Holiday Ampfest SAT Nov 28th Mike Fortin will be in Town!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Gainfreak
  • Start date Start date
Regardless of what I think about you Larry, your stepdaughter is quite attractive!

:lol: :LOL: :D

novosibir":s4n156yy said:
Gainfreak":s4n156yy said:
Ok Larry, I can see that this will go knowhere so I will drop it :hys:
The Minister of Defense spoke - and I'm already so afraid :confused:

No place to hide, no place to run... :cry:

Larry
:hys:

glip22":2a6noo7r said:
I'm confused. An amp that cost $7,500 should have shit on everything that it came near and should have easily been the highlight of the Fest. :confused:

While all of the amps were great and had their own attributes, I thought the highlight of the Fest was the Meathead ... such a wide array of sounds from that amp. Just incredible. Also, it is all totally programmable ... amazing. If I had to pick just one, it would be the Meathead. Done! :rock:

carl roa":kklnf0ut said:
glip22":kklnf0ut said:
I'm confused. An amp that cost $7,500 should have shit on everything that it came near and should have easily been the highlight of the Fest. :confused:

While all of the amps were great and had their own attributes, I thought the highlight of the Fest was the Meathead ... such a wide array of sounds from that amp. Just incredible. Also, it is all totally programmable ... amazing. If I had to pick just one, it would be the Meathead. Done! :rock:

I concur 100%. You are a lucky son-of-a-gun to have one on order! :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to do a lot of recordings to save up for one of those beasts :(

-Greg

carl roa":di44pvmk said:
glip22":di44pvmk said:

Carl I couldn't have said it bette myself!

The Meathead is just "it" for me! Now if I could just play as well as you do and the other guys at the fest, then maybe I can justfy the purchase! hahah oh well! who cares about that, I'm going to have a fuckin Meathead! hahahahahaha

Also Greg, I want to thank you for making those clips! I think they perfectly and accuratly represented how each of these amps sound, even if some people don't get it!

C

glip22":14b3t364 said:

I think when you get amps of this caliber all in the same room it's about what flavor you prefer. I was never familiar with Larry amps at all before this so i had no opinions whatever way about them. I came out thinking it was a very good sounding amp, when Mike set it to it's Marshall voicing i thought it was pretty convincing.

But after hearing my Cali mod in the room with all these other amps I'm pretty damm happy i own this amp because it MORE than held it's own IMHO. But heck, give me a Meathead and no other amp ever and I'd be happy. And i can't say enough how good the Bones sounded.

DiezelMonster":1v65o8fr said:
carl roa":1v65o8fr said:
glip22":1v65o8fr said:

The Meathead is just "it" for me! Now if I could just play as well as you do and the other guys at the fest, then maybe I can justfy the purchase! hahah oh well! who cares about that, I'm going to have a fuckin Meathead! hahahahahaha

Also Greg, I want to thank you for making those clips! I think they perfectly and accuratly represented how each of these amps sound, even if some people don't get it!

C

You're a lucky SOB, the thing sounded great. Now how bout changing your username? :D

And where's the pics Scott?

danyeo":2rhisqza said:
glip22":2rhisqza said:

I think when you get amps of this caliber all in the same room it's about what flavor you prefer. I was never familiar with Larry amps at all before this so i had no opinions whatever way about them. I came out thinking it was a very good sounding amp, when Mike set it to it's Marshall voicing i thought it was pretty convincing.

But after hearing my Cali mod in the room with all these other amps I'm pretty damm happy i own this amp because it MORE than held it's own IMHO. But heck, give me a Meathead and no other amp ever and I'd be happy. And i can't say enough how good the Bones sounded.

I agree, when it comes to Marshall type voicings we had quite the display there and imo there were no losers to be had. I would be happy with any of the amps that were there.

it just depends who is playing what, no amp sits there with a price tag on it and craps on another ;)

danyeo":3pdwowld said:
DiezelMonster":3pdwowld said:
carl roa":3pdwowld said:
glip22":3pdwowld said:

C

You're a lucky SOB, the thing sounded great. Now how bout changing your username? :D

And where's the pics Scott?

Will post tonight, after the display you guys put on I played for over 3 hours yesterday :lol: :LOL: Dude I love the touch you have.

Yeah I have my Joe Jonus pic :lol: :LOL:

carl roa":ayf1w8om said:
glip22":ayf1w8om said:

Listen, I want the Meathead as well, so I've already started mapping out the local banks I think I can knock over in a reasonable amount of time and still make a clean getaway...

Anybody else In??!?? :lol: :LOL:

Gainiac":3fhu5ot6 said:
carl roa":3fhu5ot6 said:
glip22":3fhu5ot6 said:

Listen, I want the Meathead as well, so I've already started mapping out the local banks I think I can knock over in a reasonable amount of time and still make a clean getaway...

Ohhh, so you want the Meathead do you? :lol: :LOL:

Hey Guys !
I made it back alive from the beautiful 10.5 hours drive :doh:

I want to thank everyone for coming out on a holiday weekend. It was awesome to see old friends and new faces. Big thanks to Greg for dragging out his Mills cab (scratch free I hope :lol: :LOL: ) and his recording gear as well as to Carl and Dave for the audio and video as well :rock:

I had a great time hanging and the time just flew by. Lots of serious chops going on which was very inspirational to me.

Looking forward to the next time we can get together :rock:
Cheers,
Mike

killertone":1msk66lb said:
The one thing you will miss dearly is my EVIL FUCKING PUMPKIN!!!!! It fucking destroys! :rock: :rock: :shocked: :poke: :D

Full review with clips coming soon... :thumbsup:

photo.jpg

Glad that you are digging the amp Jason. Also glad that UPS didn't destroy it :thumbsup:

There was a Hulk modded Marshall there that Chris was kind enough to get back from his singer to loan me for the trip down. Thanks Chris!

novosibir":1tkqkare said:
Woo-hoo :thumbsup:

The amp's front looks nearly like the front of one of my 'Archetype' reference amps, the upper one with the head case of the middle one:

200_1202.jpg

The upper one was a '69 Super Bass
The middle one is a '71 Super Lead (a rarity with Drake irons instead of Dagnall)
The bottom one is a '73 Super Bass

The girl btw. is not my girl friend - it's my stepdaughter (who I've trained to press the eyelets into my boards).

Larry

Hey Larry,
Those are some sweet looking amp! Your stepdaughter is also very beautiful :thumbsup:

Did you bring those to your amp fest this past weekend? You'll have to shoot me a link if there is any pics and or clips of that :rock:

Your Dino rocked the house on Sat. :rock: The amp fest went quickly like ones own wedding day :lol: :LOL:

Cheers,
Mike

psychodave":1e06mppm said:
Wow, I just got home. The belt prky was terrible :thumbsdown:

Anyway, I had a great time. Too many great players. It is really cool seeing the familiar faces as well as the new ones. I hope the videos come out good...
:thumbsup:

Dave, I'm sorry that you hit some shitty traffic. I really do appreciate the effort you put into making out the LI. You're a busy father/husband and I appreciate that, YOU ROCK :rock:
Cheers,
Mike

danyeo":2x65pk4g said:
Gainiac":2x65pk4g said:
carl roa":2x65pk4g said:
glip22":2x65pk4g said:

Ohhh, so you want the Meathead do you? :lol: :LOL:

Listen, just because my chops suk'd ASS saturday doesnt mean I didnt hear all the tone possibilities in that MONSTER.... :lol: :LOL:

Gainfreak":2p0rbv91 said:
lolzgreg":2p0rbv91 said:
Amp fest was awesome. Can't wait to get the audio together.
Greg, you and all the guys there were awesome!! great meeting you and that clip you just posted sounds HUGE :rock: :rock: :rawk:

+1, it was excellent to meet new people. Thanks for coming out :rock:

Digital Jams":2bckiivy said:
LIE traffic SUCKED :thumbsdown: :doh: :cry:

Lets see how my day went........................

Forgot my Cali mod in the mudroom, Danyeo saved my ass by bringing his.

Broke my jack to my CAE cab by lifting it off another cab with the cable stick plugged in breaking the sleave into two pieces.

Totally freaking froze when the camera went on.

Forgot my guitar cable at the studio.

Killer day though :D

Enjoyed everything and as I stated standing in front of the wall of Camerons and Fortins asking which one would you pick if only one? I would have no clue. Well money be damned it would be the Meathead of course.

Greg, thanks for bringing the Mills and your whole recording rig, that was the most documented ampfest I have ever been to!!!

The Mills is great cab cabinet very well made but I still need to hear one with my speakers of choice but understand why Greg choose what he had in there. I agree with you though, get all v30s in there.

Wish I had a dedicated 2 hours with the Larry, too many options to go through everything but I liked the Brit and clean channel very much. Thanks Mike for bringing that amp, very cool to jam on such a rare amp.

:lol: :LOL: Scott you have a great sense of humor. No worries about forgetting the Cali and the busted speaker jack.
The important thing is you showing up man :thumbsup:

For the next amp fest, you'll be able to spend more time with the Dino. Since I'll have some of my own amps in the local area for the next time, I'll have the room in the car to bring down the British Purist which is a super sweet sounding amp. I'll ask Squarehead if I could borrow his Steavens Poundcake 100w MKII for everyone to check out as well.

novosibir":2jpfekma said:
lolzgreg":2jpfekma said:
You know, I liked the Larry in the room, but it REALLY did not sound great under the microphone.
That's something, what I absolutely can't imagine and I don't have any 'concrete' idea for a possible reason, because what I've heard yet from studio techs and the mixing console guys on several tours almost always has been quite the opposite. Either they said, that the DINO is the best, or is one of the best amps, they've ever had under the microphone. And I've spent myself altogether at least about 150-200 hours in several studios while the developing phase(s) of the DINO and during the recording of some bands, to not only get it sound right, but to get it also sound right under the microphone.

Unfortunately I wasn't around and couldn't hear it myself. But can you please ask Mike, whether he maybe has changed something in the amp's circuit after his liking or by experimenting with the amp - or/and whether he maybe has pulled the orig. NOS tubes and has swapped in something different - or/and maybe he even has removed the orig. OT, to have it re-engineered and has swapped in another one temporarily?

I don't have any other idea, why this has happened as you said, because I know, that the DINO at least is one of the best amps under the microphone. If it's different, then all the other studio techs before must have been fools :confused:

Larry

Hey Larry,
Don't sweat Greg's comment. The amp sounded amazing! I just went to listen to the audio in the clips section. I think is sounds stellar :rock: It was Dave playing through it while I was showing him all the adjuments on the amp.

The amp has the original tubes in it and nothing was done to it except for the parts that you sent to me to change the British channel to bring it up to the signature JS Dino with the British heavy crunch and British Hot Rod 1. The clip was done on the Scream channel btw.

No way Larry :lol: :LOL: If I ever had a problem with the OT in the Dino, I wouldn't fuck with the masterpiece :thumbsup: I'd be contacting you and sending the original OT back for a replacement :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Mike

Back