbert in the 80s up to the mid 2000s. That benchmark hasn't been met, at least in the "well known enough to be globally recognized" group of guitarists.

I'd make an argument that some guys like Anton Oparin (who literally grew up in the right conditions) exceed that, but these individuals are few and far between, and aren't exactly making headlines in music media publications.

I think the truth is that some things are better in some time periods than others, and that not every change is for the better.

Seriously, compare an Aristophanes play to whatever Disney is spewing out on Disney+ and tell me with a straight face the man who died nearly 2500 years ago didn't write better stories.

idk man I haven't heard anything (worth listening to. None of that "prepared instruments" nonsense) that Brahms, Lizst or Mendelssohn couldn't have written
I don't like or agree with the "I haven't found anything worth listening to", this is the can't teach old dogs new tricks thing. As we age, we tend to get stuck in our ways.
I think the entire unspoken mindset that the best music and musicians in the world came from the latter half of the 20th century and onwards is absurd. We've had hundreds of years of well documented music education and composing before then, and we've definitely had more traditional instruments and music from far, far longer.
Music back in the 60's or 70's wasn't any more "authentic" or "realer" than music these days though, you tend to forget how sloppy Page or Hendrix was live. And many guitarists loved to cover their bad tone and sloppy playing with distortion and high volume, high gain amps.

As far as the vast majority, I think they agree that the newer guitarists from 2000's, to 2010's are among the best guitarists that ever lived. Like I said, if we're being honest, we are breaking records with what we can do. And guitarists are becoming more able with less years. There are 14 year olds that are fairly new to Playing guitar that can perfectly play Cliffs Of Dover when that took years for EJ to perfect that technique. So information is important to learning the instrument. Of course, lessons from experienced guitarists makes for tricks and shortcuts to be more accessible as well.
I definitely don't think art in general is evolving in a way that's an "improvement". It's changed with time, sure, but it's not like Bleed, C.A.F.O or Playing God are more complex, more highly evolved as an "instrument showoff song" than Scarified, Serrana or Trilogy. And those songs aren't more highly evolved or more complex as virtuosity showoff songs than the 5th Caprice or Mazeppa
That argument can be made for guitarists all the way from the 60's, 70's and 80's. If you're going to make the claim this decade's pure guitar music like CHON, Covet or Polyphia isn't passion, then why not be honest and say that anything from Santana, Santana, Van Halen or any other greats was showoff as well?

Nevermind that, it's easy for any intermediate guitarist to mimic Van Halen's techniques and sound because it's more basic and there are pedals to emulate that (back in the 80's and 90's this was hard, without success). It's not so easy to copy Polyphia because their technique requires so much more motor skills and clean tones.
I'd say the reason it appears so is just because electric guitars and electric basses were relatively new instruments, so new ways and genres were invented and discovered rapidly.
People were blown away by the invention of distortion but just as auto-tune is used to mask mistakes, so has distortion, fuzz and reverbs. It's all relevant but I'm talking about the progression of ability and knowledge.
And while I cannot speak to much to songwriting or innovation, I'll still stand by this hot take: no notable (read: famous) guitarist has reached the mixture of speed, accuracy and cleaness as Paul Gilbert in the 80s up to the mid 2000s. That benchmark hasn't been met, at least in the "well known enough to be globally recognized" group of guitarists.
My friend, Paul Gilbert was surpassed in speed and accuracy long ago lol

And ten years later, a guitarist wiped that off the floor with 10x's the speed

We are just pretending that guitarists aren't getting more skilled and quicker with each generation. Information available is a HUGE deal. We have kids. Youth in our church, preteens that can perfectly cover Eric Johnson's technique, Hendrix, etc. It's EASY for them to hear it and pick up the techniques in literally one sitting. You'd be both surprised and amazed. It's a generally common thing now.
I'd make an argument that some guys like Anton Oparin (who literally grew up in the right conditions) exceed that, but these individuals are few and far between, and aren't exactly making headlines in music media publications.
This again, could be said for guitarists of the 60's, 70's and 80's. I'm singling those because most active members here are from my generation and seem to gravitate those eras. Guitarists are greater now but also, their bands don't last long. Seems more like they accomplish what they want, then have families or go to school (live a normal life) and tend to fade out the limelight, so there's far less of a recognization of them over say something like Van Halen.
I think the truth is that some things are better in some time periods than others, and that not every change is for the better.
This is probably the only thing I agree with but probably for different reasons than you're suggesting.
Seriously, compare an Aristophanes play to whatever Disney is spewing out on Disney+ and tell me with a straight face the man who died nearly 2500 years ago didn't write better stories.
This is a strange argument and ironically kinda contradicts it in a way. Disney and Disney+ have written the most sang, and recognized motion soundtracks and most memorable stories in the history of mankind. And isn't in the same genre of Aristophanes. But I just typed it to you in with a straight face. I would look into your eyes and tell you that Frozen is more memorable and serious/darker and yet kid friendly than anything Aristophanes has ever written. I mean come on, she killed her sister twice, among being drugged. Its complex and it's overly complex because they have great story writers, great characters and a dark hook with a happy ending.. Plus, Let It Go is probably the most sang anthem in any household in the last thousand years, realistically.

I'd wager that the last part may garner some laugh reacts from the goobs but I highly doubt that anyone could realistically say it wasn't true.

That argument can be made for guitarists all the way from the 60's, 70's and 80's. If you're going to make the claim this decade's pure guitar music like CHON, Covet or Polyphia isn't passion, then why not be honest and say that anything from Santana, Santana, Van Halen or any other greats was showoff as well?

Because I never made that claim roflmao

My friend, Paul Gilbert was surpassed in speed and accuracy long ago lol

Yeah see, when you say that, and then post videos that prove yourself wrong with this little nifty trick, I already don't need to address or read anything else.

1723727407240.png

Because I never made that claim roflmao

Yeah see, when you say that, and then post videos that prove yourself wrong with this little nifty trick, I already don't need to address or read anything else.

View attachment 332223
Nice troll, but backpedaling and claiming guitarists' speed from this era is fake/sped up just because you can't accept that you're wrong is classic douchery. If you can't have a proper conversation without at least respecting your "opponent" then why bother?

If it's a win you want, I'll just say "You won" and you can go on your merry way. Also look up the interview of Paul Gilbert in which he states he's met more technical and faster guitarists than himself :)

Kids are crazy good now days, they have access to tools we wish we had.

Paul Gilbert says the Positive Grid amps help students learn 530% faster than guitarists from his generation.

He loves the Gen Z amp!

Nice troll, but backpedaling and claiming guitarists' speed from this era is fake/sped up just because you can't accept that you're wrong is classic douchery. If you can't have a proper conversation without at least respecting your "opponent" then why bother?

If it's a win you want, I'll just say "You won" and you can go on your merry way. Also look up the interview of Paul Gilbert in which he states he's met more technical and faster guitarists than himself :)
I didn't say that.

Some of them are, but not all of them.

What all of them are doing are slurring notes, playing with poor sync and skipping/missing notes, which is why you saying that they're "cleaner" is already very false.

It's amazing that you're talking about "respecting your opponent" when from the first reply you're already either misrepresenting me at worst or misunderstanding at best. You definitely didn't leave the parts you mistunderstood at face value though in that case.

And yeah well, I've yet to seen Paul name any where that's true.

I didn't say that.

Some of them are, but not all of them.

What all of them are doing are slurring notes, playing with poor sync and skipping/missing notes, which is why you saying that they're "cleaner" is already very false.

It's amazing that you're talking about "respecting your opponent" when from the first reply you're already either misrepresenting me at worst or misunderstanding at best. You definitely didn't leave the parts you mistunderstood at face value though in that case.

And yeah well, I've yet to seen Paul name any where that's true.
Dude, you just wrote a comment that said you wouldn't even read my full comment because you couldn't handle the truth. Obviously you live under a rock or maybe you're the type that prefers to live in a past decade, it doesn't matter.

What matters is that I was pointing out the fallacies of your original comment. There was alot that contradicted itself. You starting the comment out with "I haven't found much worth listening to" speaks volumes, and gives me the vibe right off the bat. There's far better content available at a higher volume than there ever was. The fact that many great guitarists that are better than the best 80's shredders is due to the fact that there are far greater amount of high skilled guitarists today, maybe 250 to 1. Tik Tok and Youtubers making more money than a cover band or traveling musician isn't a joke, that's why Fender and Ibanez are giving signature guitars to them.

You seem to be the type of person who lives by the "If I haven't seen it. It doesn't exist." That's why you must find it for yourself, as already proven, if I given you evidence, you're going to discard it with some excuse. Go ask Paul, he literally responds to any serious question and will be grateful - but something tells me that you won't. Hopefully this puts an end to the condescending attitude.

Peace!

Dude, you just wrote a comment that said you wouldn't even read my full comment because you couldn't handle the truth.
No, I simply have better things to do than to continue reading a lengthy comment from someone who has been either misunderstanding or misrepresenting me from the start, provides evidence that proves the contrary to what he's saying, and then proceeds to call me a troll.

Ok, gramps. Whatever. Have a good life.

Go ask Paul,

And get what, exactly?

A) 70s/80s guitarists (and vocalists) are notorious liars. I'm not saying Paul is one, but I have no reason to take anyone from that time period like the words of Christ.

B) I have been on Paul's Artistworks course and whenever he replies to homework or whatever, he never ever says that anything was bad, or poor or even negative. He's not that kind of person.

What would I get from that and what do I even have to ask him about this lmao? That people nowdays learn faster? Yeah no... shit? I never disputed that. When I started playing in high school, HD videos on YouTube were already the norm.

Yeah the floor has definitely raised, but that's not what I argued at all.

Last edited:
It seems the OP views music as an athletic competition whereby the determining factor of being considered "better" is merely the technical efficiency with which one plays at. I couldn't disagree more.
It seems like you are quick to assume the views of the OP rather than ask questions first?

I am meaning as the evolution of information/knowledge, skill, progression through practice, song-writing, etc. This is definitely true but if we want to deny it simply because "we don't like it being true". That's all fine too :)

As all sciences, we don't go backwards. We're moving forwards. Progression of technology just solidifies that, that's why any professional guitarist such as Paul Gilbert to Josh Smith will tell you that guitarists will learn more by practicing in your bedroom with a smartphone and a Bluetooth practice amp than playing gigs with a real band. Professional musicians used to think tube amps were best and playing love shows was the best way to gain experience. Gone are those days!

It seems the OP views music as an athletic competition whereby the determining factor of being considered "better" is merely the technical efficiency with which one plays at.
The thing is, even if he is, that's not even strictly true for things we have records of and numbers for

The strongest people today aren't stronger than the strongest people who ever lived. On average, yes, but as an absolute no.

The fastest man? Ditto

The most resilient runner? Same

The best violin players, pianists, singers, they probably aren't that better than the guys who were around in the 1800s, if at all.

Yeah, I never claimed that.... Music isn't really about "muscle" as it is more the mind over body. Not sure where that came from.

I can't stress enough that I'm talking more about the information available to musicians (guitarists in particular) and how that helps the evolution of music, creation of it and the skills, I've stated multiple times. For the young musician, they can learn much much faster, people may laugh at iPAD babies but it's truly incredible what difference that available information and technology makes. I consider myself a decent guitarist but am blown away when I see that the "average" teen guitarists who haven't even started a garage band are already better than a touring professional musician with 30-40 years under their belt haha!!!

I'd hate the fact if I was unwilling to accept it I guess, but I think it's super exciting!

Yeah, I never claimed that.... Music isn't really about "muscle" as it is more the mind over body. Not sure where that came from.

I can't stress enough that I'm talking more about the information available to musicians (guitarists in particular) and how that helps the evolution of music, creation of it and the skills, I've stated multiple times. For the young musician, they can learn much much faster, people may laugh at iPAD babies but it's truly incredible what difference that available information and technology makes. I consider myself a decent guitarist but am blown away when I see that the "average" teen guitarists who haven't even started a garage band are already better than a touring professional musician with 30-40 years under their belt haha!!!

I'd hate the fact if I was unwilling to accept it I guess, but I think it's super exciting!
You sound like a clown tbh man

You sound like a clown tbh man
Tbh your comment made you sound like a much bigger clown than me 😆 You seem like the type who just leaves a comment to stir drama. Go run with your pedo clan!

And sorry I struck a nerve!

Last edited:
There are most definitely 'technical' players that are very good, maybe even great. But most of these players seem to just to Youtube stuff...nothing wrong with that, it's the world these days. But, years ago you had live concerts that toured everywhere, and if you were going to make it you had to not only play well, but you had to have stage presence....live performing ability....that world seems to be much smaller now. I also don't see many of todays players play with any feeling whatsoever...just technical speed...no emotion...at least from what I've seen. Not a criticism, just an observation.

As all sciences, we don't go backwards. We're moving forwards. Progression of technology just solidifies that, that's why any professional guitarist such as Paul Gilbert to Josh Smith will tell you that guitarists will learn more by practicing in your bedroom with a smartphone and a Bluetooth practice amp than playing gigs with a real band. Professional musicians used to think tube amps were best and playing love shows was the best way to gain experience. Gone are those days!
1409e3ada1a79e69a10de7155492d7a2.jpg

Song writing wise? Um…nope. Most pop stuff now has no chord changes. I don’t listen to much modern stuff and what I have heard, I can always look back and find where they “got” it from. I like fast intricate playing as much as anyone, but there has always been that around. Classical, jazz, bebop, country, 50’s rock…they all had players that could play their asses off. Listen to some Django sometime, he only had two fingers.

Sure kids have it made learning wise today, majority never go on to do anything with it. Kind of the way it always has been. There are very few outlets like there used to be, most don’t care anything about music. Was alot of fun growing up and playing in bands.

Back