First Friedman! NAD - SB50 (pics/clip)!

• Thread starter Thread starter Crunchity
  • Start date Start date
sgill72":8fzn8fpn said:
V2a":8fzn8fpn said:
Chrunchity":8fzn8fpn said:
V2a":8fzn8fpn said:
What speaker output (4, 8, 16-ohm) are you using?
Not 100% sure (I'm at work, will confirm this eve), but I think the "16 ohm"

I'm pretty sure that the amp is wired so that the amount of negative feedback depends on the setting of the impedance switch. So with it set to 16 ohms (and with a 16R speaker plugged in), you'd get more NFB (less power-amp gain) than if you were to set it to 4 ohms (with a 4R speaker plugged in).

I think you're on to something here. I have a SB combo and it sounds better in the 8 ohm setting with the 16 ohm speaker. It's more full. Go figure...

I'd check with Friedman amps if this is permissible or if it might be too hard on the output tubes and/or output transformer.

But strictly in the context of NFB, having an impedance mismatch between the speaker tap and the load impedance will affect the "open-loop gain" of the power amp and thus also the "closed loop gain". Since it looks like the amp is designed to have different amounts of NFB for the different speaker taps, you might be hearing two effects: one due to the change in speaker tap, which I *think* would result in less NFB (that is, more power amp gain), and one due to the impedance mismatch.

But impedance mismatches usually make my brain hurt... :confused:

Totally forgot to report back confirmation, sorry...but I was right, I have it set at 16, matches the cab ohm. Just figured that's the safest setting and it sounds great so there was no need to experiment.

Crunchity":2q7xmgca said:
Totally forgot to report back confirmation, sorry...but I was right, I have it set at 16, matches the cab ohm. Just figured that's the safest setting and it sounds great so there was no need to experiment.

Thanks for reporting!

^^ You bet. :)

Another clip....new track I'm knocking out at the moment. This one is ALL SmallBox FWIW, no SLO.

Hello hammered, "Thank You" I've had soooooo much gear over the years you wouldn't believe it. I'm really loving my new BE100, I saw this tread which has been very interesting, and the OP was into Soldano & Friedman so I posted a photo of my passion.

\../

I like your VH demo tones but I think there is too much gain going on and not enough high end. I'm not going to ask you to do another one but if you do can you dial the gain back a bit and bump up the mids and treble?

The actual VH tone is pretty nasty in the high end and not all that gained up. Also, he (EVH) sounds like he's using a P90 to me on those old albums - Or some weird single coil pickup. Doesn't sound like a humbucker in the traditional sense.

purpleplexi":1y1ihcq3 said:
I like your VH demo tones but I think there is too much gain going on and not enough high end. I'm not going to ask you to do another one but if you do can you dial the gain back a bit and bump up the mids and treble?

The actual VH tone is pretty nasty in the high end and not all that gained up. Also, he (EVH) sounds like he's using a P90 to me on those old albums - Or some weird single coil pickup. Doesn't sound like a humbucker in the traditional sense.

To my ears the VH tone had a good amount of gain , check out SGMAD isolated sounds very gainy

https://youtu.be/s_5mMWx2F2c

Back