Holiday Ampfest SAT Nov 28th Mike Fortin will be in Town!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Gainfreak
  • Start date Start date
i've read alot of the 32 chapters of the original 1959 series III RCA manuals.

if anything i would think its a tuneable tank circuit from my textbooks, but i wouldnt know. just a guess.

if anything i dislike almost all of the recorded gain tone of mike's amplifiers. ive been open about this for a long time, nothing new here. but i do like the hulk mod. and also cant say enough about mike as a person - he's a standup honest guy doing what he loves and is a monster of an engineer and ive had the pleasure to talk to him over the phone. i doubt he's out to make money off of anyone else or doing it for that one reason only.

but i do know that the caliber of amplifiers that were there, needed to be played to get the full jist of the experience. other characteristics that soundclips just dont tell you really play a part in choosing personal favorites. no single amplifier is better than the other, but if anyone could have one of each, im sure they would. each is different and awsome in its own right :rock:

lolzgreg":2epeqtr1 said:
DiezelMonster":2epeqtr1 said:
Greg

I think your recordings are some of the best I've heard come through here, I freaked when I heard the Meathead clip, it's perfect! it really is! sounds so damn good! I played it non stop today for a but and just gets better!

If you take your clip down because of Larry, I'll be pissed off, if he can't get over how his amp sounds then he needs to grow up. Otherwise I'll move on from this place if this is the kind of bullshit that goes on here.

The Hulk amp was mine, and I'll get it back eventually, and as I said to Mike if he made my amp sound like the Dino, then I don't want it! hahaha

The Hulk is an amazing amp and I'm glad I had the chance to own it, but considering what I will own in a month or two, I'll be happy for the rest of my life, especially since it was built by the nicest, most humble amp dude I've ever met not some egocentric person looking for the spotlight.

seems the curtain really is being lifted, but not on Mike.....

C

Thanks for the kind words, dude :rock:

I will also be the proud owner of a Meathead within the next year if all goes well financially. It really sounds like the perfect amp for me. The reamps were magical the first time, which means I NEEED that amp :rock:

Mike, do you offer payment plans? Perhaps free clips for life? :lol: :LOL:

hey greg i never got the chance to say thanks for offering to give your experience for recording clips for all to listen to of the ampfest in general.

also thanks to everyone who took pictures too - driving 12 hours one way was out of my reach. so its cool to be able to see everyone and sorta get a feel for what went on :rock:

Yeah Greg uses Cubase4 and at some point I will be bugging him for basic ideas and tips for recording using that DAW.

FortinAmps":r1l7a76c said:
novosibir":r1l7a76c said:
lolzgreg":r1l7a76c said:
You know, I liked the Larry in the room, but it REALLY did not sound great under the microphone.
That's something, what I absolutely can't imagine and I don't have any 'concrete' idea for a possible reason, because what I've heard yet from studio techs and the mixing console guys on several tours almost always has been quite the opposite. Either they said, that the DINO is the best, or is one of the best amps, they've ever had under the microphone. And I've spent myself altogether at least about 150-200 hours in several studios while the developing phase(s) of the DINO and during the recording of some bands, to not only get it sound right, but to get it also sound right under the microphone.

Unfortunately I wasn't around and couldn't hear it myself. But can you please ask Mike, whether he maybe has changed something in the amp's circuit after his liking or by experimenting with the amp - or/and whether he maybe has pulled the orig. NOS tubes and has swapped in something different - or/and maybe he even has removed the orig. OT, to have it re-engineered and has swapped in another one temporarily?

I don't have any other idea, why this has happened as you said, because I know, that the DINO at least is one of the best amps under the microphone. If it's different, then all the other studio techs before must have been fools :confused:

Larry

Hey Larry,
Don't sweat Greg's comment. The amp sounded amazing! I just went to listen to the audio in the clips section. I think is sounds stellar :rock: It was Dave playing through it while I was showing him all the adjuments on the amp.

The amp has the original tubes in it and nothing was done to it except for the parts that you sent to me to change the British channel to bring it up to the signature JS Dino with the British heavy crunch and British Hot Rod 1. The clip was done on the Scream channel btw.

No way Larry :lol: :LOL: If I ever had a problem with the OT in the Dino, I wouldn't fuck with the masterpiece :thumbsup: I'd be contacting you and sending the original OT back for a replacement :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Mike

Seems that Clip Compilation turned into a Clip Complication :aww:

:lol: :LOL:

glpg80":2td5xsho said:
i've read alot of the 32 chapters of the original 1959 series III RCA manuals.

if anything i would think its a tuneable tank circuit from my textbooks, but i wouldnt know. just a guess.

if anything i dislike almost all of the recorded gain tone of mike's amplifiers. ive been open about this for a long time, nothing new here. but i do like the hulk mod. and also cant say enough about mike as a person - he's a standup honest guy doing what he loves and is a monster of an engineer and ive had the pleasure to talk to him over the phone. i doubt he's out to make money off of anyone else or doing it for that one reason only.

but i do know that the caliber of amplifiers that were there, needed to be played to get the full jist of the experience. other characteristics that soundclips just dont tell you really play a part in choosing personal favorites. no single amplifier is better than the other, but if anyone could have one of each, im sure they would. each is different and awsome in its own right :rock:

The 5150 cab is pretty much the poorest cab to ever mic up, by the way. I would know. I owned one.

I would get a Mesa Recto 4x12 and quit thinking it's flubby if I were you. Trust me now, thank me later.

Also, you're welcome. I wanted everyone to be able to experience FortinFest even if they couldn't make it.

lolzgreg":37271dts said:
being able to jive with the older gentlemen at FortinFest speaks for itself in the way that I am a mature and relatively knowledgable young adult.

"Older gentlemen" :lol: :LOL: Next ampfest will be at a nursing home :D

Your manners are exquisite young man.

Now, go clean your room !

thegame":lp8gazhf said:
lolzgreg":lp8gazhf said:
being able to jive with the older gentlemen at FortinFest speaks for itself in the way that I am a mature and relatively knowledgable young adult.

:lol: :LOL: Respect is respect. I'm 21; the second youngest person there I assume was around 35. I was the only person there who doesn't make enough money a year to live by themself. You have to give it up for people who are older than you who are successful and experienced enough to be able to afford a house and have kids. That stuff ain't easy. :rock:

Listened to the clips last nite. It's a shame the Mills cab was mic'd and used for the Meathead and Larry clips. Doesnt seem to lend itself to micing. The Marshall cab clips sound much better. The Hulk and Cali have the best recorded sound to me.

Greazygeo":1mfnh4y5 said:
Listened to the clips last nite. It's a shame the Mills cab was mic'd and used for the Meathead and Larry clips. Doesnt seem to lend itself to micing. The Marshall cab clips sound much better. The Hulk and Cali have the best recorded sound to me.

So Mike can put you down for a Hiwatt Cali? :lol: :LOL:

Greazygeo":7tjqy9tr said:
It's a shame the Mills cab was mic'd and used for the Meathead and Larry clips. Doesnt seem to lend itself to micing. The Marshall cab clips sound much better. The Hulk and Cali have the best recorded sound to me.

I think "better" is legitimately a matter of taste in this context. That Marshall cab sounded excellent, but so did the Mills for the Meathead clips! (awesome enough that the next cabinet I'm getting is a vintage esque-4x12 with Blackback 30 55hz clones).

Cheers for bringing that awesome box to the fest psychodave :rock:

lolzgreg":336h4szr said:
Greazygeo":336h4szr said:
It's a shame the Mills cab was mic'd and used for the Meathead and Larry clips. Doesnt seem to lend itself to micing. The Marshall cab clips sound much better. The Hulk and Cali have the best recorded sound to me.

I think "better" is legitimately a matter of taste in this context. That Marshall cab sounded excellent, but so did the Mills for the Meathead clips! (awesome enough that the next cabinet I'm getting is a vintage esque-4x12 with Blackback 30 55hz clones).

I think ultimately it's a matter of matching up the right amp with the right Cab or speakers. I wouldn't pick a vintage Marshall to use with the oversized Mills cab loaded with those speakers you had but Id definitely use the Mills for the low de-tuned distorted tones in a NY minute :rock: .

I also forgot to mention that we really didn't swap things for recording lol! It was more about plug in and play snf Greg caught it !!! :rock: :rock:

If we were really doin demos then that would be a different story ;) :rock:

lolzgreg":2r23whlv said:
thegame":2r23whlv said:
lolzgreg":2r23whlv said:

:lol: :LOL: Respect is respect. I'm 21; the second youngest person there I assume was around 35. I was the only person there who doesn't make enough money a year to live by themself. You have to give it up for people who are older than you who are successful and experienced enough to be able to afford a house and have kids. That stuff ain't easy. :rock:

28*

Stratboy151":ms0vnhph said:
lolzgreg":ms0vnhph said:
thegame":ms0vnhph said:
lolzgreg":ms0vnhph said:

28*

Sorry, John. A lot can happen in 7 years :lol: :LOL: Your chops are off the hook, by the way.

lolzgreg":36x7pum2 said:
Stratboy151":36x7pum2 said:
thegame":36x7pum2 said:

28*

Sorry, John. A lot can happen in 7 years :lol: :LOL: Your chops are off the hook, by the way.

thanks!

Digital Jams":331lor8g said:
Greazygeo":331lor8g said:

So Mike can put you down for a Hiwatt Cali? :lol: :LOL:
Umm.....that would be a NO! :lol: :LOL:

The Hiwatt is basically right where it should be. It's killer!

lolzgreg":2bu0fn3o said:
Greazygeo":2bu0fn3o said:

IMO it doesnt sound near as good. The recordings of those two amps sound weak in comparison, sorry.

lolzgreg":1t0wsz3y said:
No problem, Mike. Thanks for bringing the best amp arsenal in existance with you :rock:

As I mentioned, next time I will hopefully get to bring my better recording rig and reamp through every amp there, two different styles of music, clean AND distorted, AND have time to tweak. I can't wait 'till I have the funds for a Meathead. Definitely the best amp I've ever played :rock:

No, thank you for coming out and hanging with us old dudes :lol: :LOL:

I'm glad that you brought out the Baron as well as I have never heard one. Very cool amp and I can't believe the amount of tone and features for what you paid for it :thumbsup:
Thanks for the good words!

killertone":1ildw256 said:
Right on, Mike. Gald to hear you survived the 10.5 hour drive, that is a long one even by Texas standards! :lol: :LOL:

I have had a lot of time with the amp and I tell you what, this thing kills. It took me a little while to find my sweet spot but I have found it and then some. I am 99% there and can not wait to get it with the band this week. I will have some killer clips ready for you to check out and I think you will be proud. :thumbsup:

That's excellent to hear. Please let me know your thoughts after you had some band rehearsals with it. Looking forward to hearing clips from you. I love your clips in your siggy :rock:

novosibir":chrpwvp3 said:
Thanks! And yes, those amps are cult meanwhile, despite the noise they sometimes do have.
But to avoid a possible misunderstanding of my post and to not leave a wrong impression - these 3 amps were and still are my Archetype reference amps, which I've also used to match and compare my new custom wound OT's for the British Purist and the Rock Wizard during this spring - but they aren't my properties. They belong to the guy, who's busy with importing and distributing musical equipment from China, about what I've already informed you a while ago. But he only needs two of this 3 amps about six times a year (the 2 black ones), when he's playing guitar at some biker festivals - all the other time I can have it around as long as I want.

Only concerning the red '71 Super Lead we are in negotiation about a deal with a British Purist and some compensatory payment, because this one is sounding somewhat special, sweet and rich with its Drake irons instead of Dagnall in it, what I personally like very much.

Very cool of him to loan them to you for reference. Yes, I remember the pics of the red amp you were doing a while back for that distributor. Did they end up redoing the wire dressing like you suggested?

Haha - thanks for the compliment - for she I sometimes have to banish some young and insistent guys off the house's door or away from behind the terrasse like a knight :gethim:
:lol: :LOL: my daughter is only 5 years old but it is something I am already thinking about :cry:

We've pushed the amp fest to Saturday, Dec. 12-th now, because I feared, that my new Rock Wizard won't be finished and fine tweaked betimes and I didn't get back a slightly special built JTM45 clone back from the editorial office of Gitarre&Bass, where it went after finishing for a review.

This one: http://www.historiclespauls.com/forum/v ... f=3&t=1764

It's in German, but I think, that just the photos are telling the whole story.

Maybe I take the red Super Lead to the Ampfest, but first have to check, whether it's enough place in my Bavarian car – because by any means I take my British Purist and the Rock Wizard there, my '76 Marshall cab, the JTM45 and a '68 Plexi Super Bass.

If we get some acceptable recording together at the Ampfest, then I'll link it here. We've already had an Ampfest in August, where I've tried to record the amp sounds with a Zoom H2, what I quickly have buyed at the same day, but..... :D

Larry
Thanks for the link. When I get little free time, I'll have to check out that link you emailed me on your Rock Wizard. I hope that you guys record some audio as I would love to hear those amps in action :rawk:

Cheers,
Mike

Back