Which sounds better to you? Speaker cable comparison clips.

• Thread starter Thread starter JakeAC5253
  • Start date Start date

Which clip sounds better?

• Clip 2

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Clip 1

Votes: 22 71.0%

• Total voters
yes 5150 with mesa cab rules. now tell us what the answer is :)

voted for 2 then decided on number 1 after listening again ha! i'm not indecisive at all...

OK, the comparison was of two different speaker cables. #1 was Monster, #2 was Pro Co. Knowing that it is a speaker cable and not comparing different boosts or something, does that change the vote for anyone as far as which they would prefer to use?

Not for me I voted #1 and I currently have Monster cables in rotation
really shock that the only difference was the cable thanks for the comparison

Cool comparison! I use Monster speaker and instrument cables and don't see what the problem with them is. :confused:

I use monster cables, and Like them. I also use planet waves, and mogami. I notice with monster cables, there is usually a little high end attenuation, and Planet waves is a little more clearer than monster, and I prefer mogami as fx loop cables.

Very sneaky! Great example of how much cables can effect your tone.

JakeAC5253":26i4phow said:
OK, the comparison was of two different speaker cables. #1 was Monster, #2 was Pro Co. Knowing that it is a speaker cable and not comparing different boosts or something, does that change the vote for anyone as far as which they would prefer to use?
were the length of the two cables identical to each other ? was the mic placement and other variables the same? What line monster cable did u use(the super high end or their lower end) ?? and finally, which do u prefer while in the room??

roadifier":1qdwpr8p said:
I use monster cables, and Like them. I also use planet waves, and mogami. I notice with monster cables, there is usually a little high end attenuation, and Planet waves is a little more clearer than monster, and I prefer mogami as fx loop cables.
I noticed the high end thing with the monster instrument cables when I compared them to the George Ls
but I never gave much thought to the speaker cables making this big of a difference.

Interesting. I liked #1 better. As much as I've bitched about Monster cables, I always forget I still use 2 Studio pro 1000 speaker cables. They haven't ever caused me any issues as opposed to monster 500 series instrument that gave me tons of grief.

Awesome comparison dude. I had no idea what I was listening too, but I would have never guessed it was a speaker cable comparison.

joepete77":1t2y5fug said:
JakeAC5253":1t2y5fug said:
were the length of the two cables identical to each other ? was the mic placement and other variables the same? What line monster cable did u use(the super high end or their lower end) ?? and finally, which do u prefer while in the room??

The Monster is 3ft and its one of those ones with black connectors that costs around 30 for three feet. The Pro Co is 20 ft and cost me a couple bucks less than what the Monster that length would cost. I very much prefer the transparency of the Pro Co cables both in the room and on tape. I dont want my cables EQing my sound, thats why I bought good equipment in the first place.

I listened to this when you first put it up and I didn't hear any difference. Maybe if I was listening with headphones and was able to switch between the two on the fly I might have, but there is about 10 seconds in time between hearing the first clip, stopping it and playing the second. In that 10 seconds any slight difference disappears. I think you could have posted the clips with absolutely no changes and some would still prefer one over the other.

bubbastain":z9krjn5v said:
I listened to this when you first put it up and I didn't hear any difference. Maybe if I was listening with headphones and was able to switch between the two on the fly I might have, but there is about 10 seconds in time between hearing the first clip, stopping it and playing the second. In that 10 seconds any slight difference disappears. I think you could have posted the clips with absolutely no changes and some would still prefer one over the other.

While the last statement may be true at a site like TGP, I don't think that is the case. Most people I have showed the clips to easily discerned a difference even if they were not guitar or music intensive people. Its not nearly as negligible as a good majority of the comparisons contemplated around here, and that's why I thought it was important to post it. It's probably what you are listening on.

I voted for clip 2, personally. Nice job on the cable shootout. I was actually expecting it to be a 5150 cap swap or something.

Silverjet":xgfyzeu5 said:
Very sneaky! Great example of how much cables can effect your tone.
It's pretty interesting to do A/B/Cs with different cables. I was blown away with the difference in the ones I was using to EA, Soar and Vovox. There isn't a better or worse, I found I needed to use neutral EQ across the panel with only clean signal, and then minor crunch signal to really get to know the cable differences.

I find this entire 'science' really interesting as it's an area of experimentation I'd not really delved into before. Never really thought twice about it, just thought there are cheap cables, moderately priced cables, and expensive (snake oil) cables - LOL. Whaddya know, I went with the snake oil cables... :lol: :LOL: Thing I found interesting is the EQ on all my heads changed once I installed all Vovox. Obviously there is a difference, this was a great comparo - thank you :thumbsup:

V.

Back