What Amp Did Warren DeMartini Use on Out Of The Cellar ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ben Waylin
  • Start date Start date
From the info back in '86 '87 he used an old Plexi on 10. Also the Rivera Champ. But if you want ANY Warren tone....just buy a JMP Super Lead non master volume, a Duncan JB and crank it to 10......
George Lynch told the story of a Superlead that Warren had, that was magical...and George tried to steal/borrow it more than once lol...he said the plan was to somehow take it into Warren's bathroom while he was distracted and put it outside through the window haha. I'd bet that was the main amp used up till the SLO days.

Yeah, so hammered nailed what Warren used on the Out of the Cellar leads by posting the above video on the first page of this thread. In the video, Warren says a Fender Champ and then immediately corrects himself and says Super Champ. If you buy a Fender Champ or Vibro Champ you are going to be very disappointed. If you have played an early to mid 80's Fender Super Champ you will know. Need more proof? How about this video of George Lynch in the Dokken days warming up backstage through a Fender Super Champ. It starts around the :11 second mark and you can see the Super Champ on the ground behind George. That's what those amps sound like straight in. They were killer. There are 7 of them on Reverb right now starting at about $1400

I've listened to the clips on YouTube and I have a hard time hearing how those tones are coming from a superchamp but the disconnect may be the little crappy on board speakers vs pumping it through a 4x12.

Old thread but ever so often you get more information.. it appears that the Marshall tones you hear are 4 hole converted to 2203 preamp. So you get that plexi filtering but that cascaded pre. See a sound comparison in this thread.

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/one-of-warren-demartinis-amps.134677/page-2

So the magic is/was cascading for more gain and? Drumroll...... ✋️ hands. Everyone's favourite argument here. Friedman confirmed the cascade on one of his tonetalks.
Specific to servicing Warren's amp.

George Lynch told the story of a Superlead that Warren had, that was magical...and George tried to steal/borrow it more than once lol...he said the plan was to somehow take it into Warren's bathroom while he was distracted and put it outside through the window haha. I'd bet that was the main amp used up till the SLO days.
Likely the one with cascaded preamp. It's like running an 800 hard with a hot humbucker and pulling back the preamp gain to tighten it up.

Likely the one with cascaded preamp. It's like running an 800 hard with a hot humbucker and pulling back the preamp gain to tighten it up.
Pretty sure I read it was just a stock one, that had unusually high amounts of natural gain, Ala EVH's 68. Warren, like most pros had tens of old Superleads.

Is Warren still using Diezels ?
He really only used the Diezel VH4 on two Ratt tours (2005 and 2007). Ever since, for live shows, it's been the SLO (or rented Marshalls for one-off shows), including the gigs with Kings of Chaos from more recent years.

He did use the VH4 (along with the SLO) when recording Infestation though.

He really only used the Diezel VH4 on two Ratt tours (2005 and 2007). Ever since, for live shows, it's been the SLO (or rented Marshalls for one-off shows), including the gigs with Kings of Chaos from more recent years.

He did use the VH4 (along with the SLO) when recording Infestation though.
Thanks man !

It sounds like a plexi.

It might be a mike soldano or Jose modded plexi, certainly

but invasion of your privacy was recorded and came out before the SLO was even prototyped IIRC

The magic plexi was not on Out of the Cellar because he didn’t own it yet. He bought it out on tour at Angela Instruments (a well known vintage Marshall dealer back in the day, on the east coast somewhere), this story is in Richie Fleigler’s book about amps, and they (Marshall) used it and one other vintage plexi to copy for the 1959 reissues in the 90s. Warren’s amp had high plate voltage and sounded fantastic but was unstable. The other amp sounded just as good, but had more normal voltages and thus could be certified by UL, so they used that amp. His SD1 was certainly in use. The Super Champ was run through an Orange (old vintage) 4x12 cab with EV speakers that probably came to him from Jake E Lee after Jake got the Ozzy gig and could afford new cabs (still loaded with EVs). The story has been told that Out of the Cellar was recorded with the same gear they hauled around through the clubs. Beau Hill said they had ONE good rig between both of them and they both used it for their parts on the record.

The story I read was George was at a party at Warren’s, he walked by a room and saw a couple of old Marshall heads, so he put them by the door and left without saying goodbye… few weeks later Warren is at George’s for George’s daughter’s birthday party, and the two Marshalls are sitting in George’s living room with For Sale signs on them. Neither was the magic plexi. Apparently Warren won’t let anyone use the amp, George and Jake have both asked to use it. The only person that I know for sure has played through it was Jeff Beck, because Warren and Jon Bon Jovi drove to Warren’s house to get it when Beck was doing his bits on Blaze of Glory. They got back to the studio with it and plugged him in and… he was meh about it. Warren was crushed.

The story I read was George was at a party at Warren’s, he walked by a room and saw a couple of old Marshall heads, so he put them by the door and left without saying goodbye… few weeks later Warren is at George’s for George’s daughter’s birthday party, and the two Marshalls are sitting in George’s living room with For Sale signs on them. Neither was the magic plexi. Apparently Warren won’t let anyone use the amp, George and Jake have both asked to use it. The only person that I know for sure has played through it was Jeff Beck, because Warren and Jon Bon Jovi drove to Warren’s house to get it when Beck was doing his bits on Blaze of Glory. They got back to the studio with it and plugged him in and… he was meh about it. Warren was crushed.
I read the story by George where he talks about trying to 'steal' it. I forget what mag that was in, but it's out there. Warren said it had huge 'sag' like EVH's plexi. Not a lot of output but distorted very quickly. Like the PT was on the way out.

I read the story by George where he talks about trying to 'steal' it. I forget what mag that was in, but it's out there. Warren said it had huge 'sag' like EVH's plexi. Not a lot of output but distorted very quickly. Like the PT was on the way out.
It’s the one I just wrote out. He “stole” the amps from Warren’s house, and later made a joke out of it with the For Sale signs.

It’s the one I just wrote out. He “stole” the amps from Warren’s house, and later made a joke out of it with the For Sale signs.
I thought it was a little different? I'll try to find it. Funny stuff though...

They got back to the studio with it and plugged him in and… he was meh about it.

Honestly that's what I thought.

Warren always sounded great and Invasion is probs in my top 10 80s metal albums, but I don't hear his tone as something Lynch, Jake, Sykes, EVH etc couldn't have achieved with a few (or no) changes to their rigs.

Honestly that's what I thought.

Warren always sounded great and Invasion is probs in my top 10 80s metal albums, but I don't hear his tone as something Lynch, Jake, Sykes, EVH etc couldn't have achieved with a few (or no) changes to their rigs.
Well, maybe I didn’t explain it right. My point was Beck wasn’t particularly impressed with the amp, and Warren was crushed. Later on, Warren was more pragmatic about it and said that Beck had been using Marshalls since they were new and he’d heard them all so he was more experienced/less jaded by stuff. He’d been around the block so to speak. To me, Invasion is the best of all that stuff except EVH. Lay It Down is crazy good. HOWEVER, my personal opinion is that Ratt benefitted from Beau Hill because he got involved with their songwriting and had great ideas. Dokken never really had that. Quiet Riot didn’t have that. Rough Cutt didn’t have that. Jake didn’t have that. You can hear it in Winger and Warrant too. Beau Hill was the man for all that stuff, from a production standpoint AND songs.

Edit I give Jake a huge pass because being in Ozzy didn’t really allow him to be himself. He wasn’t in charge of anything. Ozzy would twist up his songs or riffs and the hired gun producers would hack up his tones. The playing on the two Ozzy albums is great but some of the songs are weak. IMO.

Last edited:
I wish I could remember the story exactly word for word.
But Scott Splawn met Warren at a hotel after a show to show him his prototype head or was a modded Marshall. That's the part I don't remember.
Warren did no talking his tech did.
Warren would whisper into his tech's ear.
He liked what he heard but wanted it for free. Scott left with his amp.

That is the way I heard it.
I wish I could find that old post ;)

It may have been a modded Marshall the more I think about it.

I don't think Ratt would have been the same band without Warren. His solos had this phrasing and use of notes that was outside the bounds of what a lot of players were doing at the time.
I don’t think Ratt would have been as good without ANY of the band members OR Beau Hill, OR Doug Morris (I think) who was the guy that said he’d sign them only if Beau Hill would produce them. The EP to Out of the Cellar is a CRAZY leap in quality.

Back