What Amp Did Warren DeMartini Use on Out Of The Cellar ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ben Waylin
  • Start date Start date
Here's one, this is what I remember reading....

"I remember an interview where Lynch said he stole one of DeMartini's best sounding Marshalls from Warren's house. Said he had to use the bathroom, grabbed the head, put it outside the window, then took it when he left."

Here's the answer I've managed to gather so far from the Internets:

1. a plexi

2. Soldano SLR

3. Laney

4. JCM800

5. No, this album they recorded with Marshalls, but endorsed Laney

6. no, that's pure Soldano tone.

7. no, he always had a number one 19xx plexi. He used it for everything up to (album).

8. yeah, but he played Laneys on tour

9. those weren't real amps. he had a plexi under the stage.

10. no it was a Soldano, with fake Laneys.

11. what about the dual EQ setup?

12. oh yeah, boost 800hz pre, cut 800 hz post.

13. yeah but that was only on out of the cellar with the plexi

14. I heard it was a plexi modified like a JCM800.

:unsure:
:unsure:

Oa56FYz.jpg

where ya been PLX?

I don’t think Ratt would have been as good without ANY of the band members OR Beau Hill, OR Doug Morris (I think) who was the guy that said he’d sign them only if Beau Hill would produce them. The EP to Out of the Cellar is a CRAZY leap in quality.
Let's get this out there as well...Ratt benefitted greatly by MTV. Alot of those bands did but Motley and Ratt were at the top of the list.

Yes they had a good support structure with Hill, the label and mgmt. And they had a great look, MTV jumped all over that trend as they would do for all trends. Dokken was always a rung lower on the totem pole than Ratt in terms of everything. Ratt was headlining arena's after their first album went big, Dokken pretty much stayed a support act in arena's even at the height of their popularity, granted I always preferred Dokken and GL to Ratt.

Just as an aside, Ratt was one of the worst live bands I've ever heard, they just always sounded unrehearsed to me. Saw them twice in the early days, once as a support act, once as a headliner with Bon Jovi opening. Like the guy or not but I knew watching Jovi he was going to be a star and the band was on point.

Quiet Riot may have kick started everything in terms of "breaking" the whole LA metal scene mainstream but Kevin torpedoed that band with his mouth and I agree with you, they didn't have the support structure that Hill brought to Ratt as evidenced by releasing another Slade song as their lead off single on their second album. Just not a really good choice.

Let's get this out there as well...Ratt benefitted greatly by MTV. Alot of those bands did but Motley and Ratt were at the top of the list.

Yes they had a good support structure with Hill, the label and mgmt. And they had a great look, MTV jumped all over that trend as they would do for all trends. Dokken was always a rung lower on the totem pole than Ratt in terms of everything. Ratt was headlining arena's after their first album went big, Dokken pretty much stayed a support act in arena's even at the height of their popularity, granted I always preferred Dokken and GL to Ratt.

Just as an aside, Ratt was one of the worst live bands I've ever heard, they just always sounded unrehearsed to me. Saw them twice in the early days, once as a support act, once as a headliner with Bon Jovi opening. Like the guy or not but I knew watching Jovi he was going to be a star and the band was on point.

Quiet Riot may have kick started everything in terms of "breaking" the whole LA metal scene mainstream but Kevin torpedoed that band with his mouth and I agree with you, they didn't have the support structure that Hill brought to Ratt as evidenced by releasing another Slade song as their lead off single on their second album. Just not a really good choice.
You were at that show at the Roundhouse in Chattanooga with Y&T, Ratt, and Bon Jovi right?

You were at that show at the Roundhouse in Chattanooga with Y&T, Ratt, and Bon Jovi right?
Yep. Y&T sounded incredible live, they always have. Bon Jovi just had "it", whatever that is he had it and you could tell that right away. I guess at this point I've seen Ratt probably 5 times with and without Robbin and they're just not a very tight band on stage. Maybe it's Blotzer, I've never seen them without him. They just never seemed locked in. Saw them before that opening for Billy Squire and sound wise were just a mess. Looked great, people loved them but a mess live. Squire sounded amazing. Probably the best I heard Ratt was years later when Pearcy first came back to the band, can't remember the second guitarist at the time, might have been Corabi.

Last edited:

I’ve seen Ratt a bunch of times live and they had a few good shows and some pretty bad ones too . Stephen Pearcy couldn’t interact with the crowd the way like say Vince Neil could, not even close. The first time I saw Ratt they were opening for Sabbath , right before the release of the debut album . You can imagine how that went over . It didn’t phase 6’ 4” Robin Crosby though he was flipping everybody off that was flipping him off lol

I'm not a huge Y&T fan but I loved that documentary a few years back. Lots of respect for Meniketti, guy has lived and breathed RnR for decades.
That documentary almost brought me to tears lol I’m about 10 years younger than those guys but I’m from the same area where they were playing a lot of their local shows and seeing all that stuff in the documentary just brought back some great memories. Little did I know I was driving past their rehearsal spot from time to time for over 30 years and had no idea what it was. Actually drove by it today

I don’t think Ratt would have been as good without ANY of the band members OR Beau Hill, OR Doug Morris (I think) who was the guy that said he’d sign them only if Beau Hill would produce them. The EP to Out of the Cellar is a CRAZY leap in quality.
It definitely is! I tell you though, "Sweet Cheater" and "You Think You're Tough" are two of my favorites.

Me too !! But the production on Cellar is way better, and the edits to Back For More for Cellar vs EP make the song better IMO.
I'm good with both versions of Back For More but if I had to choose one I'd go with the EP version. I think the re-recorded version on Cellar was probably Beau Hills idea. When they did it live in `84 they played it the EP version way

oh 100%

I used to try to tone chase 80s Maiden before I learned that what I was looking for was actually Martin Birch in a box lmao.

Me too !! But the production on Cellar is way better, and the edits to Back For More for Cellar vs EP make the song better IMO.
The production should be better on Cellar.

What is amazing to me though is the EP, Ratt did on their own, yes it was remixed, remastered and re-released by Atlantic but it's pretty good for that era of pre home studio. My band at that time used to cover Back, You Think Your Tough and Wanted Man. We never covered Round n Round though, could never get it to sound good.

I love RATT and Warren but you guys are right, they never were a super consistent and dialed in band. Pearcy is a huge reason for that, Blotzer under performs ( I am just not a fan of him and Mick Brown really) and Warren for as brilliant as he is, needs a tight band behind him because he always dragged notes and phrases on his solos and played behind the beat a lot. That is what makes his leads so unique and so special. Let's be honest, nobody sounds like him either. Such an amazing player and I like him more than Lynch because of that. But if the band can't catch the groove live because they are wound up on cocaine and playing everything too fast.. it's gonna be an off night.

Ratt is a band I can pretty much only listen to because of Warren. The songs mostly suck, and the rest of the band is not good. And I LOVE Warren's playing and sounds (specifically on Reach for the Sky and Detonator), so it puts me in a weird position haha

I love RATT and Warren but you guys are right, they never were a super consistent and dialed in band. Pearcy is a huge reason for that, Blotzer under performs ( I am just not a fan of him and Mick Brown really) and Warren for as brilliant as he is, needs a tight band behind him because he always dragged notes and phrases on his solos and played behind the beat a lot. That is what makes his leads so unique and so special. Let's be honest, nobody sounds like him either. Such an amazing player and I like him more than Lynch because of that. But if the band can't catch the groove live because they are wound up on cocaine and playing everything too fast.. it's gonna be an off night.
Odd 'cause I always thought Mick was one of the better drummers of that era. Agree on Blotzer, I've often thought he was the main culprit for the band being way to loose for my liking live. It wasn't Robbin IMO in the early days, I always felt he kept the it together more than Blotzer or Croucier did early on before he was to out of it with drugs.

Odd 'cause I always thought Mick was one of the better drummers of that era. Agree on Blotzer, I've often thought he was the main culprit for the band being way to loose for my liking live. It wasn't Robbin IMO in the early days, I always felt he kept the it together more than Blotzer or Croucier did early on before he was to out of it with drugs.

Sorry, I probably should not have put those two together in terms of how loose they are. Mick is a tight drummer actually.. I just hate his choice of fills and the way he drums. I know there wasn't a lot of room for him in dokken but it is like he put zero thought into it. I have a hard time listening to him if I am honest.. that stupid Bonham triplet all the time and then the straight ahead minimal cymbals or hi hat accents. Drives me nuts. I think he played on Wicked Sensation didn't he? He was much better there. I didn't notice him as much and that's the way it should be when it comes to Brown :D

Back