Metallica tours with 64 guitars? JFC!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter thegame
  • Start date Start date
I think their switch to Fractal was more based on getting a consistent sound night after night than amps/cabs being too expensive to lug around. Queue the "what's the point in sounding consistent if it sounds like shit" but I'm sure that's the real reason.
This is exactly what it is. If I were touring I'd take a modeler out too versus having my tech spend half the day trying to figure out the issue with my signal chain across a massive stage. That's a waste of time with current technology. Their techs even talk about it in rig run downs. It isn't a secret. I'm dumbfounded that people think these big bands are trying to pull a fast one on them.

No need to worry about dirty power from one country to the next, tone differences from different voltages and tube issues. All of these artists still use tubes and boutique gear in the studio like the rest of us.

I'm pretty sure James tone is just thin and brittle because that's the sound he likes. Dude is probably somewhat deaf at this point from years of touring lol. Also it leaves more room for that one kick drum Lars uses 2x a set and Robs bass.

I think their switch to Fractal was more based on getting a consistent sound night after night than amps/cabs being too expensive to lug around. Queue the "what's the point in sounding consistent if it sounds like shit" but I'm sure that's the real reason.
Tbh, it was and the smartest decision they've ever made. Imagine the frustrations of having to EQ your amp and it's mic every single night on tour to make it sound somewhat pleasant.

If it wasn't talked about publicly, people here wouldn't know the difference. Nevermind the dumbasses who think Zakk has a bad tone in Pantera so the "feedback" and criticms mean very little.

View attachment 335172
Rick Beatoffs message to anyone who doesn't like or agree with him wearing 3 guitars per song in his set and displaying dozens upon dozens on stage....

Go home you Corey Feldmans and get the fuck out of my concert!!!
They grew up on the Rock River from Rockford Il and in the RRHOF. In the 70's during the Budokan craze my best friends sister was Robin Zanders GF and when band members were at his house in our town [about 20 minutes from Rockford] i was sworn to secrecy and couldnt say a word.
I stayed true to my friends but that was alot of pressure for a teenager.

Last edited:
Live, they had the luxury of and started using expertly mic’d isolation boxes for their 4x12 cabs in 1991 for that exact reason, consistency. And they stuck with that for a very long time, plus their FOH guy Mick loved it. Sure, the digital stuff is probably even more consistant but I bet the worst that 1991 setup ever sounded is still miles better than the Fractals.
Here's some recent live metallica recordings :

15048058263_05c06bf2fd_z.jpg

preview-77718-ppTYmuHDQx_0003.jpg

l-intro-1696987023.jpg

never-never-land-humpty.jpg

Last edited:
They need to ditch the bullshit transport excuses and just say it’s about knowing they’ll get the exact same sound, every night, every place. It may not be the best sound but it will be consistent. Probably saves time on setup and dialing it in. Not saying I like that but it may just be what they want to do.
Shit, I’ve only seen them once, around ‘95/95 and it was boring as shit (Suicidal were much better) and I’d been wanting to see them ever since I heard Kill ‘em All in ‘84. You just aren’t seeing that shit in Perth, Australia back then. Didn’t move to the States until ‘89.
So I can’t say I care too much how they do it now. It’s purely about nerding out on gear.
I actually remember watching an interview a month or so ago where that's exactly the reason they said they do it. Real tube amps sound great, but due to power grid differences, the way power is routed in the venue, the lights, etc change the sound slightly and they can't do anything about it. But with their modelers, they say they can recreate the exact same sound every night, regardless of where they are.

Sadly, seeing Metallica in 2000 was the most disappointed ive ever been seeing a band, it was at Giants stadium along with Slayer, Slipknot and a bunch others. Lars was at his pinnacle of not even attempting any double bass, James and Kirk from what i could actually hear of them didnt even sound like they playing the same song, James voice had no grunt anymore.. it was just offensively terrible, especially comparing to Slayer and all the others who killed it that day. No guitar, amp or new strings was going to help them on that night.

Sadly, seeing Metallica in 2000 was the most disappointed ive ever been seeing a band, it was at Giants stadium along with Slayer, Slipknot and a bunch others. Lars was at his pinnacle of not even attempting any double bass, James and Kirk from what i could actually hear of them didnt even sound like they playing the same song, James voice had no grunt anymore.. it was just offensively terrible, especially comparing to Slayer and all the others who killed it that day. No guitar, amp or new strings was going to help them on that night.

Are you referring to the summer sanitarium tour? None of those bands were even on that tour lol. Same for the 2003 run.

Are you referring to the summer sanitarium tour? None of those bands were even on that tour lol. Same for the 2003 run.
Maybe they're referring to the Headbangers Ball MTV specials but ironically that's considered Metallica's best live recordings til this day, out of any era of theirs. Especially by the fans who were listening to them in the 80's.

JFC, it's like people here love to whine, make up shit and live in opposite of reality....

I love Metallica but both times I saw them, on the Black Album and Hardwired tours, it was a slight letdown.

I think when bands get so big, it is hard to retain that fire. I still love the band and their music but when it was smaller shows, it meant more and the true fans could really enjoy it.

Metallica's entrance is probably longer than their whole set opening for Ozzy. They come out, James is smoking cigars with 20 assistants, etc. It can't NOT feel bloated and too much.

I took my daughter to Green Day two nights ago and one of the best shows I've ever seen. The energy did not drop at all for over 2 1/12 hours. Rancid was great too!

The Stones don't seem to have the same problems..

Maybe they're referring to the Headbangers Ball MTV specials but ironically that's considered Metallica's best live recordings til this day, out of any era of theirs. Especially by the fans who were listening to them in the 80's.

JFC, it's like people here love to whine, make up shit and live in opposite of reality....

what in the fuck are you even talking about?? :LOL:

Back