Metallica tours with 64 guitars? JFC!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter thegame
  • Start date Start date
64 "guitars and basses" divided by 3 (James, Kirk, Rob) = 21.3 guitars per player

Let's say there are two touring rigs, an A rig and B rig, so setup and teardown schedules can overlap while the band leapfrogs between each touring rig for each next show. 21.3 / 2 = 10.6 guitars per player per rig

Now let's say each guitar has a backup. 10.6 / 2 = 5.2 primary guitars on average per player per rig, each with a backup.

Saying it like that makes it seem a bit less insane.

Pretty sure this is accurate. Saw a video of them for a tour (can't remember where) and it said they have trucks with A and B rigs and A and B sets so that they can set up in the next city while they're tearing down in a city they've just finished playing.

They need to ditch the bullshit transport excuses and just say it’s about knowing they’ll get the exact same sound, every night, every place. It may not be the best sound but it will be consistent. Probably saves time on setup and dialing it in. Not saying I like that but it may just be what they want to do.
Shit, I’ve only seen them once, around ‘94/95 and it was boring as shit (Suicidal were much better) and I’d been wanting to see them ever since I heard Kill ‘em All in ‘84. You just aren’t seeing that shit in Perth, Australia back then. Didn’t move to the States until ‘89.
So I can’t say I care too much how they do it now. It’s purely about nerding out on gear.

Last edited:
Pretty sure this is accurate. Saw a video of them for a tour (can't remember where) and it said they have trucks with A and B rigs and A and B sets so that they can set up in the next city while they're tearing down in a city they've just finished playing.
It is accurate, and it's the real life scenario. I wouldn't expect members with no touring experience to understand. Shit takes time to do or maybe some are too old to think properly anymore.

120,000 lbs of PA
224,000 lbs of those giant towers/screens

But 500 - 1000 lbs of tube amps in road cases and 4x12 cabinets for each guy is too much and too expensive to lug around?
I think their switch to Fractal was more based on getting a consistent sound night after night than amps/cabs being too expensive to lug around. Queue the "what's the point in sounding consistent if it sounds like shit" but I'm sure that's the real reason.

Who has brought the most guitars on the road ?

Anyone bring over a hundred ?

I like strings that last more than a song at most before needing to be changed, not sure who they are endorsed by but I’d probably buy the other company hearing that lol
you know its not because they NEED to be changed. it almost sounds like an OCD type thing. i wonder if james would really notice strings that were more than one show old.

The-Nielsen-Trust-guitarist-Rick-Nielsen-Cheap-Trick-Nitro-Bar-West-Reading-garage-show-2021.jpg

Rick Beatoffs message to anyone who doesn't like or agree with him wearing 3 guitars per song in his set and displaying dozens upon dozens on stage....

Go home you Corey Feldmans and get the fuck out of my concert!!!

Last edited:
That's a great point about all' the Guitars..
I bet they will say that everything is just dialed in and they don't need to worry about Tubes on the road..

I think their switch to Fractal was more based on getting a consistent sound night after night than amps/cabs being too expensive to lug around. Queue the "what's the point in sounding consistent if it sounds like shit" but I'm sure that's the real reason.
I’m sure that’s right but it is true it sounds like shit. Every recent live video I’ve seen has the worst guitar tone I’ve ever heard from them. They used to have MONSTROUS live tone. They need to hire someone like Leon Todd to help them dial those fucking modelers in.

Live, they had the luxury of and started using expertly mic’d isolation boxes for their 4x12 cabs in 1991 for that exact reason, consistency. And they stuck with that for a very long time, plus their FOH guy Mick loved it. Sure, the digital stuff is probably even more consistant but I bet the worst that 1991 setup ever sounded is still miles better than the Fractals.

I’m sure that’s right but it is true it sounds like shit. Every recent live video I’ve seen has the worst guitar tone I’ve ever heard from them. They used to have MONSTROUS live tone. They need to hire someone like Leon Todd to help them dial those fucking modelers in.

It's not the modelers.

James' tone has been bad since he started mixing Diezels into his rig. That's when his sound got garbled, splatty, and weird. I'm not saying the Diezels were solely responsible for that, but I'm saying that's when it happened. The Axe-Fx being able to properly emulate his garbled, splatty, and weird tube rig tone doesn't mean the Axe-Fx must always sound bad. It doesn't.

Also, the best of Metallica's live tone is incredible, but they've had some extremely shitty live tone with tube amps, too.

Last edited:

Back