Pickups don't matter when using high gain? Glenn Fricker is an idiot or deaf. Keith Merrow would like a word...

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnnyGtar
  • Start date Start date
@scottosan, I'm looking forward to when your pickup manufacturing is up and running. Everyone here raves about them!

Glenns point in the videos i watched is that pickups arent going to change your tone as much as speakers or amp will

Sometimes, but not always. Going from stock Kramer import pickup to a Suhr Aldrich was a massive change in my case. I once had a customer that wanted to turn his guitar into a metal monster. He had a Duncan '59 in his guitar. Took that out and installed an EMG 81. Massive difference.

I agree that speaker changes can also make a huge difference. I had a 4x12 import cab. Replaced the stock import speakers and put Eminence Governors. They definitely changed the sound. I yanked the Eminence speakers and put the stock ones back in. LOL

I'm no fan of modern metal by any means, but I've always loved that track. It's just that catchy.

Someone should do a YouTube video and title it "Glenn Fricker controversy YouTube videos don't matter, when it comes down to learn anything useful".

Absolutely!

mic drop boom meme.png

Glenns point in the videos i watched is that pickups arent going to change your tone as much as speakers or amp will
I've always found that to be the case until recently I was using a pickup that didn't play nice with my SLO 30 . Pretty trippy as that was a first for me over the years of swapping numerous pickups and amps

Keith Merrow demonstrates that Glenn doesn't know jack about pickups
If I recall, I believe Glenn implied he thought that video may be misrepresenting things. I think Glenn just has some bad methodology in his "studies". Ignoring all other possible quibbles, a couple pickups sounding the same doesn't mean all pickups sound the same. Merrow's video even shows some pickups sounding very similar, as well as some that sound quite different. Maybe not quite as much as speakers, but very noticeable and non-trivial. I hope Glenn tries to replicate Merrow's "study" and posts the results.

I'm waiting for Glenn to make a video titled "Tone doesn't affect tone".
This haha.

Everything in the chain, makes a difference. Some make a higher % than others, but it all matters. If this clown actually has a job in recording ANYTHING, his employer needs to do a double take on his employment.

This haha.

Everything in the chain, makes a difference. Some make a higher % than others, but it all matters.
I agree, largely, but would hasten to add that if something is a small enough % of the equation it's essentially irrelevant for most cases. Not asserting that pickups are irrelevant, only that something being part of the equation does not alone make it relevant.

I just admire anyone who goes to the trouble of changing out pickups for this type of test, hats off (y)

I find the best way to watch this video is to just jump around randomly all along the timeline..you can really hear the differences that way

Back