Is Randall Smith no longer with Mesa?

• Thread starter Thread starter IIBornotIIB
  • Start date Start date
According to my search on google and chatgpt the Output transformer makes a difference when it comes to the tonal character, harmonic quality and overall sound.

The Power transformer indirectly influences the reliability and performance but not the tonal character, because it is only responsible for delivering the necessary voltages to the components. Meaning the components need a certain amount of voltage to function.

So when I see people talk about how much of a difference a transformer makes on the tonal character and sound it is the output transformer they are speaking of.

I think this is important to point out because some people like me have replaced the US power transformer to a 230V input with a new power transformer, and it doesn’t make the amp less attractive because it doesn’t impact the tone.
However the Output transformer does make a difference.
You may be onto something there. Welcome to R-T :yes:

Hammond does custom transformers from what I recall, I wouldn't be surprised if Mercury does too. In which case, all bets are off since the manufacturer could be specifying stuff that's non-standard in production model transformers.
Fair point. I think I read that Wizard and Alessandro do custom order their transformers from Mercury, so maybe they just know how to spec them right, not sure

Interesting that all Mesa related threads eventually turn into a conversation about the Mark IIC+ being built again.

Last time I saw Randall he told me it can't be done.

I'm pretty sure he mentioned the transformer being illegal to produce under current environmental legislation.

None of the Mark II amps I owned or played on sounded the same. Near as I can tell no two sound identical.

So if they could make one it's not going to sound like the ones you heard or used.

None of the Mark II amps I owned or played on sounded the same. Near as I can tell no two sound identical.

So if they could make one it's not going to sound like the ones you heard or used.
So then if they're smart, to get the sound in everyone's head they'll make a reissue that sounds exactly like MOP. :ROFLMAO:

So then if they're smart, to get the sound in everyone's head they'll make a reissue that sounds exactly like MOP. :ROFLMAO:
It wouldn't be too surprising if they released a Limited-Run IIC+ reissue ($$$). Perhaps one associated with an artist, but maybe not.

Kind of like what they did with the King Snake. It's a Mark I with tweaks and different PCB layout/construction.

As far as the IIC+ goes, the transformers can't be replicated due to the EPA, nor are the tubes readily available (Tunsgram & Sylvania).

Even if it doesn't sound 100% the same, it is possible Mesa/Gibson could make a decent enough reissue, that people would still want it.

You never know. Gibson has at last count maybe 672 les Paul reissues of some sort, artist, year, color etc. so chances may be higher than expected. 🤷

makes sense from a material quality - I'd expect higher quality back in the '60s, but less consistency of quality - from caps to wire, and everything else; then factor in the MILSPEC vacuum tubes pre-mid 1970s which are higher quality than new tubes today...

I remember reading from a few sources that in the early days Marshall would use whatever they had around increasing the range of variability from one amp to the next, one hour, day, week, month to the next.

it's alchemy shrouded in mystery as many of the amp alchemists of the '60s are no longer with us.

THIS.

Reactions: rsm
Ryan "Fluff" Bruce just said on a MB facebook group that Randall was fired, and that his employees were told he retired but no one believes that. He has a you tuber reputation to defend so its quite the claim. still no official word, but there probably won't be.

So I just spoke to my friend, an amp tech at Mesa. He has confirmed that Randall is no longer with Mesa. He can't say much officially about details or anything. But he does think Gibson will make some sort of announce at some point. From what I can gather is that some shit went down and it might be that Gibson did Randall dirty. But I can't say for sure. The whole thing sucks. What an amazing company and legacy that Randall has built. It's a complete shame that he isn't going to have some sort of celebration for everything he has accomplished.

Ryan "Fluff" Bruce just said on a MB facebook group that Randall was fired, and that his employees were told he retired but no one believes that. He has a you tuber reputation to defend so its quite the claim. still no official word, but there probably won't be.
IMG_9039.jpeg

This is not a rumor at all, I don’t know how else to say it, I’ve seen the amp with my own eyes lol. Like, on a cab, next to the chrome chassis rev G model that’s coming out as well. They exist and it’s for sure a thing, this is not speculation or rumor.
This is true. There's a reissue 2 channel recto and a reissue C+ coming. A lot of us already know this. My guitar tech is an amp play tester and has already tested them.

Back