Bogner XTC vs Axe FX Ultra clips!

• Thread starter Thread starter flyangus
  • Start date Start date
flyangus":26f8f9c5 said:
degenaro":26f8f9c5 said:
As I said on TGP...
Dope riff, the XTC is dialed in stoopid good. The modeller pales big time by comparison. If it weren't an A/B the modeller would have been a good clip.
I re-amped your DI to see what it sounded through my shit...

Hey Ed, thanks for the compliment! :)

That's a cool very sounding clip, I did a short clip using Amplitube a while back - I thought it came out quite well for a plug-in! I didn't have any extra plug-ins so it's all the Amplitube software (bass as well).

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=23329

I agree though, the Bogner sounds better to me too. A few guys are saying the bit rate for the WAV file should have been higher, I have no idea how much difference it would have made though.
Bit rate my ass...fekkin excuses...hold on I'm back in 5, let me run this shit through the Sig-X to show the bit rate don't mean jack.

Here we go...bad bit rate, clipping and what not...I still made it work...aren't I special... :)

flyangus":3noj25yv said:
cliffc8488":3noj25yv said:
flyangus":3noj25yv said:
A few guys are saying the bit rate for the WAV file should have been higher, I have no idea how much difference it would have made though.

It would reduce the hiss upon reamping. Possibly increase the dynamic range as well. See, 16-bit is limited to a maximum dynamic range of 96 dB. That means the noise floor is at most 96 dB below the peak signal. If you have, say 10 dB of headroom, then the noise floor is only 86 dB down. This is assuming the converter is not adding any additional noise.

Now, a high gain amp (and the model of that amp) can have 60 dB or more of gain. If you take that noise, which is 86 dB down and apply 60 dB of gain the noise is now only 26 dB down (86 - 60), which is very audible.

24 bit recordings have a theoretical dynamic range of 144 dB. In practice, however, it's hard to get more than, say, 116 dB. But that extra 20 or so dB (116 - 96) means the noise that was at -26 dB is now at -46 dB. That's a huge difference since dB is logarithmic.

CC

n
Thanks for clearing that up Cliff :thumbsup: (I figured that the hiss on those clips was as a result of re-amping and not the Axe-FX). I just reamped the Bogner and had horrendous interference noise or something so it's difficult to tell in the quiet parts how much hiss is there . The clip itself sounds almost identical to the original.

Any chance of having the Red channel on a new update?

I've been on the list for an Axe-FX for nearly a year :gethim: :D (swapped to an Ultra in about June), will G66 be getting them in soon?

Cheers
sounds like you had a ground loop...lift the ground on the di.

degenaro":2x46w62z said:
Here we go...bad bit rate, clipping and what not...I still made it work...aren't I special... :)

:lol: :LOL:

Hey Ed, that's a very cool clip!! :rock: Don't give me Sig X GAS! :gethim:

Think I might post my re-amp clips up, just trying to get that awful noise out! It's not the clip, it happens as soon as I plug the cable to the amp into the MBox outs :confused:

The noise is only really noticeable at the start though, but it's bad.

flyangus":1s74w8rs said:
degenaro":1s74w8rs said:

Think I might post my re-amp clips up, just trying to get that awful noise out! It's not the clip, it happens as soon as I plug the cable to the amp into the MBox outs :confused:

pig squeal noise? ground loop...i know it well.

degenaro":z9afb334 said:
flyangus":z9afb334 said:
degenaro":z9afb334 said:

pig squeal noise? ground loop...i know it well.

Ah I think that might be it! ok then, If I routed the signal through the Cornish splitter would that fix it? I think it has transformer isolated outputs.

flyangus":1209stm2 said:
Ah, ok then, If I routed the signal through the Cornish splitter would that fix it? I think it has transformer isolated outputs.
It might, ground loops are hard to track down unless you simply lift ground.
How is the signal routed right now, including ins and outs of the recording software and monitors?
And how hard are you driving the Bogner?

degenaro":194p5yuv said:
flyangus":194p5yuv said:
Ah, ok then, If I routed the signal through the Cornish splitter would that fix it? I think it has transformer isolated outputs.
How is the signal routed right now, including ins and outs of the recording software and monitors?

The out of the Mbox goes direct to the Bogner, that's miced up and sent back to to the Mbox mic in. The recorded track is muted to stop feedback.

PM me your email address and I'll send it to you if your interested. :)

flyangus":1rxxvpck said:
degenaro":1rxxvpck said:
flyangus":1rxxvpck said:

The out of the Mbox goes direct to the Bogner, that's miced up and sent back to to the Mbox mic in. The recorded track is muted to stop feedback.

ed AT eddegenaro DOT com

flyangus":35czfqba said:
degenaro":35czfqba said:
flyangus":35czfqba said:

How far is the Bogner turned up gain and volume wise?And you're going straight out of the M audio or into a DI flipped around?

degenaro":20ypbhb2 said:
How far is the Bogner turned up gain and volume wise?And you're going straight out of the M audio or into a DI flipped around?

Actually, I hadn't touched the amp since I recorded it - so there are no variables there! The gain was about 12.30 boost ON and it's loud TV volumes, no where near cranked at all :)

The signal is coming straight out of the MBox outs, nothing else. The re-amping lark is new to me :lol: :LOL:

degenaro":3j2a7wuq said:

I hear as much hiss as the reamped Axe-Fx tracks. Not sure what your point is.

As I stated before, the quality of the raw track is very important. Any noise will get amplified by the gain of the amp. Basic physics.

CC

cliffc8488":3hktayyi said:
degenaro":3hktayyi said:

I hear as much hiss as the reamped Axe-Fx tracks. Not sure what your point is.

As I stated before, the quality of the raw track is very important. Any noise will get amplified by the gain of the amp. Basic physics.

CC
Of course there is hiss...my point is that with all the whincing of the DI clipped, the bit rate, what have not...it's all excuses. I can re-amp this track with all it's flaws and it's happening with no effort. And am not worrying about all the nonsese...
The basic tone is happening I don't care about hiss. I can get rid of it if I dig the tone enough. Point is that you have quite a verbal following on the gearpage that has a very thin skin when it comes to A/B...sigh

But if you really want to get down to it listen to the noise on the modeller clip I put up...nuff said. I bet I can make the Axe Fx sound hip though.

Where's the dry clip? I might be interested in running that through the JMP, D60 and maybe even the Super-Shiva.

OK,

I re-amped the Bogner using the same WAV file that everyone else has. I snipped the intro because the noise is terrible, it's not hiss from the track it's pickup or a ground loop maybe. The clip sounds pretty much like the original otherwise IMHO.

https://soundclick.com/share?songid=6474770

I think my post got deleted, but if you are re-amping, you need a reamp box, meaning you can't really just take the line level output from your mbox and feed it into something looking for an instrument level input like an amp or the axe. not to mention impedience differences. A reamp box will make the conversion for you and get it to the right level. if you send too hot of a signal, potentially you may damage the inputs on your amp. I am not sure if you are using a reamp box, but from what i saw, you just took the line level out from your mbox.

Audioholic":3hienkja said:
I think my post got deleted, but if you are re-amping, you need a reamp box, meaning you can't really just take the line level output from your mbox and feed it into something looking for an instrument level input like an amp or the axe. not to mention impedience differences. A reamp box will make the conversion for you and get it to the right level. if you send too hot of a signal, potentially you may damage the inputs on your amp. I am not sure if you are using a reamp box, but from what i saw, you just took the line level out from your mbox.

That's just what I did. I wondered about impedance mismatches etc. but figured everyone was doing the same thing! Maybe I won't bother re-amping again until I know what to do or what bits of gear I need.

Back