Is Randall Smith no longer with Mesa?

• Thread starter Thread starter IIBornotIIB
  • Start date Start date
Some amps like Wizard, Naylor, Alessandro and Gjika are as good or better than ever. There’s a reason older wizards are cheaper. Others like Mesa/Boogie, Diezel, Bogner and Soldano had their great amps decades ago and gradually got worse with later versions. There’s nothing wrong with us pointing this out. Those guys should just step up their game. I would love see their latest also be their greatest

i bet it will be more a "limited run" than a reissue, kind of like the Page or Jones guitars Gibson does that sell out instantly and have a waiting list at $15k or whatever bullshit they go for
This ^^^

I would not expect this to be a production amp. Gibson owns Mesa now and they love their collectors. They will likely do a reissue "limited run" just like Orange just did with the Dual Dark. They'll hype up how these are all made by hand, in limited numbers, by Mike B himself (or whoever) signed by Randall Smith. They will sell out before they're even announced and have an outrageous price tag. The vast majority of them will go into collector's hands just like the Adam Jones guitar, the Greeny remake, etc.

This is the Gibson formula for this kind of thing.

I’m a mesa fanboy but I don’t know. Randall was mesa but guess what…they are still making them. Now they start manufacturing in china then I’m out. Kinda like when I worked for Sturm-Ruger..old man Ruger wasn’t there but we still made guns. Even after he died we kept making boom sticks…. Did I make any sense? Sorry I think I had a stroke….😂🤪

Damn I need to send my tremoverb in for some work, a walkout would be bad. I definitely assumed Smith would want to retire at his age rather than start a new amp line.

Even if they did release a perfect reissue, dudes with original models will be posting threads about how the reissue sounds small/cold/plastic/artificial etc compared to their original pixie dust blessed amps
They could never release a “perfect” reissue with modern day components. The old trannys and circuitry are the “pixie dust” that you speak of, and the reason why vintage amps sound more raw and organic than modern day amps.
No reissue of a great vintage amp ever lives up to the original, EVAR.

They could never release a “perfect” reissue with modern day components. The old trannys and circuitry are the “pixie dust” that you speak of, and the reason why vintage amps sound more raw and organic than modern day amps.
I guess you didn't hear about the recent discovery of crystal lattice in Southern Sudan

I don’t know anything about electronics, but what is it that they can’t replicate in the trannys and whatever else? Is it like the Yamaha ns10s where the tree they used to make them went extinct or something? Did they run out of a certain metal??

I don’t know anything about electronics, but what is it that they can’t replicate in the trannys and whatever else? Is it like the Yamaha ns10s where the tree they used to make them went extinct or something? Did they run out of a certain metal??
Seems like some can get closer than others. The peavey transformers come to mind. The 1992 series vs the OG block letter.

There was a time and a place, and in that place, there was magic.

I'm not an expert by any means but my understanding is that the way they used to make transformers is now considered environmentally unfriendly. They use new methods to try to replicate the old transformers but there's much disagreement on the internet about the results of these new methods. I also think there's a "broken in" use component as well.

That said, there are plenty of videos out there like this that show almost no difference. So could just be a bunch of internet hooey. Who knows.

I'm not an expert by any means but my understanding is that the way they used to make transformers is now considered environmentally unfriendly. They use new methods to try to replicate the old transformers but there's much disagreement on the internet about the results of these new methods. I also think there's a "broken in" use component as well.

That said, there are plenty of videos out there like this that show almost no difference. So could just be a bunch of internet hooey. Who knows.

Ah ok, I should have figured something like that, I know car guys who can’t get paint and whatever else like they used to for those reasons

Me neither but I never understood it either. Wait what?

But I have a feeling China is involved either in the making of components or the making of steel.

And yeah, like @hellzington is saying. ROHS for the loss.

This is the Gibson formula for this kind of thing.
Yep. After all, it is really just a brand. It's not an instrument. Who actually cares about the product, let alone a quality one?

^ I like the idea of Randall and Mike B going on their own to become what they started with. A boutique amp builder. They would have to rename everything of course and make a slight tweak to each circuit as to not get caught copying their own work :LOL:

Mike BII++
Quad Rectifier (aka Ballbuster)
Triple Cloned
Road Queen
Silhouette
Fillmemore
Elyctra Died
Trans Nomadic
Trem-O-ling
Lonely Star
Badlanded?

Of course I'm kidding. I love Mesa Boogie and the whole thing w Gibson gives me a sad face :(
Don’t forget about the Queen Viper

How new Wizards are still good then?

And they’ll get Mustaine to endorse the amp via the Gibson connection with a snarky comment like, “finally, the MK IIC+ will be used to it’s fullest potential! Yeah, I know my old band uses these too but you ain’t heard nothin’ yet!”

Back