First Friedman! NAD - SB50 (pics/clip)!

• Thread starter Thread starter Crunchity
  • Start date Start date
Does it do it with out a footswitch plugged in just using the front panel switch?

Hey Dave, thanks for checking in! I'm in the Atlanta area, bought it from Ken Stanton Music, Marietta GA.

Yeah, does it either way. Tried it with no footswitch plugged in as well as with. No function with channel one vol...channel two controls both!

A few more days under the belt with the new amp, still learning a lot and loving it. Here's the BE channel with the gain at max.

I really like the sound of the small box. Thank you for the nice demos! Enjoy!!!!!! :yes:

awesome tone in that recent video. greenback speakers in that cab?

:confused:

Thanks again for the time, gents!!

Sorry, that's a Charvel with Super Distortion straight into the amp, then a very old (but well maintained) '71 G12M25 Greenback cab. Mics are an i5 and MXL r144.

Superb tone!! nice playing as well,seems to be a great amount of distortion,as i keep finding mixed opinions on the amount of gain the SB has.The tone stack is where this amp shines,I can hardly wait to play one and see how it responds to a loudish volume

Beandust":2avoacu3 said:
Superb tone!! nice playing as well,seems to be a great amount of distortion,as i keep finding mixed opinions on the amount of gain the SB has.The tone stack is where this amp shines,I can hardly wait to play one and see how it responds to a loudish volume
Thanks!! It has plenty of gain on tap...I read somewhere here where DF stated the SB has appox x2 the gain of a stock jcm800, sounds about right.

I just finished up this little shreddy type jam where I used an SLO for all the melody stuff...BUT THEN during mixing and finishing up, I nabbed the SB...so I couldn't resist adding it to the tune! The solo here is the SmallBox! It has more low mid grunt than the Soldano...they match/play together nicely!

Sorry to bump this but I just wanted to update folks about the great customer service from Friedman. My original new head had a channel one vol issue (didn't work). After a couple phones calls (the builder even called to ensure me the new one would be perfect and to let me know I could hang onto the current amp until it showed) and a couple weeks wait, my replacement head showed up and is rock solid and 100% working properly. Couple of minor things of note - they must follow the feedback from users/owners...my original head also happened to have the odd impendence knob slippage thing that was brought up here recently - but not this new head. The new one also came with different pwr tubes (TAD EL34Bs...which I've always preferred!!!). (=

Crunchity":kk3bad3p said:
Sorry to bump this but I just wanted to update folks about the great customer service from Friedman. My original new head had a channel one vol issue (didn't work). After a couple phones calls (the builder even called to ensure me the new one would be perfect and to let me know I could hang onto the current amp until it showed) and a couple weeks wait, my replacement head showed up and is rock solid and 100% working properly. Couple of minor things of note - they must follow the feedback from users/owners...my original head also happened to have the odd impendence knob slippage thing that was brought up here recently - but not this new head. The new one also came with different pwr tubes (TAD EL34Bs...which I've always preferred!!!). (=

Thats great to hear man. Hope my new BE100 (dilemma) comes with the new TAD's also, but I'll just be glad to finally be jamming a Friedman again.

Nice clips too!

Crunchity":2eg860st said:
Glad to hear all is good Derek!!! :thumbsup: My Smallbox Impedance switch seems to be the good kind too thank God. It does three clicks and no spinning.

Yes I had the older style and Dave sent me the newest,what a world..friedman amps are just tops imho

That's cool, angel.is the centerfold..cool editing too..

Beandust":fdktdh5m said:
That's cool, angel.is the centerfold..cool editing too..
Thank you!

V2a":fdktdh5m said:
What speaker output (4, 8, 16-ohm) are you using?
Not 100% sure (I'm at work, will confirm this eve), but I think the "16 ohm"

Chrunchity":3uhfc86h said:
V2a":3uhfc86h said:

I'm pretty sure that the amp is wired so that the amount of negative feedback depends on the setting of the impedance switch. So with it set to 16 ohms (and with a 16R speaker plugged in), you'd get more NFB (less power-amp gain) than if you were to set it to 4 ohms (with a 4R speaker plugged in).

V2a":2itpj3jn said:
Chrunchity":2itpj3jn said:
V2a":2itpj3jn said:

I'm pretty sure that the amp is wired so that the amount of negative feedback depends on the setting of the impedance switch. So with it set to 16 ohms (and with a 16R speaker plugged in), you'd get more NFB (less power-amp gain) than if you were to set it to 4 ohms (with a 4R speaker plugged in).

I think you're on to something here. I have a SB combo and it sounds better in the 8 ohm setting with the 16 ohm speaker. It's more full. Go figure...

Back