What is the best modded plexi style amp you've ever played?

• Thread starter Thread starter PurityS.L.G
  • Start date Start date
Jose

A forum member here has the best sounding one I've ever heard. Just drips gain and tone. It has THE sound. Maybe he will talk about it. Of course I wont disclose who it is so he wont get pummeled with people wanting to buy it. :ROFLMAO:
Nice. What amp was modded?

My Nick Aldrich is just plug and play all business. I need to get off my ass and mod it to have a second pure clean channel footswitchable with its own 1 tone knob tonestack in the back.

I have owned a few modded Marshalls including 3 or 4 Cameron modded Marshalls. The Camerons are killer but to my ear and the way I play, I prefer a stock Super Lead circuit and I "mod" it with a Boss SD-1 or a Boss OD-1 or a Boss GE-10 or an MXR 6 Band EQ, or a Tube Screamer or with a strat I "mod" it with a DOD OD250. Every single one of them has a slightly different flavor of modded Marshall sound to them.

I had a more modern built "Jose" modded amp that came from another country and the owner is the nicest guy in the world so I won't say what brand, but I could not get rid of that thing fast enough. The diode clipping sounded so synthetic, like the distorted sound a kazoo makes when you blow into it hard. I messed with it for weeks and it would give me ear fatigue within about 15 minutes every time I played it. I could not sell that thing fast enough!

The diode clipping sounded so synthetic, like the distorted sound a kazoo makes when you blow into it hard. I messed with it for weeks and it would give me ear fatigue within about 15 minutes every time I played it. I could not sell that thing fast enough!

Sound like you're describe wizzer hell riser amplifier here

🤏🔪👂

I thought a 3rd power citizen gain that I had was very good for that “modded Marshall” sound

I have owned a few modded Marshalls including 3 or 4 Cameron modded Marshalls. The Camerons are killer but to my ear and the way I play, I prefer a stock Super Lead circuit and I "mod" it with a Boss SD-1 or a Boss OD-1 or a Boss GE-10 or an MXR 6 Band EQ, or a Tube Screamer or with a strat I "mod" it with a DOD OD250. Every single one of them has a slightly different flavor of modded Marshall sound to them.

I had a more modern built "Jose" modded amp that came from another country and the owner is the nicest guy in the world so I won't say what brand, but I could not get rid of that thing fast enough. The diode clipping sounded so synthetic, like the distorted sound a kazoo makes when you blow into it hard. I messed with it for weeks and it would give me ear fatigue within about 15 minutes every time I played it. I could not sell that thing fast enough!
This is the right answer.

Wizards are killer as well...and, I also played an amp that gets a lot of love here. It was tight, lots of gain...but no character at all. It's like the modder took the parts out that made it a vintage Marshall(a 79 2204) and turned it into a sterile boring modern amp.
No thanks.

And no, I won't name the modder.

I had 2 modded heads in particular that I love!

Many years ago I had a 100w Metropoulos Super Bass kit that Mark Cameron modded for me. Was a Jose style mod.

Recently a 100w 1977 Marshall Super Lead with a Ground Zero MOAB+ which I still have. :)

played an amp that gets a lot of love here. It was tight, lots of gain...but no character at all. It's like the modder took the parts out that made it a vintage Marshall(a 79 2204) and turned it into a sterile boring modern amp.
No thanks.

And no, I won't name the modder.

Must be grounded zero 🥸

Probably my Wizard w800. Even though it is Rick's take on his idealized 800, it feels/responds like a Superlead with more pre-amp gain on tap and tone shaping.

Volume up, the superleads mids fill out and bloom more, whereas the Wizard stays more linear.

I’ve played tried many modded marshall and this one in my opinion is the best I have the last amp that Mark Abrahamian-Rockstah (RIP)modded before he passed away.it’s a Rockitt Retro(# 46)1968 50 watt plexi spec 12000 series all hand wired turret board all top notch components that I sent to Mark Abrahamian to mod.I had the Rockstah Amplification logo made that’s the logo Mark Abrahamian designed but passed away before he had a chance to make them.I remember Mark A.called me on a friday this was September of 2012 telling me “ hey man I’m sending the amp to you when you get it please call me to tell me how you like the mod 5”, I recieve the amp on that Monday which was a three day wait,I find out the Mark passed away that Sunday night after a show in Nebraska, Mark was Mickey Thompson guitar player in Starship. It was sad that I couldn’t call him back to tell him that the amp just smokes-amazing Van halen 1 all day.. Mark and I would talk all the time about the Van Halen sound and amps in general.
I had a vintage Marshall amp Mark A modded. I got it from Steve K. It wasn't close to anything VH. All of the clips Mark posted sounded good because of his playing and the added things he was using during the recordings... like the 4X12, variac, room, etc.

The closest VH mod I played was from Michael R/T. But I've heard a LOT of negative things about him.

Back