First Friedman! NAD - SB50 (pics/clip)!

• Thread starter Thread starter Crunchity
  • Start date Start date
Crunchity
Crunchity
I picked up a brand spanking new Smallbox 50 this weekend and Christ is it incred!! Here's some pics and my first clip.

For some reason, maybe familiarity or just an easy way to begin learning a new amp, but I always tend to shoot for the VH tone thing first for shits and grins.

I like the chewy mids with clarity, very nice and congrats! :)

Get that crappy Soldano off of it. It is ruining the tolex. :) Just kidding.

VERY COOL!!! And the clips sound great. I am another extremely happy Smallbox owner.

Thanks brothers!

Only reason the Friedman is sitting under the Soldano is because my ocd can't have the slightly wider amp on the bottom, just looks wrong lol

Sounds great! I have been considering a Smallbox to backup my BE100

Crunchity":2htxvulr said:
I picked up a brand spanking new Smallbox 50 this weekend and Christ is it incred!! Here's some pics and my first clip.

For some reason, maybe familiarity or just an easy way to begin learning a new amp, but I always tend to shoot for the VH tone thing first for shits and grins.

Friedman SB50 Clip / Save As
How did you have your Smallbox EQ'd in your clip? Was it EQ'd the same as in your picture?

John 14:6":18j92cc4 said:
How did you have your Smallbox EQ'd in your clip? Was it EQ'd the same as in your picture?
Oh no, def not like that! Although that was what sounded great in the store, through a stock marshall t-75 cab. My clip is a Charvel (Super Dist) into a Timmy pedal into the Plexi channel (gain dimmed), into a Greenback cab. Settings were close to the suggested ones Dave posted here (had to do some digging) where he posted something like middle 8, treb 7, bass 4, prez noon...but I ended up with more prez and less bass. Gonna try again today, think it still needs a bit more hair, but prolly not bad for say VH II!

Crunchity":3pmvdxwk said:
John 14:6":3pmvdxwk said:
Oh no, def not like that! Although that was what sounded great in the store, through a stock marshall t-75 cab. My clip is a Charvel (Super Dist) into a Timmy pedal into the Plexi channel (gain dimmed), into a Greenback cab. Settings were close to the suggested ones Dave posted here (had to do some digging) where he posted something like middle 8, treb 7, bass 4, prez noon...but I ended up with more prez and less bass. Gonna try again today, think it still needs a bit more hair, but prolly not bad for say VH II!
Thanks for the info and I hope you like your Smallbox as much as I like mine. I am one of those guys who prefers the Van Halen 2 tone over the first record. Light Up The Sky, DOA, Beautiful Girls and stuff like that are the Van Halen tone I shoot for.

John 14:6":1y75tryi said:
Crunchity":1y75tryi said:
John 14:6":1y75tryi said:
Thanks for the info and I hope you like your Smallbox as much as I like mine. I am one of those guys who prefers the Van Halen 2 tone over the first record. Light Up The Sky, DOA, Beautiful Girls and stuff like that are the Van Halen tone I shoot for.
I hear ya, glad to know I'm in the right place - lots of love for the SB50. Me too on the warmer, less in your face VH tones, though the first album still has it's charm and is great as well.

Second stab at it...

JiMB":1iebb47l said:
Great tone!
Thanks man!

I wonder - for you owners of the SB, how nice is the footswitch? I'm guessing the quality is top notch, just as the amp itself? Mine unfortunately was missing (and it's brand new, sealed/box, etc...store owner was right there when we busted it open to set it up for a play through, he was surprised as well). It's no biggie honestly, I have an old Marshall single button channel switch and it seems to work fine with a standard guitar cord.

Sounded great to me, thanks for sharing. Greats on the new amp!

The store owner should get you a footswitch even if he has to buy one from Dave. The Smallbox footswitches are small and I am sure they are designed to withstand years of use. No operation problems with them.

Thanks gents!

Something troubling, didn't notice until today...my channel 1 volume knob does nothing?!?! Channel 2 vol knob seems to control the vol for both channels? Weird. Gain knobs work as they should, independently.

Crunchity":33ec7z5l said:
Thanks gents!

Something troubling, didn't notice until today...my channel 1 volume knob does nothing?!?! Channel 2 vol knob seems to control the vol for both channels? Weird. Gain knobs work as they should, independently.
It sounds like you need to return your amp and have them switch it out for one that is working properly and has a footswitch included. Something is not right here. My Smallbox came with a footswitch and both of my channel volume knobs control their assigned channels exclusively.

Yeah...Im afraid you may be right, uggh. The waiting will kill me (they only had one of the sb, one BE100 and one PT in stock). My luck....

I think Beavis and Butthead sum up your situation quite well here.

Where are you at and who did you buy it from? I can fix it for you maybe faster then you can get another.

Back