New Mesa Boogie Amp: Badlander Rectifier

• Thread starter Thread starter Bxlxaxkxe
  • Start date Start date
I hope this is good but I have my doubts.
This is basically how I’ve felt about any new product they’ve released over the last 10 years and none of them fully lived up imo. Still gotta try one of these myself in person for peace of mind lol

The Mesa Cab Clone sucks compared to a TwoNotes Studio or Suhr IR. The Cab Clone kills off too much of the highs, muffles the lows, and sounds like you engaged a really bad tone sucking parallel fx loop.
Nah. There’s slightly less presence than the Suhr through the same IR, but the presence knob helps with that. I prefer the features of the CC IR. I have both sitting here, the CC IR sounds comparable to the Ox load, which I also have. It’s curious that the built-in CC doesn’t have the presence knob found on the hardware, I find it to be pretty useful.

I get that it’s supposed to voiced tighter, but it seem like it needs a boost in Ola’s video. It sounds great for an unboosted Recto series, but it’s not all the way there yet. I’m pretty interested in hearing more of this amp despite historically not getting along with Rectos.

IMO they should have just nixed the CabClone addition and released this at $1799 with the current feature set. Can you imagine the sales numbers? Then down the road you release the Badlander Coliseum 150w version with 4 channels, graphic EQ, MIDI, CabClone, on-board boost, more voicing switches, and a handjob switch and charge $3k.

Will the HJ switch be MIDI controllable though? Not sure it it a great idea in a 100 watter. Perhapd a bit too much punch for that. Might be a better idea for the 25 watt version. If it turns out to be a hit, I wonder if the digital modelers will be able to eventually get close to the real thing.

Mesa launches a product right. Full info on website, well written manual available. Doesn't seem that common anymore.

My take: I’m a huge fan of the twin channels. I’m disappointed with the lack of resonance control, no footswitchable effects loop.. yeah and no 16 ohm tap..

I’d rather try to get a multiwatt used.

the addition of having a built in loadbox and being able to load your own 3rd party ir INTO is really cool.. not sure how that will work. I’m assuming you can just send the dry signal too but will never find out because I won’t be getting one.

the name of the amp having something to do with some butt rock band is irritating to me but I totally get it. Less people are buying amps these days and they need to market to more than just metal heads.

Every single demo of this sounds particularly shitty to me. Hasn't the Recto been updated enough times? 3 channel, Reborn series, Multi Watt, etc. Every time they say the latest is the tightest Recto yet and now they're saying it again. Mesa = masters of repackaging the same old shit.

I agree about Olas tone sounding crushing. I attribute that to his playing though. He doesn’t downpick as much as he could but it sounds cleaner and more brutal than people who downpick

imo this is not a typical re-package. They changed a lot. Took away a lot of features, too... the addition of a loadbox/IR loader is a welcome refresh on any amp imo as long as they do it in a way that doesn’t put a date in the amp. Being able to load your own IR’s does future proof it. That was a good move.

REVV just released their mkIII (or more like revision..) and it allows stereo out IR which is very clever. Although one could just add a stereo processing effect to a mono IR? Can anyone explain how steep IR out would benefit?

I think Ola's sounding pretty good as well. #straightFace :rock:

Reactions: LCW
I thought his tone was fine. Not sure about muddy but maybe a bit washed out? Hard to explain. Fits what he was doing with it. My Single Rec Rectoverb is def more tight, clear and clanky than that and I'm running EL34s too - although that probably has nothing to do with it.

That said, I find Ola's videos often sound the same (at least his metal stuff). I've seem him do jazz and acoustic too so I know he is far more capable then people give him credit for. And a HELL of lot better than me and he is making a living trying out tons of gear so good on him right :yes:

As far as the amp goes - I like the EXACT same channel set up and the IR load feature in addition to multi-watt. Getting some serious gas over this amp.

This does not appear to be a "revision" of the rectifier, but rather a completely different take on it. I have a feeling that when placed next to a Dual Rectifier, they will sound quite different and it will be obvious to the player which one they prefer.

I see that as a good thing, I have a MultiWatt and dig it. This could be a cool change of pace while still having some recto qualities.

I placed the 50 on preorder. Damn you Sweetwater.

I figure, If I don't like it, I can probably sell it at a small loss, which I'm ok with, considering the massive amount of good fortune I've had with gear deals lately.

Will ship Dec 3rd, according to SW

Yep, this is just a different take and not a revision. It’s not replacing anything and they’ve done this plenty of times (remember the Maverick, Tremoverb, Roadster, etc)

The clips aren’t blowing me away but I love the idea. This is essentially what I tried turning my dual into years ago with tube changes and mods. Who wouldn’t want a tighter recto with a better loop that doesn’t need a boost?? The trick will be keeping the massive wall of sound with the tighter attack. IMO this shows that Mesa continue to pay attention to what people want and aren’t just rehashing old shit. Still, a real two channel revision would be cool to see someday:)

I could be wrong but I think Ola was using the Crunch through most of the video. I never really care for rectifiers but I like this one base on the 3 vids I watched. I dont think it will have me selling my Mark IV to get one though and since I'm trying to keep my amps down to a couple I dont see owning more than one mesa. That could change though. Definitely want to try one.

A friend said "badlander sounds like a cheap suv... Hyundai badlander". It totally does

I think it sounds cool. I'll definitely nab the 100w.

Do regular rectifiers have a Resonance control? Just wondering why people are dissapointed that it doesn't have one??

Personally I've never minded having to use a boost on any amp. Seems like a silly selling point "It Doesn't Need A Boost!" " I'll Take Ten!!"

Back