Choosing a Diezel....

• Thread starter Thread starter teestone
  • Start date Start date
I've owned a VH4, VH2, Paul and VHX and there are great things about all of them. The "growl" from all of them is so unique and fun to hear / play. I actually have a Big Max on order and It should arrive tomorrow. I'm most excited about getting this one, because although I liked all the previous models I've owned I always found the compression to be a bit too much. From my understanding the Big Max is much less compressed and more "raw" sounding. It arrives tomorrow and I cannot wait. The manufacturing quality of these amps in my opinion is the very best in the business with matchless a close second. They are built to last and truly are great machines.
Last time I remember seeing some ribbon cables which are not favored in cork sniffer circles, so quality depends how you view at it, but they are solid. Wouldn’t put them in line with the best though.

Anyway I’d recommend to just get a Wizard at this points, as brand new Diezel prices are cracked in the US 😂

Last time I remember seeing some ribbon cables which are not favored in cork sniffer circles, so quality depends how you view at it, but they are solid. Wouldn’t put them in line with the best though.

Anyway I’d recommend to just get a Wizard at this points, as brand new Diezel prices are cracked in the US 😂
Wizards are imo the best current made high gain amps out there. Not cheap of course though

Wizards are imo the best current made high gain amps out there. Not cheap of course though
I mean, new Diezels seem to be $4k+ in USA, just throw a thousand or two more and you get a Wizard which seems to be a better build too.

It’s not like you buy expensive amps every day, so might as well just go all out when you do 🤘🏻😂

Last edited:
Tan pants!!
1000002095.jpg

I mean, new Diezels seem to be $4k+ in USA, just throw a thousand or two more and you get a Wizard which seems to be a better build too.

It’s not like you buy expensive amps every day, so might as well just go all out when you do 🤘🏻😂
I don't know that I would say Wizard is a better build quality. They are both excellent companies who build a great product. Do you know from experience? Have you owned both a Wizard and a Diezel and have technical knowledge with regard to build quality? In addition, use Diezel's come on the Reverb / used market regularly and much more often that Wizards. I have heard a Wizard in person and I prefer the low end growl of the Diezel personally (that and Wizards prices are ridiculous).

I don't know that I would say Wizard is a better build quality. They are both excellent companies who build a great product. Do you know from experience? Have you owned both a Wizard and a Diezel and have technical knowledge with regard to build quality? In addition, use Diezel's come on the Reverb / used market regularly and much more often that Wizards. I have heard a Wizard in person and I prefer the low end growl of the Diezel personally (that and Wizards prices are ridiculous).
It is enough that I don’t see ribbon cables in gut shots of Wizards. And afaik Wizards are built at much lower quantities, which usually means more attention to details imho. Think custom guitars vs big name production line.

I myself was kinda let down by Diezel, something didn’t jive with me, both VH4 and Herbert. But I am faaaaaaar from being an authority on the topic because I’m probably the most limited person on the whole forum when it comes to possibilities to try something guitar-related. Maybe I should play around more with one when I get another chance.

Havent tried Wizard, but would blindly go for one even given I can get brand new Diezels at Thomann prices, I would still save up another 3k to get a Wizard.

Everyone here who has Wizards say they got as much growl and punch as anything, which I tend to believe. But tastes differ. I for myself just want a IIC++ long head just for the fact of having one lol

But then again, if unlimited money and space, I’d grab a Diezel to play around with one too.

Wizards are actual.turret board wiring. However, fryette said that diezel amps were some of the best built. He said diezel did things he didnt do and he was already picky

Wizards are actual.turret board wiring. However, fryette said that diezel amps were some of the best built. He said diezel did things he didnt do and he was already picky
When I’m throwing grands$ around, turret board touches a cork sniffer soul a bit more.

I don’t say Diezels are built bad. I just meant it’s practically a factory built with no secret sauce fairy dust that we all love, no?

I might be wrong, and I most likely am. And I repeat, I’m no way an authority or an expert. 100% the countrary.

I can't speak for build quality, but can speak from plenty of experience comparing many examples of both. If we're talking the '90's Blueface or early prototypes I would prefer those Diezel's overall to Wizard for my taste, but any Diezel after that I'd easily choose Wizard's. It's true, Diezel definitely excel more in growl and thickness than Wizard's (apples and oranges anyway in flavor imo), but the Wizard's have a lot more clarity, cut, openness, note definition, and hard hitting punch in the way it moves air vs Diezel's being softer in comparison, and the Hell Razor is way tighter and sharper in attack than any Diezel. Also, most importantly to me, they sound a lot more organic, raw, but the '90's Diezel's I find a bit more organic and raw than the Wizard's I've had. It's a shame they don't make them like that anymore. They were really awesome amps

Jusdging by VH mini taking eternity to appear, I tend to disagree.
I just watch when people have an issue, they post in Leo's sub forum, and he is quick to respond. I don't hear people complain about amp problems and diezel fucking them around.

I cannot say the same about Rick. His builds definitely look more impressive (not that I know what I am looking at)

But yeah. I have never heard of Leo or anyone from Diezel insulting one of their customers. If it takes someone a long time to put out a product, it is something that can frustrate you, but unless they are taking money and not delivering, I would say it is first world problems.
Fryette has had the new Ultralead coming out for 47 years, but i wouldn't say that makes him bad with his customers.

I just watch when people have an issue, they post in Leo's sub forum, and he is quick to respond. I don't hear people complain about amp problems and diezel fucking them around.

I cannot say the same about Rick. His builds definitely look more impressive (not that I know what I am looking at)

But yeah. I have never heard of Leo or anyone from Diezel insulting one of their customers. If it takes someone a long time to put out a product, it is something that can frustrate you, but unless they are taking money and not delivering, I would say it is first world problems.
Fryette has had the new Ultralead coming out for 47 years, but i wouldn't say that makes him bad with his customers.
Oh, in that sense. Yes, that part I also like.

I’m not frustrated, it’s just I see Rick doing all kind of options on demand. And I’m sadly not having first world problems, as I am literally not in it lol

Did Rick insult and fuck around with people? I am clueless, sorry. I just seen him build an amp for that charity thing ToneMonster ran, so I thought he’d be a good person. Welp, then I’d just buy through Matt, his orders seem to be delivered perfectly 🤔

Fryette not supplying existing designs in desired quantities is strange to me to say the least. Also I hate any kind of artificial scarcity and shit. Makes me ultra angry.

Last edited:
Oh, in that sense. Yes, that part I also like.

I’m not frustrated, it’s just I see Rick doing all kind of options on demand. And I’m sadly not having first world problems, as I am literally not in it lol

Did Rick insult and fuck around with people? i am clueless, sorry. I just seen him build an amp for that charity thing ToneMonster ran, so I thoufht he’d be a good person. Welp, then I’d just buy through Matt, his orders seem to be delivered perfectly 🤔

Fryette not supplying existing designs in desired quantities is strange to me to say the least. Also I hate any kind of artificial scarcity and shit. Makes me ultra angry.
I asked rick a question once and he told me to stop listening to experts on forums. I was literally asking if an at7 or au7 in the PI might calm down the grate. I never heard about it..just was curious. But it seemed like he is not a fan of forums to say the least.

I talked to him about building me a simplified single channel version of MTL and he was real mouthy about it. I wasnt looking for a discount or anything. But he was quick to tell me the tone wouldnt be better..."listen guy. I just dont need your shitty "clean" channel."
But yeah. I have heard bad customer experiences with cold solder joints or him insulting customers for no reason.

The guy is cool with some i know. But he seems like a self important prick to me.

Email friedman sometime or fryette. Both super nice guys. I talked with mike soldano on the phone for a bit one time. All real cool. All genuine.

But rick pumps amps out. And they sound pretty damn good.
I love diezels also. Cant go wrong with either

I’ve interacted with Rick & Leo as well as Peter S from Diezel. All were professional and helpful. Not sure how we got here, but I don’t think it’s a mystery that Diezel builds great amps. I’ve never had any problems with the 4 I’ve owned and my amp tech is kinda a big deal and regularly comments on the build quality.

I asked rick a question once and he told me to stop listening to experts on forums. I was literally asking if an at7 or au7 in the PI might calm down the grate. I never heard about it..just was curious. But it seemed like he is not a fan of forums to say the least.

I talked to him about building me a simplified single channel version of MTL and he was real mouthy about it. I wasnt looking for a discount or anything. But he was quick to tell me the tone wouldnt be better..."listen guy. I just dont need your shitty "clean" channel."
But yeah. I have heard bad customer experiences with cold solder joints or him insulting customers for no reason.

The guy is cool with some i know. But he seems like a self important prick to me.

Email friedman sometime or fryette. Both super nice guys. I talked with mike soldano on the phone for a bit one time. All real cool. All genuine.

Oh shit, thanks for letting me know. Unacceptable, especially at those prices.

IIc+ it is then 😂

By the way, you tested your MGL in the room with Wizards, right?

Mike is THE GUY. You wan’t double OD channel SLO? You got it. You want a single channel SLO? You got it. Probably was a cool experience to be able to get your amp tailor made while on the phone with the guru himself. Glad I supported him with my own coin while he was in the business, although mine is a pretty plain build, just with switchable effects loop.

I’ve interacted with Rick & Leo as well as Peter S from Diezel. All were professional and helpful. Not sure how we got here, but I don’t think it’s a mystery that Diezel builds great amps. I’ve never had any problems with the 4 I’ve owned and my amp tech is kinda a big deal and regularly comments on the build quality.
I mean they are good, but looks more like a mass factory product than “boutique” experience. I just underline difference in approach. Reliability seems to be there.

Yeah I wouldn't deal with customer service like that. If he acts that way up front, imagine if there are issues with the amp?

Yeah I wouldn't deal with customer service like that. If he acts that way up front, imagine if there are issues with the amp
Yeah. And i dont know if maybe he is sick of dumb questions, or if things get lost in translation writing. Tones can be interpreted, etc. I wouldnt hesitate to do business with rick. But i dont have to. Matt is always getting and selling wizards, so i can just deal with him. He is cool as fuck

Back