OUTSIDE of Eddie... Who's the most Full of it when it comes to their rigs?

• Thread starter Thread starter reignman454
  • Start date Start date
Not the most full of shit by any means, but Zakk has totally downplayed his Metaltronix rig from the NRFTW era. The most readily available "information" of his gear from the old Ozzy days says he used a pair of JCM800s from the get-go, even saying he used a Boss Super Chorus when that pedal didn't even exist yet!

Zakk's rig in the 80s was Metaltronix stacks, a giant rack loaded with Lee Jackson preamps and power amps, the SPX90, a Roland multi-FX, and the hidden Aural Exciter, with a pedalboard loaded with a MIDI foot controller (for channel switching), wah, and three Boss pedals: the SD-1, the PH-2 and the CE-3 (the last of which, outside of a rundown from Japanese magazine, you would never know he used).

In the 90s he switched to the dual Marshalls and trimmed down his rig significantly, but I bet the Exciter stayed in his rack for a long time.
Zakk used a JCM-800 combo into a 4x12 w/a Boss SD-1 to record NRFTW.

"Olsen also saved Wylde’s guitar tone. At Enterprise Studios, Wylde, who had tracked his parts using Lee Jackson Metaltronix amps, had been frustrated with his overall sound. At Goodnight L.A., he recalls, “I was talking to Keith about what I wanted from my tone, and I played him TNT’s ‘10,000 Lovers (In One).’ I was like, ‘Listen to Ronni Le Tekro’s fucking guitar!’ I had the Grail [Wylde’s 1981 original bull’s-eye Les Paul, with EMG 81 and 85 pickups], and Keith said to me, ‘All right, Zakk, plug into this.’ And it was a [Marshall] JCM 800 combo amp—the same one John Sykes used on the Whitesnake record [which Olsen co-produced]. We ran a line out to a Marshall 4x12 cab, I threw in my Boss SD-1 [Super OverDrive] and double-tracked everything. It sounded huge, and that was it.” For Wylde, distinguishing himself from the heavy metal pack on what would be his recorded debut meant not only nailing the perfect tone but also finding his own voice when it came to the actual playing. He achieved this on his solos through a process of elimination.

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/zakk-wylde-and-ozzy-osbourne-revisit-1988s-no-rest-wicked

Curious besides the guys I know about... Is it mainly the 80's guys who flat out lied about their gear or is it all genre's?
I don't get it.

Why be dishonest about your gear? Your sound and how you get it?

I'm always prepared to get some type of backlash that I have 30+ guitars in my guest room closet, as well as 5 pedalboards and 4 amps. But still, I'm not afraid to be honest with what I use, how I use it and what have you. It kinda amazes me.

I mean, artists/bands usually love talking and bragging about gear and there's nothing wrong with that. However, being dishonest about it is tacky as hell.
The classic line for me is when someone says I don’t know anything about this stuff. Like guys who say they don’t know anything about what they’re playing.
I know a few people like this, usually it's when I first meet them and they can feel often intimidated. However, it's after a few times of meeting them that they finally start to open up and you get to see that they actually do know a thing or two.
me.

Last edited:
I think it’s cool when musicians share their gear, but I wouldn’t hold it against them if they didn’t. It’s like the recipe to their secret sauce.

Post a clip.
giphy.gif

Back