Is Randall Smith no longer with Mesa?

• Thread starter Thread starter IIBornotIIB
  • Start date Start date
A common theme you hear when a company is taken over is The Old Guys left..

Bean Counters only see the bottom line, but they don't see the knowledge and skill of the experienced individuals that dedicated themselves to the job.. You can't just replace that with a new guy.. Gibson will fuck this up, but the money train will keep rolling until the wheels come off..

The peak has been reached and is now in decline.. You can't push out the creator and expect the magic to continue..

^I thought he wanted to retire? He probably stayed on as part of the transition. Not sure why everyone is in such an uproar. Is it really that surprising? :dunno:

ive had "hand shake" deals with guys 15 years ago now approaching me to buy their business because they were "ready to retire", now they are 80 and still going with no end in sight lol. i have one buddy who bought a long running business off some old guy who is now showing up to jobs and talking to "his" customers and my buddy dosent know how to tell him go away. im just speculating but im gonna guess Randall just wore out his welcome, which if it is the case is more predictable than surprising, and if they did "fire" him that sucks but it is what it is. Selling a company of that stature but then still needing to work there in your late 70s is a little odd to me and sounds like a recipe for disaster

ive had "hand shake" deals with guys 15 years ago now approaching me to buy their business because they were "ready to retire", now they are 80 and still going with no end in sight lol. i have one buddy who bought a long running business off some old guy who is now showing up to jobs and talking to "his" customers and my buddy dosent know how to tell him go away. im just speculating but im gonna guess Randall just wore out his welcome, which if it is the case is more predictable than surprising, and if they did "fire" him that sucks but it is what it is. Selling a company of that stature but then still needing to work there in your late 70s is a little odd to me and sounds like a recipe for disaster

Given how long it's been since the business was sold, it wouldn't be surprising at all if his contractual time to stay on for the transition has finished. At that point, it's up to both sides on whether to extend the contract or renegotiate another. It could well be that he wanted to continue to be around and never came to an agreement with Gibson, which isn't really a firing as such, but could be seen that way from someone disgruntled about it.

I don't know anything about their deal or the situation, but know there are a lot of different possibly explanations that we have no way of parsing from the outside.

I don't even want to think about regularly removing and putting a Mesa combo back on the top shelf :LOL:
I've smashed a couple of fingers and tweaked my back a couple of times taking them off the shelves. I haven't dropped one....yet!

A common theme you hear when a company is taken over is The Old Guys left..

Bean Counters only see the bottom line, but they don't see the knowledge and skill of the experienced individuals that dedicated themselves to the job.. You can't just replace that with a new guy.. Gibson will fuck this up, but the money train will keep rolling until the wheels come off..

The peak has been reached and is now in decline.. You can't push out the creator and expect the magic to continue..
The second a company starts prioritizing “returning value to shareholders” over the innovation, products, services and PEOPLE that got them there, that company is fucked. Seen it a million times in the tech industry.

I can confirm he is no longer there. A friend works for Gibson. He didn’t know any details.

As for prices going up now I don’t see it. The already 30-40 year old mesa amps are all out of production regardless. Maybe IF they are going like Marshall and start using cheaper transformers etc. then maybe the JP2C or a MKVII.

In any case sad day for Mesa fans. Maybe he just got sick of all the corporate bullshit. Time will tell.

https://guitarbomb.com/2024/08/17/amp-legend-fired-randall-smith-leaves-mesa-boogie/
IMG_7789.jpeg

My favorite c+ is an HR combo. It's cute that everyone thinks the Graphic EQ c+'s are better! 😂View attachment 332712
It's cute that your favorite sound is "A Flock of Geese Honking at High Volume!" "Best of Now Available on 8 Track and Cassette!"
:ROFLMAO:

I couldn't sell the SR C+ I had fast enough. Honk city. Terrible.
The fast response was the only thing I liked about that particular C+.

It's cute that your favorite sound is "A Flock of Geese Honking at High Volume!" "Best of Now Available on 8 Track and Cassette!"
:ROFLMAO:

I couldn't sell the SR C+ I had fast enough. Honk city. Terrible.
The fast response was the only thing I liked about that particular C+.
Co-signed. I love Marks, but if I couldn't cut the insane mids on the amp it wouldn't be worth my time.

Back