Which sounds better to you? Speaker cable comparison clips.

• Thread starter Thread starter JakeAC5253
  • Start date Start date

Which clip sounds better?

• Clip 2

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Clip 1

Votes: 22 71.0%

• Total voters
I'd like to hear the difference between the two with the same length of cable. I think cable length could be having more of an effect than cable quality.....

Silverjet":1h1neltx said:
I'd like to hear the difference between the two with the same length of cable. I think cable length could be having more of an effect than cable quality.....

I thought of this also, but the results seem counter-logical. Longer cable means more high end rolloff. The Monster cable should be brighter with the same low and mid presence and the Pro Co would be the same tone except duller in the high end. Instead what we get is the Monster sounding more midrange focused with less lows and highs and a bit fizzier sound while the Pro Co sounds more transparent throughout the entire audio range with more low end and clearer high end. It's probably got to do with Monster's "time-correct" windings. I don't prefer them is all, though I can see that there are many that do.

i think they sound very similar. the second one just sounds to me like it has a little more treble, is a little lower in the mix, or has a different mic placement or something.

JakeAC5253":2ptyex6u said:
Silverjet":2ptyex6u said:

I thought of this also, but the results seem counter-logical. Longer cable means more high end rolloff. The Monster cable should be brighter with the same low and mid presence and the Pro Co would be the same tone except duller in the high end. Instead what we get is the Monster sounding more midrange focused with less lows and highs and a bit fizzier sound while the Pro Co sounds more transparent throughout the entire audio range with more low end and clearer high end. It's probably got to do with Monster's "time-correct" windings. I don't prefer them is all, though I can see that there are many that do.
I agree it's odd, seems like it should be the other way around......

I run Harman/Kardon speakers with a sub, clip 1 was more articulate on the bottom end, and the mid-range harmonics rang through with more dissonance than clip 2.

My "Monster Cable" is clearly more satisfying than all the other cables out there....ahem
:yes:

JakeAC5253":17njaj1m said:
bubbastain":17njaj1m said:
I listened to this when you first put it up and I didn't hear any difference. Maybe if I was listening with headphones and was able to switch between the two on the fly I might have, but there is about 10 seconds in time between hearing the first clip, stopping it and playing the second. In that 10 seconds any slight difference disappears. I think you could have posted the clips with absolutely no changes and some would still prefer one over the other.

While the last statement may be true at a site like TGP, I don't think that is the case. Most people I have showed the clips to easily discerned a difference even if they were not guitar or music intensive people. Its not nearly as negligible as a good majority of the comparisons contemplated around here, and that's why I thought it was important to post it. It's probably what you are listening on.

I don't doubt there is a difference, I just couldn't hear it with my set up. Also, that 10 seconds that it takes me to go from one to the other makes me forget the one I just heard to a degree. I recorded two clips with one of my amps one time. One with EL34s and one with KT88s. Everything else was exactly the same. Other than a slight volume increase, I couldn't tell the difference in the recording. In the room was a different story. Thing is, both of your clips sound good. One doesn't sound better than the other to me. I've never been to TGP.

Tone is in the ear of the beholder.....Id like to A/B a 3 ft Monster with my 3 foot Mogami speaker cable, and see what happens. Clip one definitely sounded better IMO.

Great clips Jake, love the Gojira selection.
I heard a big difference in the high end. Not the amount, but the tone of it. The 2nd clip sounded like the highs were more artificial.
I liked the 1st clip better, but honestly could not figure out what the comparison was between until I just revisited the thread. To me, it sounded like the 1st clip was a 5150, and clip two was the Peavey Revalver sim of the 6505. In essence the same tone, but one was just more plastic/artificial sounding.

I can attest to the affect speaker cables have on your tone. I have many and have used many over the years. I've even been called on as bullshit by a few people who disagreed with me.
I think the ear is a lot like one's tasting palate. Some can distinguish more subtle flavors than others.

D-Rock":2kzaujj8 said:
I heard a big difference in the high end. Not the amount, but the tone of it. The 2nd clip sounded like the highs were more artificial.
I liked the 1st clip better, but honestly could not figure out what the comparison was between until I just revisited the thread. To me, it sounded like the 1st clip was a 5150, and clip two was the Peavey Revalver sim of the 6505. In essence the same tone, but one was just more plastic/artificial sounding.

I can attest to the affect speaker cables have on your tone. I have many and have used many over the years. I've even been called on as bullshit by a few people who disagreed with me.
I think the ear is a lot like one's tasting palate. Some can distinguish more subtle flavors than others.

Thanks. Every time I look at your avatar I want a Soldano amp haha. How is it working out for you?

JakeAC5253":17tl6np3 said:
D-Rock":17tl6np3 said:

Thanks. Every time I look at your avatar I want a Soldano amp haha. How is it working out for you?
It's great. Always inspiring. Very smooth and clear sounding. Thick and mean too.

Edited the thread title so as to be useful to the search function. Thanks for listening gentlemen.

nice comparison :thumbsup: I love my Monster cables. Aint gonna use anything else. (well I might if one of the Monsters breaks. Been waiting about 12 years now for that to happen)

Back