Holiday Ampfest SAT Nov 28th Mike Fortin will be in Town!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Gainfreak
  • Start date Start date
stefvorcide":q0yhdsga said:
Larry, I hope you don't mind if your stepdaughter is in my background with your arshall amps and rebuild? :lol: :LOL:
If you'd like to get it also in HiQ 3648x2736px. then let me know!
My stepdaughter would feel honored :)

Larry

novosibir":82y04jtt said:
glpg80":82y04jtt said:
i think the dino and hulk dominated from the soundclips...
Yes, the Hulk discloses an interesting sound!
Is this the rebuilt JCM800 with the "Grind & Girth" controls?

I have a Hulk (the one I posted a pic of earlier in this thread that is a Rebuilt 1959 in orange levant) and the girth and grind controls are extremely useful. I can see how the Hulk would dominate...it is really a great amp. That being said I would kill to play a Dino. :thumbsup:

killertone":3k5k6mnl said:
That being said I would kill to play a Dino. :thumbsup:

...when the Euro/Dollar exchange rate swings back in our favor. ;)

killertone":1aiayyl4 said:
I have a Hulk (the one I posted a pic of earlier in this thread that is a Rebuilt 1959 in orange levant) and the girth and grind controls are extremely useful.
Ah-ha :) As well as the Bite & Punch controls are in the DINO amps.
Seems, that the drop curtain is lifting slowly more and more ;)

Thanks for the info!

Larry

novosibir":161u00e0 said:
killertone":161u00e0 said:
I have a Hulk (the one I posted a pic of earlier in this thread that is a Rebuilt 1959 in orange levant) and the girth and grind controls are extremely useful.

Thanks for the info!

Larry

Larry do these controls work in the PA, or pre-amp section of the amp? What do they do?

jasonP":3vuyz1rg said:
novosibir":3vuyz1rg said:
killertone":3vuyz1rg said:

Thanks for the info!

Larry

Larry do these controls work in the PA, or pre-amp section of the amp? What do they do?

I know the the preamp version has it between the first gain stages
is the Dino controls a post loop EQ like a James or something or a filter for low and high end?

Can somebody please tell me what kind of guitar and pup were used during the second Cali clip? That is some sweeeeeeet tone. :thumbsup:

killertone":1ki2w0w2 said:
mhenson42":1ki2w0w2 said:
killertone":1ki2w0w2 said:
That being said I would kill to play a Dino. :thumbsup:

...when the Euro/Dollar exchange rate swings back in our favor. ;)

No doubt. :doh:

Natas........................ ;)

Or if you want to scrap every amp you own but saving some good vintage Marshalls................Meathead :yes:

heybanna":1rl1a50h said:
Carla FiFi here, Im glad that I didnt show up, Im just really not on the level of any of you guys but I do talk a big game behind the safety of my PC. In the end, Im really just a legend in my own mind and simply cant hang, its a good thing that Im so friggin delusional because if I ever accepted the truth, Id probably hang myself with one of my tits. The only thing that Im any good at is making excuses so Im going to take off and try to find a bra that doesnt bind as much, carry on

Quite interesting that you're the only person who wasn't there who didn't appreciate the work/time that Mike puts into this. Oh well, not everyone's opinion can matter :lol: :LOL:

Beyond Black":16hivibq said:
Can somebody please tell me what kind of guitar and pup were used during the second Cali clip? That is some sweeeeeeet tone. :thumbsup:

that was a suhr pro series with an aldrich in the bridge, not sure what was in neck but if you notice when i switched to the neck it was SUPER noisey, we were having issues with that. but for whatever reason that same guitar was fine when playing thru the meathead and the axefx(which i dont believe there is clips of). i dug that tone too! and couldve played that guitar all day

heybanna":6h10uy2c said:
Carla FiFi here, Im glad that I didnt show up, Im just really not on the level of any of you guys but I do talk a big game behind the safety of my PC. In the end, Im really just a legend in my own mind and simply cant hang, its a good thing that Im so friggin delusional because if I ever accepted the truth, Id probably hang myself with one of my tits. The only thing that Im any good at is making excuses so Im going to take off and try to find a bra that doesnt bind as much, carry on
Hey Hack! I'm happy with you, that you've already the best sounding amps at home! Enjoy it!
But maybe better go hacking elsewhere and keep the peace in this board! This is not HC ;)

Not offending, just my two flints!

Larry

Am besten ist es, wenn Du seine Beiträge einfach überliest, Larry.

duesentrieb":2nfm9id8 said:
Am besten ist es, wenn Du seine Beiträge einfach überliest, Larry.
Well. maybe the best for the future, simply to over-read such posts :)
Unfortunately there's no ignore list on this board.

Larry

Meanwhile I've listened to all the clips several times again & again.
And the funny thing is, if the clips wouldn't be titled, like a guesswork, then I'd choosen the Hulk Mod as for my DINO amp.
This clip at least is sounding closest to that, what's a DINO sounding like in reality - like one of the DINO's five voices.
Not spot-on, but damn close.

And I assume, that with the Hulk mod not the Mills cab was used, but a Marshall cab?
Moreover I'm sure, that it's 'not only' the Grind & Girth controls, what makes this amp sound like it sounds :D
Who can clarify? Mike! Can you give us some insight?

Larry

thegame":15ygn31r said:
I've rethought my long winded explanation about why the Dino may not have sounded the best on the recording. The amp will sound fine on any speaker, but on some better than others.

More importantly, I don't think its fair to compare these clips to Iced Earth recordings because Schaffer's right hand :worship: was not at the ampfest !

While all these awesome amps at the ampfest all have something different to offer, at the end of the day, my favorite amp to date, personally for my style, is the Dino :)

:)

thegame":f15gik6w said:
While all these awesome amps at the ampfest all have something different to offer, at the end of the day, my favorite amp to date, personally for my style, is the Dino :)
... what definitely makes me feel honored :)

Thanks!

Larry

novosibir":bw262s65 said:
Meanwhile I've listened to all the clips several times again & again.
And the funny thing is, if the clips wouldn't be titled, like a guesswork, then I'd choosen the Hulk Mod as for my DINO amp.
This clip at least is sounding closest to that, what's a DINO sounding like in reality - like one of the DINO's five voices.
Not spot-on, but damn close.

And I assume, that with the Hulk mod not the Mills cab was used, but a Marshall cab?
Moreover I'm sure, that it's 'not only' the Grind & Girth controls, what makes this amp sound like it sounds :D
Who can clarify? Mike! Can you give us some insight?

Larry

Larry,

From what I can remember the Hulk was in two different areas, one where the Mills cabinet was and the other area where the vintage marshall cabs were so I am not sure, Greg may remember or I could listen to the clips again.

I will say that the cabs were VERY different sounding and I for one did not really like the speakers in the Mills as I want a more upper mid sizzle vintage thing going on. We should have put that Dino on one of the marshall cabs, I know that it would have been way different on the recordings.

Just another reason to stock different cabs and speakers imo.

lolzgreg":eacq6avx said:
carl roa":eacq6avx said:
Also, I think Greg had initially set the mic up based on the Fortin Meathead ... my experience based on close mic recording tells me that moving that mic a fraction of an inch one way or another will greatly effect the tone. It is very possible that the mic was not in the best position to capture the best tones of Larry amp to disk ... and favored the Meathead. This issue of mic positioning is all black magic

Carl, I generally use the same mic positioning give or take a few tenths of an inch for 95% of my amplifier recording. I've mic'd up A LOT of amps in my short time engineering. Microphone positioning doesn't tend to favor one amplifier over another as much as tone stack settings do, or the cabinet itself. When you get too far from the dustcap of a speaker, it starts to sound muffled and nebulous. When you get closer, you get more clarity and sheen. I gotta try a G12H30 loaded cabinet at some point with that Larry!

Right on Greg ... couldn't agree more. Everything in the chain greatly effects the recorded tone. Would have been fun to try and record the various amps through the different cabs and speakers ... amazing how much variation can be had. All apples and oranges as to what works for a given application.

Back