Bogner XTC vs Axe FX Ultra clips!

• Thread starter Thread starter flyangus
  • Start date Start date
Audioholic":ep7tb6q1 said:
The mic'd bogner clip is well, clipping all over the place, so in that regards, its an unusable clip for anything serious. the tone is nice, but the recording technique is flawed. its really hard to beat a mic and some moving air from a good amp, it has a presence that can only be atained by using mics and such, but the Axe clip does sound pretty dang good for a modeler eh, plus no clipping. A little too brite on the axe eq, pull that back and it would smooth out. The overall eq's are a bit different, the mic'd clip sounding like a little more scooped.

MAn ever since that one guy stated that the clip was clipping EVERYONE started to hear it.....it does not matter as because in this gun fight the FX brought a knife :no:

I have nothing against the unit, it is very cool but that said just enjoy it and dont keep comparing it to a good tube amp cause it wont make it as Peterson tries and tries cause his over zealous actions has me wondering what his real motives are...............

As I said on TGP...
Dope riff, the XTC is dialed in stoopid good. The modeller pales big time by comparison. If it weren't an A/B the modeller would have been a good clip.
I re-amped your DI to see what it sounded through my shit...

degenaro":4bu15j0w said:
As I said on TGP...
Dope riff, the XTC is dialed in stoopid good. The modeller pales big time by comparison. If it weren't an A/B the modeller would have been a good clip.

ONe of the better ones imo Ed, you got some of the dynamics that were missing from many others, some were pretty terrible in fact.

WHat ja use?

Digital Jams":1jhdfr79 said:
degenaro":1jhdfr79 said:
As I said on TGP...

ONe of the better ones imo Ed, you got some of the dynamics that were missing from many others, some were pretty terrible in fact.

WHat ja use?
Amplitube 2 high gain pre, with THD BiValve Tone stack, 6L6 power section with the speaker sim shut off into Waves Q-clone with the impulse cloned off my V30/57 set-up.

degenaro":vdtem520 said:
Digital Jams":vdtem520 said:
degenaro":vdtem520 said:
As I said on TGP...

WHat ja use?
Amplitube 2 high gain pre, with THD BiValve Tone stack, 6L6 power section with the speaker sim shut off into Waves Q-clone with the impulse cloned off my V30/57 set-up.

Yeah ok so I am lost..............got some learning.

ONe guy's Elmwood re-amp was nice, bit more raw than yours but caught some of Angus's playing.

Digital Jams":1lg2ga0x said:

WHat ja use?
Amplitube 2 high gain pre, with THD BiValve Tone stack, 6L6 power section with the speaker sim shut off into Waves Q-clone with the impulse cloned off my V30/57 set-up.[/quote]

ONe guy's Elmwood re-amp was nice, bit more raw than yours but caught some of Angus's playing.[/quote]
kay....Amplitube 2 VST plug-in...clear so far right?
It has seperate components you can change...so the amp models in it consist of pre-amp section, EQ section, power amp section. Still with me?
Then I shut the cab model in it off and used another plug-in Waves Q-clone for the speaker/mic model. Q-clone lets you send a signal through any hardware gear and measures the coloration the hardware puts on the signal. Then you can impart that on a Line signal from your head or pre-amp.
In other words my self made speaker sim I can use for my heads by running them into a Hot Plate and recording the line-out.
But since I was too lazy to get off my couch I just used Amplitube as a preamp.

degenaro":2pe4b6fl said:
Digital Jams":2pe4b6fl said:

WHat ja use?

ONe guy's Elmwood re-amp was nice, bit more raw than yours but caught some of Angus's playing.[/quote]
kay....Amplitube 2 VST plug-in...clear so far right?
It has seperate components you can change...so the amp models in it consist of pre-amp section, EQ section, power amp section. Still with me?
Then I shut the cab model in it off and used another plug-in Waves Q-clone for the speaker/mic model. Q-clone lets you send a signal through any hardware gear and measures the coloration the hardware puts on the signal. Then you can impart that on a Line signal from your head or pre-amp.
In other words my self made speaker sim I can use for my heads by running them into a Hot Plate and recording the line-out.
But since I was too lazy to get off my couch I just used Amplitube as a preamp.[/quote]

Got it, very cool and thanks man.

I got Amplitude on my laptop for days I am on the road so I will have to dick with this.

Digital Jams":37q0oq3c said:
sah5150":37q0oq3c said:
Digital Jams":37q0oq3c said:
I believe the re-amping could have been done better and saying that with respect and not a knock.

I don't understand this comment. Please explain... what are you hearing?

Steve

I know very little about re-amping but I do know that his attempt did not stand up very well to the real thing, every part that a real tube amp excels at was not covered well by the axe-fx.

Maybe someone else running the signal through the axe-fx would have better results is what I meant and also I was trying to be nice :)

Ok, the only reason I asked is because I bet it had nothing to do with the reamping itself. It is rather easy to get right...

Steve

Digital Jams":aoqvq006 said:
Audioholic":aoqvq006 said:
The mic'd bogner clip is well, clipping all over the place, so in that regards, its an unusable clip for anything serious. the tone is nice, but the recording technique is flawed. its really hard to beat a mic and some moving air from a good amp, it has a presence that can only be atained by using mics and such, but the Axe clip does sound pretty dang good for a modeler eh, plus no clipping. A little too brite on the axe eq, pull that back and it would smooth out. The overall eq's are a bit different, the mic'd clip sounding like a little more scooped.

MAn ever since that one guy stated that the clip was clipping EVERYONE started to hear it.....it does not matter as because in this gun fight the FX brought a knife :no:

I have nothing against the unit, it is very cool but that said just enjoy it and dont keep comparing it to a good tube amp cause it wont make it as Peterson tries and tries cause his over zealous actions has me wondering what his real motives are...............

Not sure who Peterson is, Is he a fractal company guy?. but its not hard to hear the clipping of the recorded track, its quite obvious. You can hear the tone of the amp just great, and tone wise it wins, but If this was all I had to use, I would of had to use the direct direct cause its not clipping. Like I said though, nothing direct can really beat a well sounding amp and recording chain, its organic, and something our ears are used to hearing. But the axe CAN sound pretty dang authentic with tweaking, deep control.

degenaro":2e9si5ag said:
As I said on TGP...

Hey Ed, thanks for the compliment! :)

That's a cool very sounding clip, I did a short clip using Amplitube a while back - I thought it came out quite well for a plug-in! I didn't have any extra plug-ins so it's all the Amplitube software (bass as well).

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=23329

I agree though, the Bogner sounds better to me too. A few guys are saying the bit rate for the WAV file should have been higher, I have no idea how much difference it would have made though.

flyangus":13aonkc9 said:
A few guys are saying the bit rate for the WAV file should have been higher, I have no idea how much difference it would have made though.

It would reduce the hiss upon reamping. Possibly increase the dynamic range as well. See, 16-bit is limited to a maximum dynamic range of 96 dB. That means the noise floor is at most 96 dB below the peak signal. If you have, say 10 dB of headroom, then the noise floor is only 86 dB down. This is assuming the converter is not adding any additional noise.

Now, a high gain amp (and the model of that amp) can have 60 dB or more of gain. If you take that noise, which is 86 dB down and apply 60 dB of gain the noise is now only 26 dB down (86 - 60), which is very audible.

24 bit recordings have a theoretical dynamic range of 144 dB. In practice, however, it's hard to get more than, say, 116 dB. But that extra 20 or so dB (116 - 96) means the noise that was at -26 dB is now at -46 dB. That's a huge difference since dB is logarithmic.

CC

I liked the sound of the Bogner better but I'd love to have an Axe-Fx in one of the racks on my recording desk.

Bob Savage":1adw3um5 said:
I liked the sound of the Bogner better but I'd love to have an Axe-Fx in one of the racks on my recording desk.
I'd love to switch out my PODXT Pro for one... Someday...

Steve

sah5150":1d30siim said:
Bob Savage":1d30siim said:
I'd love to switch out my PODXT Pro for one... Someday...

Steve

Yep, I have a V-amp Pro in my rack that I never use because I don't like how it sounds. I'd like to swap it out... like you said, someday...

Well if I had only heard the axe fx clip first I would think it sounds GREAT for a modeller, but a/b'd against the Bogner, the XTC clearly wins in the tone and dynamics departments. Nice playing, mang!

cliffc8488":2d1k5rqb said:
flyangus":2d1k5rqb said:
A few guys are saying the bit rate for the WAV file should have been higher, I have no idea how much difference it would have made though.

It would reduce the hiss upon reamping. Possibly increase the dynamic range as well. See, 16-bit is limited to a maximum dynamic range of 96 dB. That means the noise floor is at most 96 dB below the peak signal. If you have, say 10 dB of headroom, then the noise floor is only 86 dB down. This is assuming the converter is not adding any additional noise.

Now, a high gain amp (and the model of that amp) can have 60 dB or more of gain. If you take that noise, which is 86 dB down and apply 60 dB of gain the noise is now only 26 dB down (86 - 60), which is very audible.

24 bit recordings have a theoretical dynamic range of 144 dB. In practice, however, it's hard to get more than, say, 116 dB. But that extra 20 or so dB (116 - 96) means the noise that was at -26 dB is now at -46 dB. That's a huge difference since dB is logarithmic.

CC

Thanks for clearing that up Cliff :thumbsup: (I figured that the hiss on those clips was as a result of re-amping and not the Axe-FX). I just reamped the Bogner and had horrendous interference noise or something so it's difficult to tell in the quiet parts how much hiss is there . The clip itself sounds almost identical to the original.

Any chance of having the Red channel on a new update?

I've been on the list for an Axe-FX for nearly a year :gethim: :D (swapped to an Ultra in about June), will G66 be getting them in soon?

Cheers

Back