Best amp at each category

• Thread starter Thread starter Yehuda
  • Start date Start date
Thank you.

Another smooth brain.

I said the KNOB turns both ways. You stick em at noon... and you are allowed to turn it to the left AS much as you want.

Nobody said the frequency goes both ways. Another dude with a wizard up his ass can't catch the details.... slow down buddy. Pay attention.

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Why are you acting like a Joe Biden affiliate? You wanna be extra, that's cool. It's literally called the hell "RAZOR" and you're trying to downplay the fact it's harsh as fuck.

Typical wizard owner.shit.🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Again, Thank you. This wisdom is needed around here. I've never actually owned a Wizard. But I did have the opportunity to plug into a Wizard Modern Classic for a bit when a band was recording in an adjacent studio happen to be tracking with one. I found it to be the opposite of harsh. It was thick, warm, open, rich with a pleasing top-end bite. That said, it did not meet Marshall JVM standards in terms of tone, engineering or build quality (obviously). I have not had a chance to play a HR, but as an amp designed for aggressive styles of music, I find the clips to be impressive.

Simply out of curiosity and maybe ignorance (I'm clearly not at your level cognitively), how did Biden enter into a discussion regarding treble / presence frequencies of high-gain amplifiers?

Again, Thank you. This wisdom is needed around here. I've never actually owned a Wizard. But I did have the opportunity to plug into a Wizard Modern Classic for a bit when a band was recording in an adjacent studio happen to be tracking with one. I found it to be the opposite of harsh. It was thick, warm, open, rich with a pleasing top-end bite. That said, it did not meet Marshall JVM standards in terms of tone, engineering or build quality (obviously). I have not had a chance to play a HR, but as an amp designed for aggressive styles of music, I find the clips to be impressive.

Simply out of curiosity and maybe ignorance (I'm clearly not at your level cognitively), how did Biden enter into a discussion regarding treble / presence frequencies of high-gain amplifiers?

A Wizard modern classic sounds incredible. For sure. That and the MTL circuit are on the list but mostly the MTL.

I just don't feel appealed to by the RAZOR. (Lil too sharp for me on all examples)

And the Wizard remarks are a direct result of just trolling the Wizard Cult. I don't hate Wizard. It's users though, could possibly not be the type of people I'd hang out with. Mainly because I don't have a yacht and a beach house so the logistics wouldn't work.

DSL jcm2000 was cool if it wasn't for some of the easily fixable drift issues. I liked the SLX better than that and both dsl 100 releases personally.

Oh and I associate heavy reaching and points that don't make sense with the name biden so when it happens I just think oh look, a biden. (It's a bit of a slur term basically)

That's the piercing frequencies totally crippling your ability to discern good mids at that point..I'd imagine the upper frequencies fry the ears pretty good..then you hop on a thick amp and it starts playing tricks on you. It happens bro.

That's also why you should never tweak an amp after playing at any volume. Especially if it's a bright amp. It definitely changes how you hear shit in real time. Its science 🧑‍🔬
Despite what you hear in the clips, the Hell Razor is capable of a lot of range in sounds. It does the bright aggressive thing particularly well if you’re into that (which you’re not apparently) and I think that’s why most clips go for that sound, but I like a bunch of different settings on it and when compared to the ultra I was using settings more in that direction (still not the same of course), so it wasn’t a brightness issue and the Ultra can surprisingly actually be a very cutting amp (again if you actually tried both these amps in person you’d be aware of this all. Clips don’t seem to make this part as clear). So yes, no matter what I did the Hell Razor just had way more clarity and rock solid definition in comparison. I can even dial in some pretty sludgy sounds with the Hell Razor if desired and it still maintains more chordal clarity than most other amps. It’s just one of its main fortes. I don’t actually care for the midrange quality in any wizards. Never said I did

Last edited:
Despite what you hear in the clips, the Hell Razor is capable of a lot of range in sounds. It does the bright aggressive thing particularly well if you’re into that (which you’re not apparently) and I think that’s why most clips go for that sound, but I like a bunch of different settings on it and when compared to the ultra I was using settings more in that direction (still not the same of course), so it wasn’t a brightness issue and the Ultra can surprisingly actually be a very cutting amp (again if you actually tried both these amps in person you’d be aware of this all. Clips don’t seem to make this part as clear). So yes, no matter what I did the Hell Razor just had way more clarity and rock solid definition in comparison. I can even dial in some pretty sludgy sounds with the Hell Razor if desired and it still maintains more chordal clarity than most other amps. It’s just one of its main forte. I don’t actually care for the midrange quality in any wizards. Never said I did

I actually own one.
And this was a troll level 10/10.

The belt remains defended. 🥇🏆

That’s how I feel as well

I’d honestly even be cool with that plasticy ENGL sound if they didn’t feel so shit under the fingers.
Ya, the ENGL's are amps I have really tried to give a fair shake to, but they just don't really work for me. I have a friend who is a great player and he swears by them, but I find they have this over-compressed thing that squashes dynamics too much and makes it feel disconnected. It isn't simply a "turn the gain down" thing either...that feel is just inherent in the amps. Well....the Powerball and Invader I have owned, anyway.

Ya, the ENGL's are amps I have really tried to give a fair shake to, but they just don't really work for me. I have a friend who is a great player and he swears by them, but I find they have this over-compressed thing that squashes dynamics too much and makes it feel disconnected. It isn't simply a "turn the gain down" thing either...that feel is just inherent in the amps. Well....the Powerball and Invader I have owned, anyway.
100% agreed, owned a FB, invader 150 and a powerball (way back when Avenue Guitars was still the main shop in town).

They had a cool sound, but felt horrid.

Back on this topic - IMO there’s no best we have favourites so far mine would be
Modern Metal - Hermansson mods
Regular metal - Ground Zero (does modern metal amazingly as well)
Hard Rock - Bogner XTC
Most Unique sounding - Carstens Grace

They all do something super special

100% agreed, owned a FB, invader 150 and a powerball (way back when Avenue Guitars was still the main shop in town).

They had a cool sound, but felt horrid.

Back on this topic - IMO there’s no best we have favourites so far mine would be
Modern Metal - Hermansson mods
Regular metal - Ground Zero (does modern metal amazingly as well)
Hard Rock - Bogner XTC
Most Unique sounding - Carstens Grace

They all do something super special
I miss Avenue. That is going waaaay back. For local sales I would say I do most of my business with Northerner Guitars. Joel runs a good ship and is a great dude!!

Hermansson still your numero uno?

I miss Avenue. That is going waaaay back. For local sales I would say I do most of my business with Northerner Guitars. Joel runs a good ship and is a great dude!!

Hermansson still your numero uno?
Joel gives awesome trade value!

Don’t get me wrong, it is more open sounding. Less compressed. More clear. It is a better amp. But do I think it should cost double the Uber? No, not at all. Honestly part of it may just be bogner not realizing they could Jack up their price more at this point.

The Bogner kills. For half the price of the HR it’s a no brainer…Thus the reason you own that HR and not me. lol

Here are my answers:

Cleans: Anything made by John Suhr that has OD100 or PT100 on it.
Old School Dirty: Tweed Bandmaster or Clark Tyger
Glass Breaking Awesomeness: 12000 Series Plexi or George's new MetroPlex
Thick authoritative: Marshall 2203 w/ lots of volume
Best Metal: Marshall 2203 w/ Boost and lots of volume

What
I like channel switchers that have a badass clean channel, a 2203 inspired crunch channel, and a SLO style lead channel

The Bogner XTC literally ticks that exact box
What in the XTC is SLO- like? Do you refer to the red channel or boosted blue?
are the circuits similar somehow? i've owned 3 101bs, 2 SLOs and 2 Mezzabarbas and the only similarity I’ve found is between the blue ch and the rhythm channels with the mid sweetness sitting on different frequencies between the 2. Lower in the Bog, higher in the SlO and derivatives.
the only think that sounds like the SLO and feels like the 101b is my 2c+ SRGX, kinda..

asking bc i find myself looking for another SLO or SLO AIB to have with my 101b..

Back