What do you consider modern metal ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Techdeth
  • Start date Start date
When I see YouTube vids labeled as "Modern Metal" tone tests or whatever, I think Periphery-ish riffing.

I think Periphery is to Meshuggah kinda like KSE were back in the 2000's to At the Gates. Except I love ATG, Meshuggah, and KSE. Periphery were cool when it was a dude in his bedroom. But then later, everyone wanted to be like Periphery, and it got kind of old.

That's what I think of when I hear the term "Moderan Metal" being thrown around on forums and social media. Of course, there are great contemporary Metal bands doing their thing nowadays that's arguably better, or at least, less cookie cutter, than the Periphery style of Poppy Djent Metal.

I guess it's a generational thing. People used to say that about Metalcore too. Except Metalcore reminds me of At the Gates, and At the Gates is my favorite band, so it's kind of hard for me not have a soft spot for it.

I don't consider 90's or 2000's Metal "modern". However, for me, the 90's was the best era for Metal. The 80's were cool, I guess, but I liked the heavier Metal of the 90's.

English is not your native language is it Techdeth?
Lol . I’m always texting so fast between things I’m doing and don’t even look at the sentence after . I’m always checking real quick and responding. No time to look back and edit .

What’s crazy is so far none of us have said anything new from like this decade. That’s what I been thinking about . It’s like what’s like the Now sound . The mean Deftones Ohm too me us the most sounding 2020 album for my ears . Where is the new dudes . I hear some death metal bands that are new but they still sound like 10 years ago. I don’t hear a new evolution.

Modern metal kind of followed the 80ies hair stuff. So it starts somewhere in the 90ies up to 2000s. Lamb of God or Pantera comes to my mind. After that, the chugga chugga stuff and Metalcore took over.

Right now I am really digging Holocene by 'The Ocean' which came out this year. It is more post-metal than true kvlt metal I guess, but I dig it a lot.

Modern metal kind of followed the 80ies hair stuff. So it starts somewhere in the 90ies up to 2000s. Lamb of God or Pantera comes to my mind. After that, the chugga chugga stuff and Metalcore took over.
I always thought Lamb of God was just edgy technical Metalcore. Not that that's bad, but they got big around that time, and they definitely rode that train (to an extent) for a while.

They're great, don't get me wrong. But many people label them "the saviors of Metal", and that's kinda... weird.

What’s crazy is so far none of us have said anything new from like this decade. That’s what I been thinking about . It’s like what’s like the Now sound . The mean Deftones Ohm too me us the most sounding 2020 album for my ears . Where is the new dudes . I hear some death metal bands that are new but they still sound like 10 years ago. I don’t hear a new evolution.

I think about the same kind of things sometimes too. From the 60s to the 90s each decade of music for pretty much every genre was wildly different. So much so that we can hear a song we've never heard from a band we've never heard and almost always guess the decade. Part of that being the song itself but a lot of it probably being production as well. Since the late 90s its become a lot harder to differentiate. A lot of the music can't be placed by production or style unless you're already familiar with that genre. Technology is more about convenience than actual new ground at the moment it would seem.

Don't worry about it. How serious can you take a splawn guy anyway🤣
Good one :LOL: :rolleyes:

How do you define modern metal?

I see. You meant more recent metal, not necessarily modern metal. Because there are Thrash bands out there, for example, doing straight up Thrash that I would not categorize as modern. Generally, I would say modern metal started post Thrash in the 90's like I said.

For something more recent, I'll give you Slipknot.

I dig Polyphia, saw them locally this past September:

Good spot to watch the show...better live IMO

View attachment 269334

I don't consider Polyphia metal; "modern metal" is derivative schlock IMO; I'll go back to Death, Sadus, Carcass, Cynic, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Venom, etc.

What's new in metal today sound not only derivative to me, but also too similar. I find metal today boring; downtune to C, and chug. :rolleyes:

Hard pass for me. I'm going back to '80s hair metal, death, thrash, and prog, fusion these days.
It’s like you used my brain and your hands to type this. 👍

I do like Ola and John Browne though.

Reactions: rsm
I got really into Periphery like 10 years after the first album so it's still "new" to me so I'd call that modern.
This one still blows my mind. No idea how to play it myself so I think that's part of the mystique. This one is from 2014, which still seems "modern" to me even though it's almost a decade old.

I also like some of the Mick Gordon and similar styled stuff. Like this one. Relatively recent, 2020.

No idea what genre to even call that. I know it's got some kind of name, djent, electronic, but I mostly listen to old stuff so I'm not as hip to the current terms for describing stuff.
Edit: Ok one more of the Mick Gordon ones where you actually see the guitar haha. 8 string, low tuning, lots of keyboards and synthesizer stuff. Really cool:

What I can say with some confidence is that I never heard music like either of those two examples before 2010, and definitely not before 2000. But maybe it was one of those growing movements and I just didn't learn about it until later.

Good one :LOL: :rolleyes:

How do you define modern metal?

I see. You meant more recent metal, not necessarily modern metal. Because there are Thrash bands out there, for example, doing straight up Thrash that I would not categorize as modern. Generally, I would say modern metal started post Thrash in the 90's like I said.

For something more recent, I'll give you Slipknot.

Post #23

I got really into Periphery like 10 years after the first album so it's still "new" to me so I'd call that modern.
This one still blows my mind. No idea how to play it myself so I think that's part of the mystique. This one is from 2014, which still seems "modern" to me even though it's almost a decade old.

I also like some of the Mick Gordon and similar styled stuff. Like this one. Relatively recent, 2020.

No idea what genre to even call that. I know it's got some kind of name, djent, electronic, but I mostly listen to old stuff so I'm not as hip to the current terms for describing stuff.
Edit: Ok one more of the Mick Gordon ones where you actually see the guitar haha. 8 string, low tuning, lots of keyboards and synthesizer stuff. Really cool:

What I can say with some confidence is that I never heard music like either of those two examples before 2010, and definitely not before 2000. But maybe it was one of those growing movements and I just didn't learn about it until later.

The Clear EP is amazing.
I love all their stuff and all their side projects as well.
This past week all I've been listening to is Periphery II, that album just blows my mind.
Saw them at house of blues last month, utterly epic show and got to meet Spencer and Misha. I can't get enough of that band.
They give me goosebumps.

Back